This month with your Nikon 1 - February 2021

Started Feb 1, 2021 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 456
This month with your Nikon 1 - February 2021

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2021: Jan

2020: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2019: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

-- hide signature --

WSSA Member #454 - Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,303
V1-iso3200-DxO Deep prime (old stuff)

Some of these images were already posted here. But I'm revisiting old stuff with DxO Deep prime, and I must say I'm impressed. Iso 3200 with the V1 is very challenging, but the results are, for me, very good.

These images were shot with the excellent 30-110. It didn't last very long. Not worth repairing.

I now have the 10-100 non PD, which works fine. Fingers crossed...

C&C welcome

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: V1-iso3200-DxO Deep prime (old stuff)

Very impressive results - they certainly don't look as if they were taken at 3200. I can't see any artifacts or residual signs of the noise now.

Very pleasing images.

richard

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 360
First shots

Hi,

I bought a defective V1 for next to nothing, "repaired" it (it really just needed cleaning of the eye sensor and some inner contacts on the lens) and today was the first day I could go out after a long period of heavy rain.

Here are some pictures in dull, overcast light.

Not many people outside

parking lot is empty

running after the train

RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,463
You never know what you might see

I almost always have a camera with me when I head out for any reason, and it lets me record some strange things that I might see while out. This Scion xB is a good example. It lives at a house near us so I go past it a lot.

This first shot was taken January 28, and I didn't realize immediately that the gray area is masked off from the adjacent panels prior to being painted.

It wasn't until today that I got a shot of it after the gray was painted red.

In today's photo it looks like some of the yellow paint on the rear door was pulled off when the blue masking tape was removed.

Yesterday the Scion was parked facing out so I was able to get a shot of the passenger side.

This side looks complete, except for the rear door handle which is still masked off a bit.

V2 with 10-100 non PD, raw, photoshop for all three.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

RichDitch

Impressive noise reduction!

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

iserp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Pigeon Lofts

I went to Villafáfila with hopes of getting some birds, but the day was windy and I had little luck. However, I got these photos of pigeon lofts (built in the style of traditional ones) with a bit of dramatic skies behind them.

André BARELIER

rich_cx139 wrote:

Very impressive results - they certainly don't look as if they were taken at 3200. I can't see any artifacts or residual signs of the noise now.

Very pleasing images.

richard

Thanks Richard, Yes,Deep prime does wonders. I will be less reluctant to shoot at high iso with the V1.

-- hide signature --

André

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER

RichDitch wrote:

Impressive noise reduction!

Yes. Thanks. The only drawback is that Deep Prime is a bit slow on my old laptop...That's why I use it only for high iso images.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER
Re: First shots

IWBF wrote:

Hi,

I bought a defective V1 for next to nothing, "repaired" it (it really just needed cleaning of the eye sensor and some inner contacts on the lens) and today was the first day I could go out after a long period of heavy rain.

Here are some pictures in dull, overcast light.

Not many people outside

parking lot is empty

running after the train

Nice pictures, but...all are a soft for my taste. Is the lens the 10-30 VR non PD?

Did you try the camera with another lens?

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER
Re: You never know what you might see

RichDitch wrote:

I almost always have a camera with me when I head out for any reason, and it lets me record some strange things that I might see while out. This Scion xB is a good example. It lives at a house near us so I go past it a lot.

This first shot was taken January 28, and I didn't realize immediately that the gray area is masked off from the adjacent panels prior to being painted.

It wasn't until today that I got a shot of it after the gray was painted red.

In today's photo it looks like some of the yellow paint on the rear door was pulled off when the blue masking tape was removed.

Yesterday the Scion was parked facing out so I was able to get a shot of the passenger side.

This side looks complete, except for the rear door handle which is still masked off a bit.

V2 with 10-100 non PD, raw, photoshop for all three.

Nice pictures, with great colors. Funny car. I don't know what is a "Scion". We don't have this model here in France.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER
Re: Pigeon Lofts

iserp wrote:

I went to Villafáfila with hopes of getting some birds, but the day was windy and I had little luck. However, I got these photos of pigeon lofts (built in the style of traditional ones) with a bit of dramatic skies behind them.

I like these pictures. Do you mean these pigeon lofts are recent but "built in the style of traditional ones"? They do look old.

On the technical side, in the 2nd picture, the building on the left is blurry. I suppose it was not situated at the same distance as the one on the right, hence the DOF wasn't deep enough to get both buildings in focus?

I think that for this picture, either both buildings should be perfectly in focus, or only the right one, leaving the left one frankly out of focus.

Just a thought...

-- hide signature --

André

RichDitch
Re: You never know what you might see

Nice pictures, with great colors. Funny car. I don't know what is a "Scion". We don't have this model here in France.

Scion is a brand from Toyota that they introduced in the United States some years ago targeted at young buyers. There were no dealer showrooms - order on the web or pick from a kiosk at select Toyota dealerships. There were only three or four models, and only one cycle or replacement models before Toyota gave up with the approach. But they were "Toyota DNA" with good reliability, fit and finish, at good prices. They sold a lot of this little "box" configuration in two generations.

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 360
Re: First shots

André BARELIER wrote:

Nice pictures, but...all are a soft for my taste. Is the lens the 10-30 VR non PD?

Did you try the camera with another lens?

Thank you Andre.

Yes, soft. Especially the parking lot could be much better. The lens is a Pentax Cosmicar 25mm/1.8 with C-mount. It covers 1" and it has poor optical quality outside of the center. The EVF on the V1 is much better than expected but still it is difficult to manual focus without magnification. I hope I can do better with time😉

The camera came with a 10-30 non PD. It is sharp but this auto-everything is somewhat boring and not what I am looking for - I have other cameras for that.

iserp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Pigeon Lofts

The one of the left has the date on it, 2004, so quite new. The photos are from the lagunas de Villafáfila, which is a wetland that hosts many birds in winter (in summer it is dry). I think these pigeon lofts were built as part of the restoration of the area around the wetland, and thus made in the style of traditional ones (there were some, half collapsed, built in adobe).

You are right about the blurriness of the left one! I will have to remember that when shooting landscapes with teles,

MoJohn Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - February 2021

Another month - another ghost habour -but same weather

André BARELIER

MoJohn wrote:

Another month - another ghost habour -but same weather

Very nice picture. I think it can also work fine if you split it in 2, keeping only the left or right part (rather the right). Just a thought...

-- hide signature --

André

MoJohn Junior Member • Posts: 32

Thank you .  . Very good observation .

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Through Bedroom window

Lost of juvenile and adult birds like the Acer and Holly just outside our bedroom window. Just a couple semi reasonable ones croped a bit and through Deep Prime.

Robin ( European Robin ) peering through the branches of the acer.

Young sparrow I think

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,358

Blacks are really black. I try to avoid anything above ISO 800 with my V1. These samples are impressive, Andre. Was this a heavy duty equipment trade exhibition?

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads