Re: **Celebrating ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras**

Castle in Sintra

Indoor museum(available light)

Seagull in Portugal

Moorish fortress

Wall of castle

Taken from tram

Taken from across the river

A few from my trip to Lisbon/Sintra Portugal with FZ200.  Still have it and use it.

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 5,197
Re: They are amazing sensors

Stevie Boy Blue wrote: Good to see you’re happy with the Sony you use, John.

To be honest, I wouldn’t care if Panasonic also dropped the RAW option in the pinhead sensor range as I simply have no use for it. Jpegs all the way for me.

Whatever floats one’s boat and all that jazz. ;-). Cheers…

Agreed, Stevie. I'm all for getting it done in the moment, and moving on to the next subject. No time to seek to squeeze perfection from a RAW sometime later. Good enough is good enough. And useful pinhead sensors can be found in smaller, more portable cameras than Bridge models

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Ramanan Padmanabhan Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Raptors with ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras

CHANGEABLE HAWK EAGLE

BESRA

CRESTED SERPENT EAGLE

BLACK SHOULDER ED KITE

BLACK EARED KITE

Holmes375
Holmes375 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,590
Re: Raptors with ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras

Beautiful set! Very  nicely done.

-- hide signature --

Pleasant trails to ya.
~Holmes
WSSA member #103

Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +2 more
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,641

Ramanan Padmanabhan wrote:

CHANGEABLE HAWK EAGLE

BESRA

CRESTED SERPENT EAGLE

BLACK SHOULDER ED KITE

BLACK EARED KITE

All beautiful!

Holmes375 wrote:

Beautiful set! Very nicely done.

Thank you very much Holmes and very nice set of Nikon Pinhead pics and I like them all.

Regards,

Ramanan.

Sactojim wrote:

CHANGEABLE HAWK EAGLE

BESRA

CRESTED SERPENT EAGLE

BLACK SHOULDER ED KITE

BLACK EARED KITE

All beautiful!

Thanks a lot and like all shots of Canon SX50 shots.

Regards,

Ramanan.

jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,842

Hi, Raman, these are absolutely great! I'm wondering about how many feet you were from the birds? it is a real treat to see birds that are different from what I have here in Texas on the forum I appreciate you posting!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina wrote:

Hi, Raman, these are absolutely great! I'm wondering about how many feet you were from the birds? it is a real treat to see birds that are different from what I have here in Texas on the forum I appreciate you posting!

Thank you very much Jlina, As I have always use 1.7 Nikon TC the focal length goes to 1020MM which made the difference as the reach is more.The Eagles were photographed while on Safari in tiger reserves which were just 20 feet away from me and the kite were photographed using a scooter as birds in my place ignore your presence while on any vehicles for that matter so I could approach very close to them about less than 15 feet. All my photography in around my place I always use the scooter with bean bag on the handle bar by which I have gone very close to any bird subjects while engine is off position. That how I do most of my bird photography.

Regards,

Ramanan.

jlina

That is absolutely amazing thank you for telling me your trade secrets! they look like they're going to swoop down on you I'd be a little afraid best wishes and stay well!

-- hide signature --

jlina

IAMAI Senior Member • Posts: 1,879

All of the pictures are fantastic, but when I saw the above pic the first thing I thought of was - Paint it green and it's The Grinch. Or maybe his pet bird.

Really like this shot. The mood is perfect.

-- hide signature --

Mark---
I AM AI to someone, or something, that brought all of this into existence. I hope they don't hit the factory reset button.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/70985317@N02/sets/

Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,240
Re: FZ300 Shots

Here are a few examples from the FZ300 which is an improved version of the FZ200.  It is so light and works well for birding.

Dale

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

When we handle any bridge camera the size of the FZ300, we could be forgiven for thinking that its image sensor is much larger than it actually is. We may even hear the widely bandied term ‘postage stamp’ sensor in relation to these cameras, which again gives the wrong impression of the average size chip found in most. In reality, the postage stamp analogy overeggs things considerably here.

Even when we discover that the sensor in the FZ300 and largely most other bridge models is actually a mere 1/2.3’’ diagonally from corner to opposite corner, or that its dimensions amount to a total of just 6.17 x 4.55 mm, we may still not initially comprehend just how small that is in relation to the full size (35mm) sensors found in overall more expensive DSLRs/ILCs.

Even most illustrations we see don’t really drive home why the tag ‘pinhead’ sensor is actually more appropriate a label than postage stamp.

So, to gain more perspective in visual terms, pop both of your thumbs together end to end, nail to nail (as shown in my illustration below) and imagine the larger rectangle outline depicts the edges of the full frame. Study it for a moment and, as a way of balancing out differences between thumb sizes of small, medium and larger readers, imagine you have an old 35mm film negative covering the whole rectangle. Got it? Yep! That’s how big a full frame digital SLR sensor is.

In comparison, now study your little fingernail and imagine the size of the small rectangle drawn in the same illustration. It equates to no more than half the size of the nail and represents the image recording area of the 1/2.3 sensor. That’s how small the average sized bridge camera sensor is.

Now look at my second illustration and note how many 1/2.3 sensors you could roughly fit into a full frame version (around 30) and you’ll see why the term pinhead is more appropriate than the postage stamp label. You’ll note that I’ve also included outlines of 1inch and M4/3rd sensors for further comparison of size in relation to both full frame and 1/2.3 varieties.

I’d always known these sensors were small since I began using FZs in 2004, but it’s only during the last few years that I’ve paid more attention to their actual physical size and come to appreciate them all the more for it. Since then, my admiration for what they represent as a whole has increased substantially. To me, the pinhead sensor found in most FZ and similar cameras is a marvellous feat of engineering in terms of the image quality it can afford.

In my view, the pinhead sensor should be embraced, appreciated and celebrated as an extraordinary piece of technology often seen to punch well above its weight in terms of output. After all, cameras like the FZ300 can and do churn out some pretty impressive images, the quality of which can be much higher than we might initially anticipate based solely on specification of chip and processor.

So, if you’d care to join in my celebration of the pinhead sensor with either a comment or example images (or both), you’re more than welcome to contribute below.

PLEASE NOTE:If you’re posting photos, remember to change the heading appropriately so we can all see where they’ve been inserted. Note also that as this thread’s specifically in celebration of the 1/2.3 sensor, example photos from any camera donning the pinhead chip would be most appreciated and other makes and models beyond the Panasonic range, whether old or current, are very welcome, too.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards and happy shooting to all...

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,641

Impressive shots Dale.

Dale108

Thanks Jim

Dale

Sactojim wrote:

Impressive shots Dale.

Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9

IAMAI wrote:

All of the pictures are fantastic, but when I saw the above pic the first thing I thought of was - Paint it green and it's The Grinch. Or maybe his pet bird.

Really like this shot. The mood is perfect.

Thank you very much IAMAI, this I have photographed in Bandiphur Tiger Reserve while on Jeep safari it allowed me very close.

Regards,

Ramanan.

jlina wrote:

That is absolutely amazing thank you for telling me your trade secrets! they look like they're going to swoop down on you I'd be a little afraid best wishes and stay well!

Beware jlina after using this set up for more than three decades now I am down with sever spondylitis and groin pain which almost made me difficult to sit or walk now. The same set up I have advised to many of  my fellow photographers but may be knowing about it side effects they are never into it. But one thing is certain one can get very good collections of birds' pictures with it, and almost full frame shots most of the times.

Good luck,

Regards,

Ramanan.

Dale108
Re: Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras: Pentax Q

These were with the original Pentax Q taken in W Africa in 2012, which is an ILC.

Dale

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

When we handle any bridge camera the size of the FZ300, we could be forgiven for thinking that its image sensor is much larger than it actually is. We may even hear the widely bandied term ‘postage stamp’ sensor in relation to these cameras, which again gives the wrong impression of the average size chip found in most. In reality, the postage stamp analogy overeggs things considerably here.

Even when we discover that the sensor in the FZ300 and largely most other bridge models is actually a mere 1/2.3’’ diagonally from corner to opposite corner, or that its dimensions amount to a total of just 6.17 x 4.55 mm, we may still not initially comprehend just how small that is in relation to the full size (35mm) sensors found in overall more expensive DSLRs/ILCs.

Even most illustrations we see don’t really drive home why the tag ‘pinhead’ sensor is actually more appropriate a label than postage stamp.

So, to gain more perspective in visual terms, pop both of your thumbs together end to end, nail to nail (as shown in my illustration below) and imagine the larger rectangle outline depicts the edges of the full frame. Study it for a moment and, as a way of balancing out differences between thumb sizes of small, medium and larger readers, imagine you have an old 35mm film negative covering the whole rectangle. Got it? Yep! That’s how big a full frame digital SLR sensor is.

In comparison, now study your little fingernail and imagine the size of the small rectangle drawn in the same illustration. It equates to no more than half the size of the nail and represents the image recording area of the 1/2.3 sensor. That’s how small the average sized bridge camera sensor is.

Now look at my second illustration and note how many 1/2.3 sensors you could roughly fit into a full frame version (around 30) and you’ll see why the term pinhead is more appropriate than the postage stamp label. You’ll note that I’ve also included outlines of 1inch and M4/3rd sensors for further comparison of size in relation to both full frame and 1/2.3 varieties.

I’d always known these sensors were small since I began using FZs in 2004, but it’s only during the last few years that I’ve paid more attention to their actual physical size and come to appreciate them all the more for it. Since then, my admiration for what they represent as a whole has increased substantially. To me, the pinhead sensor found in most FZ and similar cameras is a marvellous feat of engineering in terms of the image quality it can afford.

In my view, the pinhead sensor should be embraced, appreciated and celebrated as an extraordinary piece of technology often seen to punch well above its weight in terms of output. After all, cameras like the FZ300 can and do churn out some pretty impressive images, the quality of which can be much higher than we might initially anticipate based solely on specification of chip and processor.

So, if you’d care to join in my celebration of the pinhead sensor with either a comment or example images (or both), you’re more than welcome to contribute below.

PLEASE NOTE:If you’re posting photos, remember to change the heading appropriately so we can all see where they’ve been inserted. Note also that as this thread’s specifically in celebration of the 1/2.3 sensor, example photos from any camera donning the pinhead chip would be most appreciated and other makes and models beyond the Panasonic range, whether old or current, are very welcome, too.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards and happy shooting to all...

jlina

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. The photos are amazing but tearing up your body is never a good idea I got a used fz50 today I'm thinking I may put the telephoto extender on it like you did on the fz300. Then I'll stand across a gully and shoot birds up in a tree or mostly I just like to sit in the park and shoot ships out at sea. Try and stay well and take care of yourself!

I watch this guys videos on YouTube cuz he has a really good basic photography technique with ISO, f stop and shutter speed, and this was his today. You might enjoy a little bit of his humor and the interesting point he makes about wildlife shooting in the beginning.

https://youtu.be/RDgjbBgZiDw

-- hide signature --

jlina

samualson Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: *Some of my FZ330 Examples*

Wow , those pics are outstanding .

samualson Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: Pinheads from my FZ150

FZ 150 was a big time winner . Still a great camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads