Lens hood suggestion for protruding filter

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
demonboy
demonboy Regular Member • Posts: 291
Lens hood suggestion for protruding filter

Hi,

On my main camera and lens I use an SLR Magic variable ND filter, which is great. However I have a number of 49mm diameter filter sized legacy lenses and so I bought a K&F variable filter. I couldn't justify spending too much on an expensive filter that would cost more than my lenses, which are only used occasionally.

The filter itself is ok at what it does for video work. It's no SLR Magic but for occasional use it will do.

The problem, however, is that the filter does not have a thread inside, and it protrudes wider than the lens barrel. This means the lens cap (in this instance, an Olympus OM 28mm 2.8) has nothing to grip onto, and I can't screw in a hood.

The flat part of the end of the lens is only 3mm

I think the only solution is to buy a hood with a cap on it... but which hood? It needs to go over the filter itself, which has an OD of 55mm, and probably onto the end of the lens, which is 52mm. This leaves a gap of 3mm to attach a hood. Bear in mind on the Olympus the aperture ring is on the end of the lens.

The only thing I can think of is one of those square metal hoods with a retaining screw. Am I thinking along the right lines or is there something more obvious I've not thought about? Maybe a solution with step-up rings or something similar?

TIA.

Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 5,326
Re: Lens hood suggestion for protruding filter

An old style slip on cap would do the trick.

Measure the outer diameter of the filter for trying to find one online.

A classic old camera shop, with a drawer full of old caps, would be the ideal solution.

Michigan Sandman
Michigan Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 486

I was just looking at some of my Oly hoods. The hood for the 55mm 1.2 lens attaches to the outside of the lens, or in your case filter. It has a tightening screw for retention. If you had this along with the Oly 55mm lens cap I think this would solve the problem. K.E.H. is where I happen to find the Hood lat year.

Michigan Sandman's gear list:Michigan Sandman's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3 Nikon D100 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X +122 more
demonboy
OP demonboy Regular Member • Posts: 291

Michigan Sandman wrote:

I was just looking at some of my Oly hoods. The hood for the 55mm 1.2 lens attaches to the outside of the lens, or in your case filter. It has a tightening screw for retention. If you had this along with the Oly 55mm lens cap I think this would solve the problem. K.E.H. is where I happen to find the Hood lat year.

Thanks, both, for the replies. I've found a solution not realising I already had it. The rubber hoods that can be retracted have the filter thread inside them. I inherited one of these years ago on one of my Oly lenses which had split, but I kept it in storage. It was only after doing some research that I found identical ones online. I'll be buying a couple more.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads