Is the A1 Designed for Photojournalists/Sports Photographers?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
RH McCaslan Regular Member • Posts: 125
Is the A1 Designed for Photojournalists/Sports Photographers?

Assuming that the A1 is the replacement for the A9II and is designed with sports photographers in mind, does a 50MP camera make sense for this group who prefer 1/2 the MP or less?

Unless I'm missing something it means that they will need to shoot in APS-C mode to keep file sizes down.  This shouldn't be a problem for longer lenses--that 400mm 2.8 becomes a 600mm lens--, but what about at the wide end? The workhorse 24-70, not with the reach of a 36-105, is perhaps a touch long at the wide end. Maybe given the benefits of the new body, this is a minor problem.  Anyway, what do professionals think?

Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,603
Re: Is the A1 Designed for Photojournalists/Sports Photographers?

RH McCaslan wrote:

Assuming that the A1 is the replacement for the A9II and is designed with sports photographers in mind, does a 50MP camera make sense for this group who prefer 1/2 the MP or less?

Unless I'm missing something it means that they will need to shoot in APS-C mode to keep file sizes down. This shouldn't be a problem for longer lenses--that 400mm 2.8 becomes a 600mm lens--, but what about at the wide end? The workhorse 24-70, not with the reach of a 36-105, is perhaps a touch long at the wide end. Maybe given the benefits of the new body, this is a minor problem. Anyway, what do professionals think?

Probably made as a multi purpose camera with extreme specs, suitable for sports and other kinds of action shooting, like nature and wildlife. I see more and more wildlife photographers joining the E-mount. Also, a lot of amateur photographers will stretch their budgets for such a superb camera, some of them owners of 400 or 600 mm GM primes.

Also, as 5G is the new standard, file transfer is way faster than with 4G, up to 100 times faster according to 5G providers. There is even a light jpg format if file size for transfer is a concern.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
ZurichPhoto Contributing Member • Posts: 755

As you may see from my gear list, I'm a Nikon sport shooter who has been watching mirrorless developments in anticipation of making the "leap" from DSLRs and possibly changing systems. The Alpha 1 may speed up that process that I was hoping to avoid for a few more years.

There are 3 things that most sports photographers agree on.

* You can't have too much reach

* You can't have too many fps

* Low--light ISO performance is never good enough

I'm not too worried about the file size. My guess is most people buying a $6,500 camera and $10,000-plus superteles will feel the same. Cards and storage are cheap. And I'm not transmitting hundreds of files at a time. Transmission speeds will improve with 5G, This may be an issue for some but for me -- not so much.

More MPs also allow for more cropping, which is important to most sports shooters.

I'm going to generalize here -- so tech guys, hold your fire, please -- but in many cases more MPs have had an impact on low-light performance, Personally, I'd rather have better ISO performance.

We'll see how this camera performs. I hope it is spectacular.

ZurichPhoto's gear list:ZurichPhoto's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +6 more
OP RH McCaslan Regular Member • Posts: 125

ZurichPhoto wrote:

As you may see from my gear list, I'm a Nikon sport shooter who has been watching mirrorless developments in anticipation of making the "leap" from DSLRs and possibly changing systems. The Alpha 1 may speed up that process that I was hoping to avoid for a few more years.

There are 3 things that most sports photographers agree on.

* You can't have too much reach

* You can't have too many fps

* Low--light ISO performance is never good enough

I'm not too worried about the file size. My guess is most people buying a $6,500 camera and $10,000-plus superteles will feel the same. Cards and storage are cheap. And I'm not transmitting hundreds of files at a time. Transmission speeds will improve with 5G, This may be an issue for some but for me -- not so much.

More MPs also allow for more cropping, which is important to most sports shooters.

I'm going to generalize here -- so tech guys, hold your fire, please -- but in many cases more MPs have had an impact on low-light performance, Personally, I'd rather have better ISO performance.

We'll see how this camera performs. I hope it is spectacular.

Thanks for the response.

As a nature/wildlife shooter, I love the added pixels.  I wasn't a fan of the a7IV because it didn't provide enough AF performance improvement, and I struggled to see much benefit over the 42MP sensor even in cropping.

Anyway, I had frequently heard that the reason the A9II did not increase resolution was because photojournalists cringed at sending large files--even with fast connections, it takes longer to send a 50MP file--especially when the images are printed or put on the web with a fairly low resolution.

Thus, I wonder if size-sensitive journalists will use the camera in crop-sensor mode and if so, will there be any problems doing so?

Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,603

ZurichPhoto wrote:

This was correct some years ago, but after they got very efficient micro lenses on the sensors, the sensor area is what determines the noise level. So a 12 Mp, 24 Mp and 50 Mp camera will give the same noise with a given exposure, also at very high ISO values. There might be a small difference at extreme ISO, but nothing that matters for us as low light photographers. Even mr. Fossum, the inventor of the CMOS sensor, have stated this. Real world tests will tell the same.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Paulowen929 New Member • Posts: 19

Whoever it is designed for, here in the UK it is going to cost £6500 GBP body only!! So you need deep pockets!

Paulowen929's gear list:Paulowen929's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395

RH McCaslan wrote:

Unless I'm missing something it means that they will need to shoot in APS-C mode to keep file sizes down.

Not necessarily. The A1 supports 21MP JPGs from full frame or APS-C with a one step switch between crop and full. That's JPG only, but a lot of PJs are required to shoot JPG anyway.

This shouldn't be a problem for longer lenses--that 400mm 2.8 becomes a 600mm lens--, but what about at the wide end? The workhorse 24-70, not with the reach of a 36-105, is perhaps a touch long at the wide end. Maybe given the benefits of the new body, this is a minor problem. Anyway, what do professionals think?

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +26 more
PAntunes Contributing Member • Posts: 808

SQLGuy wrote:

RH McCaslan wrote:

Unless I'm missing something it means that they will need to shoot in APS-C mode to keep file sizes down.

Not necessarily. The A1 supports 21MP JPGs from full frame or APS-C with a one step switch between crop and full. That's JPG only, but a lot of PJs are required to shoot JPG anyway.

This shouldn't be a problem for longer lenses--that 400mm 2.8 becomes a 600mm lens--, but what about at the wide end? The workhorse 24-70, not with the reach of a 36-105, is perhaps a touch long at the wide end. Maybe given the benefits of the new body, this is a minor problem. Anyway, what do professionals think?

Also, this Sony has a "light jpeg/HEIF" format that will make the files smaller and transfer faster. Sony has got photojournalists covered.

SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395

PAntunes wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

RH McCaslan wrote:

Also, this Sony has a "light jpeg/HEIF" format that will make the files smaller and transfer faster. Sony has got photojournalists covered.

Hmm... 21MP. Nikon D6: 20.8MP. Canon 1DXIII: 20.1MP.

More evidence, IMO, besides the price, of which cameras the A1 was designed to compete against.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +26 more
olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 4,005

RH McCaslan wrote:

Most photojournalist/sports photogs shoot JPEG and not RAW due to tight deadlines (often within minutes after the fact as pictures must be uploaded to web sites in almost real time). Also, the general tendency is to avoid RAW files in photojournalism in order to not invite heavy postprocessing and thereby altering the "reality". With JPEGs the photographer can just choose a smaller file size in the camera meny.  But yes, photojournalists/sports photogs doesn't need the huge files either, so it will likely not be the high MP count oft the A1 which is the strongest selling point for them. OTOH, the better options for cropping (which can be done in-camera) can come in handy when they are caught in an unexpected situation with too short lenses.

-- hide signature --

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

The Grumpy Snapper Regular Member • Posts: 489

National Geographic photographers. Some of them have been field testing it.

-- hide signature --

A camera is a tool, not a fashion accessory.
Photographing your cousins wedding doesn't make you a pro.
Having a Flickr account doesn't mean you've been published.
Making thousands of posts on photo forums doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

JohnNEX Senior Member • Posts: 2,396

RH McCaslan wrote:

Anyway, what do professionals think?

Happy to be corrected, but I am not aware of any pro photojournalists (currently earning the majority of their income directly from their photographs being published) posting on these forums.

-- hide signature --

Sharpness scores and other stats for many FE lenses here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4442319
Fairly amateur photography here:
https://www.facebook.com/John-Clark-Photography-1035965476487072/

JohnNEX's gear list:JohnNEX's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +11 more
Adam Palmer Contributing Member • Posts: 654

Magnar W wrote:

ZurichPhoto wrote:

This was correct some years ago, but after they got very efficient micro lenses on the sensors, the sensor area is what determines the noise level. So a 12 Mp, 24 Mp and 50 Mp camera will give the same noise with a given exposure, also at very high ISO values. There might be a small difference at extreme ISO, but nothing that matters for us as low light photographers. Even mr. Fossum, the inventor of the CMOS sensor, have stated this. Real world tests will tell the same.

The old conventional wisdom of higher MPX equaling more noise just doesn't want to die without a fight.

-- hide signature --
 Adam Palmer's gear list:Adam Palmer's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Tokina AT-X 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Fish-eye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +10 more
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,957
It's designed for birders ;-) (n/t)
-- hide signature --

Garfield

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +1 more
pollup Contributing Member • Posts: 852

RH McCaslan wrote:

Yes, it makes perfect sense, because of the speed (30 fps) and the much improved AF, and because of the much better silent shutter.

Unless I'm missing something

Yes you're missing something: those photographers often shoot JPEG, and those are much smaller in size and can be resized in camera to 21MP, and there's even a "low quality JPEG" option now.

it means that they will need to shoot in APS-C mode to keep file sizes down. This shouldn't be a problem for longer lenses--that 400mm 2.8 becomes a 600mm lens--, but what about at the wide end? The workhorse 24-70, not with the reach of a 36-105, is perhaps a touch long at the wide end. Maybe given the benefits of the new body, this is a minor problem. Anyway, what do professionals think?

pollup's gear list:pollup's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Canon EOS 550D +7 more
Bang Ding Ow New Member • Posts: 23

The A1 is designed to be an apex action camera--whether for sports or wildlife.

Can it be used for landscapes? Certainly, given its relatively high resolution.

However, I expect Sony will eventually release an 80-100MP landscape-oriented body to compete with the GFX 100s.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads