**Celebrating ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras**

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
OP Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,551
Re: They are amazing sensors

Good to see you’re happy with the Sony you use, John.

To be honest, I wouldn’t care if Panasonic also dropped the RAW option in the pinhead sensor range as I simply have no use for it. Jpegs all the way for me.

Whatever floats one’s boat and all that jazz.

Cheers…

Re: **Celebrating ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras**

Thanks for the pic, Arnoud.

If I recall correctly, the FZ30 had a slightly larger sensor than the pinhead.

Cheers

Re: Nikon pinhead pics

Thanks for post, Holmes375.

Some very good and detailed results from the P950 there. Looks to be an impressive tool in the right hands, which I guess applies to pretty much any camera really.

Cheers and happy shooting…

Re: It's the versatility

Indeed, Dave. It truly is the versatility – certainly in terms of the FZ300, easily the biggest bang for the money bridge camera currently available. And to think it’s actually been in production for over five years, incredible.

I’ve already bought two of ‘em since its release in 2015 and can actually foresee the day when I'll obtain a third copy. Excellent camera, like no other pinhead FZ that Panasonic has made to date.

Thanks for pics and post.

Cheers…

Re: Jon's FZ150, FZ200, FZ80, ZS50

Thanks for the examples, Jon.

I especially like that blue coloured bird shot. Lovely detail for ISO 800.

Cheers…

Re: Couple from my old Olympus C750UZ

Thank you for posting, Da.

Good to see your Olympus examples.

Nice they are, too. Remind me of the results I used to expect from my old FZ20 from 2004.

Cheers…

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 6,221
liking the raw options

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Good to see you’re happy with the Sony you use, John.

To be honest, I wouldn’t care if Panasonic also dropped the RAW option in the pinhead sensor range as I simply have no use for it. Jpegs all the way for me.

Whatever floats one’s boat and all that jazz.

I've been a JPEG only kind of person for most of my digital shooting, but I used raw with Sigma because I was just never happy with the JPEG's from their cameras, and I'm finding the same with my FZ300.  My Ricoh CX3 (a pocket-sized pinhead camera with 28-300 mm equiv.) turns out JPEG pictures that look great to my eyes, but despite a lot of experimentation and twiddling in setting up the FZ300, I've just not been thrilled with its color quality.

Silkypix Developer Studio 8 SE added some new color profiles, and I'm loving "(Faithful) Portrait color 1."  That, along with Silkypix's "Auto (Natural)" white balance is giving me output I'm much more satisfied with, enough so that I'm thinking it may be time to find other homes for my APS-C DSLR's and the Sigma compact.  These have been fine cameras for me for the last 10-15 years, but I think the FZ300 along with the little Ricoh (for times when I prefer a tiny camera in a belt pouch) will meet all my needs.

honeybz Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: They are amazing sensors

I  really like the composition of this.  It reminds me of an old masters painting.

Bob

Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle Contributing Member • Posts: 699

...but, they do have their limitations:

This would have been a severe test for any camera, but tiny sensors and their associated tiny lenses make it worse.

Snowy dune, snowy owl & bright winter south sky. Zoomed out to the maximum 720mm equiv.

"You should have set this up better," you say. Uh-huh. Boardwalk, covid restrictions, wild animal, sub-zero wind chill. No thanks.

Zoomed in to the picture I really wanted.  Meh.

Still, I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

Jack Tingle's gear list:Jack Tingle's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
da7329 Contributing Member • Posts: 866
Re: Couple from my old Olympus C750UZ

I remember when I got the canon sx50hs I was a little disappointed as the evf on the oly seemed better.  Both are very poor by today’s standards.  The canon had much more zoom but looking back a pics from both cameras the oly pictures just seem to stand out more.  Maybe the difference in default in camera processing or sensor type whatever.  Maybe I should post a couple from the sx50hs not seen any in this post yet.  I was one of the classic pinheads.

DA

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,710
Canon SX50

Mine is still going strong after some heavy use and being banged around. These were taken in and around Puerto Vallarta. I'm enjoying everyone's pics with thanks to SBB for the post.

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,602

kkardster wrote:

A 1/2.3" sensor is not 1/2.3" diagonal, rather that's an archaic tube size value predating digital cameras. ...

Yep, Roger Cicala of LensRentals did interesting Blog on sensor size HERE.

Excerpts from Roger's 01/30/2012 Blog:

"… then we get into all of these fractional-inch-type-measurements for the smaller sensors. That measurement system originated in ancient times (the 1950s to 1980s) when vacuum tubes were used instead of CCD or CMOS sensors in video and television cameras. The image sensor was, in those days, referred to in terms of the outside diameter of the vacuum tube that contained it. ...

... Why do manufacturers keep using such an archaic measurement? Because it helps them lie to you, of course. If you do the math 1/2.7 equals 0.37 inches, which equals 9.39 mm. But if you look at the chart above you’ll see that a 1/2.7″ sensor actually has a diagonal of 6.7 mm. Why? Because, of course, a thick glass tube used to surround the sensors. So they calculate the sensor size as if the glass tube was still included. Makes perfect sense to a marketing person who wants to make their sensor seem larger than it is. What sounds better: 1/2.7″ or ‘less than 10% the size of a full frame sensor’? ..."

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more

Thanks for popping back in.

Yep, I certainly agree they have their limitations. But I’m not sure that your illustration makes a good example of those limitations.

Looks like you’ve posted the same image from which a large central portion has been taken – evident from the very small size of the crop (623 x 474 pixel) and also because both share exactly the same, to-the-second time of shooting as shown in the EXIF info. Same focal length too!

Assuming this is a crop, small sensors just don’t stand up well to the degree of it that larger sensors do, and definitely not to this extent. Even such a huge crop from any full frame DSLR would not look much better.

I feel however, that under the conditions and at the distance you appear to have been from your owl subject, you’re right to outline that any camera would have struggled under these circumstances, except maybe the bazooka Nikon P950 or P1000 with their massive respective zooms of 2000mm and 3000mm.

All things considered though, sometimes we simply have to acknowledge that there are always going to be situations during which would-be subjects are well out of photographic range, as appears to have been the case in your example, and no matter what camera we’re carrying during any walk-around session. When faced with such scenarios myself, I simply walk on and never even bother attempting to take a shot that I know is beyond the limits of at least reasonable results.

Happy shooting,

Cheers…

Re: Canon SX50

Nice Canon examples, Jim.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers and happy shooting...

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,602
Re: Jon's FZ150, FZ200, FZ80, ZS50

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Thanks for the examples, Jon.

I especially like that blue coloured bird shot. Lovely detail for ISO 800.

Thanks, it is a Steller's Jay (HERE).

The detail at 800 ISO to due PP RAW image.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more
da7329 Contributing Member • Posts: 866
Re: Canon SX50

Mine is still working fine also.  It has been around the world soaked in tropical downpours, fogged up, dropped but it keeps coming back and working fine.  No idea how many thousands of shots on it.

DA

Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle Contributing Member • Posts: 699

See, I was taught to always take the shot if you can. The ZS70 is a good "you can" camera. Thousands of frames & you can hold it in your hand. I wasn't willing to bring along a better camera that might get a better picture. If sand, cold & misadventure broke a $211 camera, I'd be sad. I'd have gotten a photo, though. There is the sterling virtue of the tiny sensor camera.

It's a mediocre picture, especially the crop. But it is a picture of the time & place. It shows the owl was there & so was I.

But then, I learned from feral photojournalists.

Jack Tingle's gear list:Jack Tingle's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
RGSAM Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: 2007 to 2020 - S3is, SX10is, FZ200, FZ330, TZ60, TZ90

gardenersassistant wrote:

In 2007 after I retired I restarted photography after a pause of several decades and bought a Canon S3is. I used that until 2009 and then used a Canon SX10is until 2013, when I bought an FZ200. In 2016 I bought an FZ330. In 2013 I bought a Canon SX240, in 2015 a TZ60 and in 2018 a TZ90.

While using these 1/2.3" sensor cameras I also used larger sensor cameras some of the time. Starting in 2011 I used micro four thirds cameras - G3 then G5, G80 and G9, and from 2014 a Canon 70D dSLR. However, I kept coming back to 1/2.3", especially for close-ups of invertebrates, one of my two main subject areas (the other being flowers etc). And (not having a smartphone) a 1/2.3" pocketable superzoom remains my go to device for "out and about, just in case something turns up", not that I did any of that in 2020.

In the second half of 2020 I moved away once more from 1/2.3" for invertebrates, this time to a full frame setup. Whether this will be a permanent move, or whether as with micro four thirds and APS-C I go back to 1/2.3" remains to be seen.

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

In my view, the pinhead sensor should be embraced, appreciated and celebrated as an extraordinary piece of technology often seen to punch well above its weight in terms of output. After all, cameras like the FZ300 can and do churn out some pretty impressive images, the quality of which can be much higher than we might initially anticipate based solely on specification of chip and processor.

While my bridge cameras, and especially the FZ200 and FZ330, have been sturdy workhorses, the cameras that have struck me as particularly extraordinary have been the pocketable superzooms ("travel cameras"). I have not used them a great deal as I don't get out and about much outside of our small town. But even so they have managed to impress me from time to time with what they can produce, with the really extraordinary thing for me being that despite their huge zoom range they fit comfortably into a pocket.

Here are 10 images from my 1/2.3" sensor cameras. Those from the S3is and SX10is were shot as JPEGs, the Panasonic images as raw. They have all been post processed.

Super shots!

IAMAI Senior Member • Posts: 1,882
Don't forget the FZ28

A few photos from Lanai, Hawaii in 2009 with the FZ-28, a 10 megapixel, 18x camera with CCD sensor. Still have it.

It is a very good camera for stills with beautiful well saturated color.

-- hide signature --

Mark---
I AM AI to someone, or something, that brought all of this into existence. I hope they don't hit the factory reset button.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/70985317@N02/sets/

gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 9,026
Re: 2007 to 2020 - S3is, SX10is, FZ200, FZ330, TZ60, TZ90

RGSAM wrote:

Super shots!

Thank you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads