Newb question about bulk photo upload from Z cameras

Started 5 months ago | Questions
BlueCoug New Member • Posts: 2
Newb question about bulk photo upload from Z cameras

I’ve done a search of the forum but didn’t quickly find an answer—apologies if this is has already been addressed. What methods are people using for bulk uploads from Z camera to computer?

I’ve yet to find a good way to simply upload all files from my Z50 to my mac laptop. My older Nikon d40x would work if I connected camera to laptop via usb cable, but the Z50 appears to require special software for this.  This software apparently can’t work through a usb hub, which I need to use to connect the supplied usb a / micro cable to my laptop’s usb c jacks. SnapBridge is ok for moving pics to my phone, but not laptop. Connecting laptop to camera via Bluetooth hasn’t worked for me, and via WiFi is tedious—only worked one at a time through a clunky interface. I don’t have a card reader (never had a device that was as difficult to connect via usb before) and may buy one, or a direct usb c to usb micro cable, but unfortunately a hardware based solution will have to wait until I’m home from the end of a current photo taking trip where I’d dearly like to clear the SD card daily to have room for more pics.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D40X Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jthomas39 Contributing Member • Posts: 569
Re: Newb question about bulk photo upload from Z cameras

Power the camera on!

Using Windows: my Z6 plugged in with the USB cable works just like a flash drive. I can navigate to the Z6 folders and copy files as usual.

The Z6 shows up as a device when it's powered off, but without any folders or files. That's confusing. Once I turn it on, the files appear.

I assume you can do something similar with your Mac.

~~~~~

I'm not sure why a USB hub wouldn't work. Can you get a USB adapter plug, USB A to USB3? Then you can plug the camera in directly with the adapter. Or a new cable that's USB3 on both ends?

~~~~~

A card reader is a lot faster than the camera USB transfer. It can be ten times faster.

OP BlueCoug New Member • Posts: 2

I ended up buying a USB C card reader.  A little more expensive but it's fast and works well.

Flowchart
Flowchart Senior Member • Posts: 1,676

I am using the import feature in Adobe Bridge.. it neatly creates and places them in directories named after date. (all copied using an XQD reader... I tend to have one card in the reader and switch it with the one in the camera).

At times I add a short comment to the directory name if it's a special session.

BlueCoug wrote:

I’ve done a search of the forum but didn’t quickly find an answer—apologies if this is has already been addressed. What methods are people using for bulk uploads from Z camera to computer?

I’ve yet to find a good way to simply upload all files from my Z50 to my mac laptop. My older Nikon d40x would work if I connected camera to laptop via usb cable, but the Z50 appears to require special software for this. This software apparently can’t work through a usb hub, which I need to use to connect the supplied usb a / micro cable to my laptop’s usb c jacks. SnapBridge is ok for moving pics to my phone, but not laptop. Connecting laptop to camera via Bluetooth hasn’t worked for me, and via WiFi is tedious—only worked one at a time through a clunky interface. I don’t have a card reader (never had a device that was as difficult to connect via usb before) and may buy one, or a direct usb c to usb micro cable, but unfortunately a hardware based solution will have to wait until I’m home from the end of a current photo taking trip where I’d dearly like to clear the SD card daily to have room for more pics.

-- hide signature --

Knew very little about photography when I decided to buy the awesome Nikon D70; learned quickly that this expensive camera didn't make me a good photographer.
Http://KristerP.wordpress.com

Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,808

I simply insert SD card into the SD slot in the back of the iMac (27", 2015 build) and import. Mac "Photos" does not yet recognize the NEF files from Z50, so I'll import a RAW (NEF) file into either Nikon NX-D or DXO PL4 and process/convert there. If the file is a jpg then "Photos" handles it directly. If your laptop does not have an SD card slot, then using a "card reader" (they're pretty inexpensive) is definitely the way to go.  Trying to transfer wireless directly from the camera is slow, laborious, and chews up the camera battery.

One thing, don't forget to either delete the photos you've transferred from the card if you can.  Else the card will slowly fill up and the laptop will take more and more time to "look at all the photos" and you'll spend more and more time selecting the ones you want to d/l without repeating photos you've already put into the laptop.  Because I travel a lot (or did until Covid), I prefer to "save" photos on the SD card so I'll use several smaller SD cards rather than one larger one.  When a card gets full I just "lock and label" it and get a different card.

Once photos have been processed I'll then back them up on a separate SSD for security.

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,822

jthomas39 wrote:

Power the camera on!

Using Windows: my Z6 plugged in with the USB cable works just like a flash drive. I can navigate to the Z6 folders and copy files as usual.

The Z6 shows up as a device when it's powered off

and isn't it charging the battery when off?

, but without any folders or files. That's confusing. Once I turn it on, the files appear.

I assume you can do something similar with your Mac.

~~~~~

I'm not sure why a USB hub wouldn't work. Can you get a USB adapter plug, USB A to USB3? Then you can plug the camera in directly with the adapter. Or a new cable that's USB3 on both ends?

~~~~~

A card reader is a lot faster than the camera USB transfer. It can be ten times faster.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads