LG K92 5g phone - 64 MP rear camera shots!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Larry Rexley Contributing Member • Posts: 559
LG K92 5g phone - 64 MP rear camera shots!

Just got new LG K92 5g phone upgrade from Cricket for $199... for fun I took some shots with the default LG camera app at 64 MP... normally I am a Canon M6 Mk II shooter.

To my amazement, the sharpness of the 64 MP f1.79 lens (25mm equivalent for 35mm film) exceeds the sharpness of the Canon kit lenses (EF-M 15-45 IS STM and EF-S 18-135mm IS STM)!

Here are some samples downsized to about 4k resolution (full resolution files are too large --- I normally post ~4k files as that's all most people can view on a monitor).

Anyone else have experience with this phone's camera? I can only take 64 MP photos with JPG quality 6 using the default camera app... the app doesn't give you any options to set JPG quality... and 3rd party camera apps don't seem to support 64 MP at this point. I'd love to shoot 64 MP in RAW or higher JPG quality!

Larry Rexley's gear list:Larry Rexley's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS M50 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,476
Re: LG K92 5g phone - 64 MP rear camera shots!

Super sharpened... in camera or post processed?

OP Larry Rexley Contributing Member • Posts: 559

fuego6 wrote:

Super sharpened... in camera or post processed?

Sharpened in PP, probably oversharpened. However, down-sampling the original 64 MP files to about 8 MP (4k size) the resulting images are crisp with tons of detail.

I did a lot of comparison shots with the LG K92 phone and a Canon M6 Mk II with a EF-S 10-18mm IS STM lens at 17mm (this gives about the same horizontal field of view as the phone) and f8 (for maximum sharpness).

The LG's phone files at full 64 MP have a lot of detail, slightly more than the 32 MP files from the Canon, but since the only output at that res is compression-6 JPG, there are a lot of compression artifacts and the Canon RAW files are much cleaner and better-looking. Post processing both of them, downsizing and PP to 32 MP, 24 MP, 16 MP, and 8 MP.... at 16 MP and 8 MP one has to look closely to tell the results apart.

Here's a comparisons after down-sizing to 8 MP and PP carefully to preserve detail and get the images to similar bright/contrast/color, between the LG K92 and the Canon M6 Mk II. The phone has a smaller dynamic range so the sky gets slightly blown out.

LG K92 phone image, downsized from 64 MP to 3840 pixels wide and post-processed

Canon M6 Mk II image, with Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS STM at 17mm, f8, downsize from 32 MP to 3840 pixels wide and post-processed

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS M50 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,476

Looks very promising for a cheap phone.... we are spoiled with technology these days!

Van Nostrand Regular Member • Posts: 461

Old thread I know.  Wondering of you tried the free app  OPEN CAMERA for this device.  OPEN Camera has  a JPEG "image quality" setting  in  "photo settings"..in settings.

In Open Camera, you click on the settings wheel at top right.

Settings  >  Photo settings  > image quality     ....set to 100%

Also it has an option to use enable Camera2api  if available by the system.  If the system allows  RAW , and after you enable Camera2api....you would get a RAW DNG option in photo settings.  Otherwise   only Jpeg and Png would be the only options.

Enabling camera2api doesn't allows work..system may be limited not allowing raw altogether.

You can also install the free app. "Camera2api probe".....  And check if RAW is possible.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,326

Van Nostrand wrote:

Old thread I know. Wondering of you tried the free app OPEN CAMERA for this device. OPEN Camera has a JPEG "image quality" setting in "photo settings"..in settings.

+1 for Open Camera!

On my Moto One phone, I have Open Camera permanently set to DRO mode, and results are surprisingly good for a low-end phone. DRO = dynamic range optimization, but it also does some kind of pixel combination to reduce noise.

OP Larry Rexley Contributing Member • Posts: 559

Van Nostrand wrote:

Old thread I know. Wondering of you tried the free app OPEN CAMERA for this device. OPEN Camera has a JPEG "image quality" setting in "photo settings"..in settings.

In Open Camera, you click on the settings wheel at top right.

Settings > Photo settings > image quality ....set to 100%

Also it has an option to use enable Camera2api if available by the system. If the system allows RAW , and after you enable Camera2api....you would get a RAW DNG option in photo settings. Otherwise only Jpeg and Png would be the only options.

Enabling camera2api doesn't allows work..system may be limited not allowing raw altogether.

You can also install the free app. "Camera2api probe"..... And check if RAW is possible.

Thanks for the advice. I tried Open camera along with about 10 other camera apps. Just now I tried Open camera again to see if there was an update. Both API settings... No joy.

The issue seems to be that only LG's default camera app appears to allow the full 64 MB resolution of the camera but does not support RAW (DMG) format.

I can get raw output with other camera apps but the highest res is 16.04 MB.

If i could get raw 64 MB output the results would probably be amazing.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,326

Larry Rexley wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I tried Open camera along with about 10 other camera apps. Just now I tried Open camera again to see if there was an update. Both API settings... No joy.

The issue seems to be that only LG's default camera app appears to allow the full 64 MB resolution of the camera but does not support RAW (DMG) format.

I can get raw output with other camera apps but the highest res is 16.04 MB.

If i could get raw 64 MB output the results would probably be amazing.

With what software? Does your Raw conversion software have noise reduction?

Snapseed does not have noise reduction, and there is no way it is capable of achieving better results than OpenCamera DRO.

Lightroom does not have particularly outstanding noise reduction, but it does have it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads