**Celebrating ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras**

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
OP Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,551
Re: Don't forget the FZ28

I hadn’t forgotten the FZ28, Mark. I mentioned it somewhere above.

Thank you very much for sharing your fine examples from this particularly excellent bridge camera.

Cheers and all the best…

Re: liking the raw options

Thanks for the input, jr. Good of you to post.

Cheers...

Re: Raptors with ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras

Wonderful examples, Ramanan. Nice of you to share them here.

Thank you.

Cheers and happy shooting...

Re: FZ300 Shots

Nice shots, Dale. Thank you for sharing, both in the posts above and below.

Cheers...

Re: *Some of my FZ330 Examples*

Thank you very much, samualson. Very kind of you to post.

Glad you like the pics.

Cheers and all the best…

Ramanan Padmanabhan Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: Raptors with ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Wonderful examples, Ramanan. Nice of you to share them here.

Thank you.

Cheers and happy shooting...

Thank you very much Stevie and always come out with very useful thread with as usual with very good examples.

Regards,

Ramanan.

digitcallous
digitcallous Senior Member • Posts: 1,073
My example is a video instead of individual photos

The 'Pinhead' camera I've been using for the last 7 years has been an FZ200. I make music as a hobby, last year I took a piece of music I recorded in 2018 and put some photos and video taken with my FZ200 on vacations to it. The result is presented here:

https://youtu.be/2xP3jSSKg8c

Re: My example is a video instead of individual photos

Thanks for the link, Digit.

Nice video which I believe I've seen before. Nice soundtrack, too. Well done on all counts.

Cheers and all the best...

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,707

digitcallous wrote:

The 'Pinhead' camera I've been using for the last 7 years has been an FZ200. I make music as a hobby, last year I took a piece of music I recorded in 2018 and put some photos and video taken with my FZ200 on vacations to it. The result is presented here:

https://youtu.be/2xP3jSSKg8c

I enjoyed the video with your music and images very much. I'm waiting for the covid to clear some and then headed to Puerto Vallarta for 3-4 weeks. Always one of my very favorites to visit.

digitcallous

Thank you, Stevie Boy Blue! We are having below freezing temperatures for a few days, I can certainly use the idea of Warm.

digitcallous

Thank you, Sactojim. We miss traveling also during this time of Covid, but it is impossible still since we're still waiting for when my wife and I will be eligible for vaccine shot.

Ainisru Regular Member • Posts: 189
Panasonic DMC-FZ40

There are times when I wish I did not know anything about sensor size and staring at charts and graphs. Photography is one of the few creative outlets I find myself being able to show passion/love of something. I started my photography on the 1/2.3" sensor and it will hold a special place in my heart.

What I like about small sensor sizes is how it pushes you to maximize what the form factor and your input in creating the images. I been looking at some modern pictures and seeing how well the new technologies have made 1/2.3" even better that previously.

Unfortunately what pushed me out is that I find myself taking a lot of indoor or evening-night pictures and the dissatisfaction crept up.

I am thankful that Panasonic doesn't lock RAW format to their bridge/p&s cameras like most manufacturers. It made fall it love in being able to play with the colours and finding ways to push the file to its limits.

I really don't have any complaints about the FZ40, it is a solid camera, but I found that (well looking at my old catalogue) it does not handle medium-dark skin tones well.

Edit: Although I know these are from the FZ40, I cannot say for certain that they are SOOC JPEGs. The only alteration I have done before posting these is small hint of dehaze from Rawtherapee and smallest axis resized to 1440px, then final export with RIOT at 80% JPEG quality.

I do miss the amount of reach bridge cameras offer.

Did you notice the previous image was 16:9? Why? I have no idea!

Ainisru's gear list:Ainisru's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Nikon D800 Panasonic G85 +2 more
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Panasonic DMC-FZ40

Ainisru wrote:

There are times when I wish I did not know anything about sensor size and staring at charts and graphs. Photography is one of the few creative outlets I find myself being able to show passion/love of something. I started my photography on the 1/2.3" sensor and it will hold a special place in my heart.

What I like about small sensor sizes is how it pushes you to maximize what the form factor and your input in creating the images. I been looking at some modern pictures and seeing how well the new technologies have made 1/2.3" even better that previously.

Unfortunately what pushed me out is that I find myself taking a lot of indoor or evening-night pictures and the dissatisfaction crept up.

I own & use 3 cameras for just those reasons.

• For daylight use at our bird feeders, I have a Canon SX720HS with a long reach. Its tiny size also allows me to stick it in a jacket pocket. Cost: $400 with extra batteries. Today, I'd likely buy a fancy cell phone to replace this + my plain cell phone.
  • For daylight walking around, I use a ZS70. It may be my most used camera. It fits in an old film era carry bag with some extra batteries. Cost: <$250 with extra batteries. Not yet replaceable by a fancy cell phone.
  • For low light, difficult shots, etc. I use an E-M10 ii. ILC systems can do a lot of stuff. The bag also weighs 5 kilos or so. Cost: $1100-ish w/ 4 lenses, two extension tubes, 2 lens adapters & (...wait for it...) extra batteries. 😁

The ZS70 cost the least & does the most shooting, yet I bought it on a lark. It was $211 from Amazon Warehouse.

Jack Tingle's gear list:Jack Tingle's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
DUBTEMPLE
DUBTEMPLE Contributing Member • Posts: 758

Ainisru wrote:

While I found FZ70 useless, FZ200 will be maybe my best friend ever, in darkness also

Small size, F 2.8 full range, superb stabilisation, and sensor not over-pixelated,.. did it

Foremost I could avoid flash, even indoor, lots of evening-shots, blue-hour, and so on

It's about worn out now, but I consider replacing with a FZ300, despite I own FZ1000

(partly becourse I got the Nikon teleconverters also to be re-used)

So for me FZ200 became the low-light miracle to deliver IRL despite I got DSLR/primes

DUBTEMPLE's gear list:DUBTEMPLE's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Canon EOS 500D +2 more
digitcallous

DUBTEMPLE wrote:

While I found FZ70 useless, FZ200 will be maybe my best friend ever, in darkness also

Small size, F 2.8 full range, superb stabilisation, and sensor not over-pixelated,.. did it

Foremost I could avoid flash, even indoor, lots of evening-shots, blue-hour, and so on

It's about worn out now, but I consider replacing with a FZ300, despite I own FZ1000

So for me FZ200 became the low-light miracle to deliver IRL despite I got DSLR/primes

Photography is just a hobby to me so I don't invest much money into it. Like I mentioned in a previous post my camera for the last 7 years has been an FZ200, and I agree that it generally does an excellent job for me. I am fairly frequently surprised by how well some shots turn out.

The weakness of the FZ200 is low light situations where I have to use high ISO just to get the shot. I have some ISO 800 pictures that I am happy with, but many at ISO 800 and beyond are just too grainy for me to be satisfied with them. About a year ago I acquired a Sony RX100VII. It does perform better in low lights, but the compact size has other limitations like reach. With Covid I really haven't used this camera enough to have a firm opinion about it yet.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067

digitcallous wrote:

DUBTEMPLE wrote:

Photography is just a hobby to me so I don't invest much money into it. Like I mentioned in a previous post my camera for the last 7 years has been an FZ200, and I agree that it generally does an excellent job for me. I am fairly frequently surprised by how well some shots turn out.

The weakness of the FZ200 is low light situations where I have to use high ISO just to get the shot. I have some ISO 800 pictures that I am happy with, but many at ISO 800 and beyond are just too grainy for me to be satisfied with them. About a year ago I acquired a Sony RX100VII. It does perform better in low lights, but the compact size has other limitations like reach. With Covid I really haven't used this camera enough to have a firm opinion about it yet.

Regarding "low light" with your RX100M7 camera.

I have the RX100M6 camera, but not the RX100M7.

I also have the RX100M2, it does well in low lights.

See if your M7 does as well as the M2 in low lights.

Can see my posted out-of-camera jpgs from my M2.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4502720

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 2,509

digitcallous wrote:

DUBTEMPLE wrote:

About a year ago I acquired a Sony RX100VII. It does perform better in low lights, but the compact size has other limitations like reach. With Covid I really haven't used this camera enough to have a firm opinion about it yet.

I had the RX100Vi when I was disgruntled with the early failure of a Panasonic ZS/TZ200. The only real difference in the Vi & the Vii is that the Vii is more videocentric. I found that the Sony version of intelligent / extended zoom, call it what you will, produced excellent images and gave a useable range up to effectively 400mm in 35mm terms. I was just frustrated by the small size that I found uncomfortable to hold and the lack of touchscreen interface, that is pathetic in 2021.

Dave

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic ZS200 Apple iPhone 12 Pro

Thanks for the thought-provoking post and image examples.

Indeed, the tech in these tiny sensors has come on leaps and bounds since they first appeared. To me, the progress really began with the FZ28 and continued through the 38, 150 and 300, with just a slight noisy blip re the 200 and a drastic sinking re the very poor FZ80.

By all accounts, the FZ100 wasn’t so good either. But as long as the pixel count is kept to 12 million or under, chances are that any future FZs that appear with the same sized sensor will continue the admirable trend toward improvement. I’m just not so sure that we’ll come to see any new models anytime soon. Here’s to hoping though.

Thanks again,

Cheers…

arnoud venema
arnoud venema Senior Member • Posts: 1,127
Re: **Celebrating ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras**

Under normal photography conditions (light overcast, not the borders of daylight) our pinhead sensors can perform to my satisfaction. Look at this gullwing

I can crop in on the flying one and keep a satisfying picture.

Arnoud

-- hide signature --

keep on shooting!

arnoud venema's gear list:arnoud venema's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
pipnat51
pipnat51 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: *Some of my FZ330 Examples*

Awesome 🤗

pipnat51's gear list:pipnat51's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads