Camera fell off tripod

Started 3 months ago | Questions
monstersmasher New Member • Posts: 7
Camera fell off tripod

Hi everyone,

I'm an amateur photographer and definitely know very little about cameras.  I bought a Sony A7iii with a 28-70 mm kit lens last year (upgrade from my old Canon T4i). Three months in, the camera fall off the tripod. I had a screen protector on which saved the display screen. I noticed an instant dent around the metal ring part of the lens. The camera instantly started having focus issues (the aperture on the screen was showing as "-").  It was still taking pictures but they were all blurred.

Long story short, I got it repaired and the shutter was replaced along with a few minor repairs on the lens. The camera is working fine now but it makes me nervous because I've barely used it (shutter count was 1400 when it fell).  I'm just nervous that a year from now, the old issue might cause a new issue, resulting in more repairs. I will probably not be replacing the camera for another 5 years.

For those of you who have gotten cameras repaired, how often have you faced issues related to the initial damage? I am thinking of selling the camera (maybe take a hit of a few hundred). Would you consider that a wise decision?

monstersmasher's gear list:monstersmasher's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS Rebel T4i
ANSWER:
Mr Giggles Regular Member • Posts: 391
Re: Camera fell off tripod

from your perspective its extremely wise

( kind of sucks for the guy buying it tho )

NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

If the repair was done correctly the camera should be like new.

But trading it in and letting the dealer deal with it isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't sell it to individual  if you think it's a basket case.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
David5833 Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

monstersmasher wrote:

...Long story short, I got it repaired and the shutter was replaced along with a few minor repairs on the lens. The camera is working fine now but it makes me nervous because I've barely used it (shutter count was 1400 when it fell).

You're luckier than I was...when my D7200 fell off the tripod, it was damaged beyond repair.

...I am thinking of selling the camera (maybe take a hit of a few hundred). Would you consider that a wise decision?

If it's working perfectly now and it was something I liked using, I probably wouldn't sell it just because it had been repaired.

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Canon G9 X II Nikon D810 Nikon D7500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
justinwonnacott Senior Member • Posts: 1,119

If I knew the camera had been dropped or repaired I would not pay much for it like 30 to 50 percent of purchase price

justinwonnacott's gear list:justinwonnacott's gear list
Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
David5833 Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

justinwonnacott wrote:

If I knew the camera had been dropped or repaired I would not pay much for it like 30 to 50 percent of purchase price

You probably didn't mean to reply to my post, but I'll comment anyway...

If I knew it was working perfectly I would have no problem continuing to use it myself, but I agree that the stigma of having been repaired after a drop might decrease the market value, even though it might actually be better sorted than a new one.

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Canon G9 X II Nikon D810 Nikon D7500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752

Are you planning to tell the prospective buyer about the fall?

-- hide signature --

Don

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,693

If it went to Sony or a Sony approved mender the chances are it has been much more closely examined and tested than it was before it left the factory the first time.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
MannyV
MannyV Contributing Member • Posts: 688

a_c_skinner wrote:

If it went to Sony or a Sony approved mender the chances are it has been much more closely examined and tested than it was before it left the factory the first time.

I agree. I had a camera which needed repair. I won't name it as it will result in trolls and fanboys flaming. All I can say is the camera worked as good as new and was my workhorse for 4+ years and eventually sold it to a friend who knows it and still uses it and works fine - now 7 + years.

-- hide signature --

Manny
Still draft and working towards it - https://www.digitalphoto.work

justinwonnacott Senior Member • Posts: 1,119

David5833 wrote:

justinwonnacott wrote:

You probably didn't mean to reply to my post, but I'll comment anyway...

If I knew it was working perfectly I would have no problem continuing to use it myself, but I agree that the stigma of having been repaired after a drop might decrease the market value, even though it might actually be better sorted than a new one.

I say this with a repaired, perfectly functioning camera I could sell , however if I alerted the buyer to the camera history this is all I would expect to get. There is no way to warrantee the quality of the repair. I will keep the camera.

justinwonnacott's gear list:justinwonnacott's gear list
Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,210

No matter how many come back saying that their repaired camera has worked fine since or has brocken down, it makes no difference whatsoever on how yours will do.

You might get the idea of the odds , one way or another,  but it is still into the anecdotes territory.

I would keep using the camera but if selling , yes the nice thing to do would be to disclose why you are selling it.

Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,839

monstersmasher wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm an amateur photographer and definitely know very little about cameras. I bought a Sony A7iii with a 28-70 mm kit lens last year (upgrade from my old Canon T4i). Three months in, the camera fall off the tripod. I had a screen protector on which saved the display screen. I noticed an instant dent around the metal ring part of the lens. The camera instantly started having focus issues (the aperture on the screen was showing as "-"). It was still taking pictures but they were all blurred.

Long story short, I got it repaired and the shutter was replaced along with a few minor repairs on the lens. The camera is working fine now but it makes me nervous because I've barely used it (shutter count was 1400 when it fell). I'm just nervous that a year from now, the old issue might cause a new issue, resulting in more repairs. I will probably not be replacing the camera for another 5 years.

For those of you who have gotten cameras repaired, how often have you faced issues related to the initial damage? I am thinking of selling the camera (maybe take a hit of a few hundred). Would you consider that a wise decision?

Did you have House, Renters or other insurance to cover your camera? you've paid to have the camera repaired, it's still not right, get the repairers to have another go - if that fails, sell it on as spares - buy another camera.. Thats Life..  L

-- hide signature --

Being Disabled, Photography is my way of telling the World "I Am Alive" ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS 5DS +5 more
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,084

monstersmasher wrote:

Hi everyone,

I wouldn't sell it, especially if it was repaired by a Sony service center. The repair would have some kind of warranty and they would have used original parts and trained technicians. No need to take that big financial hit to sell it and buy again.

If you were a pro and didn't want to take a risk that it might crap out on you in the middle of a job, it would be a more valid consideration.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon D610 +33 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP monstersmasher New Member • Posts: 7

NickZ2016 wrote:

If the repair was done correctly the camera should be like new.

But trading it in and letting the dealer deal with it isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't sell it to individual if you think it's a basket case.

any leads on what kind of dealers would take it in? I'm in Canada if that helps...

David5833 wrote:

monstersmasher wrote:

...Long story short, I got it repaired and the shutter was replaced along with a few minor repairs on the lens. The camera is working fine now but it makes me nervous because I've barely used it (shutter count was 1400 when it fell).

You're luckier than I was...when my D7200 fell off the tripod, it was damaged beyond repair.

...I am thinking of selling the camera (maybe take a hit of a few hundred). Would you consider that a wise decision?

If it's working perfectly now and it was something I liked using, I probably wouldn't sell it just because it had been repaired.

Thanks for your response. I am seriously thinking about keeping it because the market value has dropped since it's a used product regardless of the fall.

MannyV wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

I agree. I had a camera which needed repair. I won't name it as it will result in trolls and fanboys flaming. All I can say is the camera worked as good as new and was my workhorse for 4+ years and eventually sold it to a friend who knows it and still uses it and works fine - now 7 + years.

That's awesome. I might just end up keeping it instead of taking a hit. I will have to buy a new one even if I were to sell this one.

Leica Eye wrote:

monstersmasher wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm an amateur photographer and definitely know very little about cameras. I bought a Sony A7iii with a 28-70 mm kit lens last year (upgrade from my old Canon T4i). Three months in, the camera fall off the tripod. I had a screen protector on which saved the display screen. I noticed an instant dent around the metal ring part of the lens. The camera instantly started having focus issues (the aperture on the screen was showing as "-"). It was still taking pictures but they were all blurred.

Long story short, I got it repaired and the shutter was replaced along with a few minor repairs on the lens. The camera is working fine now but it makes me nervous because I've barely used it (shutter count was 1400 when it fell). I'm just nervous that a year from now, the old issue might cause a new issue, resulting in more repairs. I will probably not be replacing the camera for another 5 years.

Did you have House, Renters or other insurance to cover your camera? you've paid to have the camera repaired, it's still not right, get the repairers to have another go - if that fails, sell it on as spares - buy another camera.. Thats Life.. L

I did not have insurance. But it fell within 3 months of my purchase so I'm hoping to claim it through my credit card provider. It's working perfectly fine now, I'm just nervous about the future.

donaldsc wrote:

Are you planning to tell the prospective buyer about the fall?

Yes I was, but the camera is still under warranty for another 6 months so I'm hoping that would keep majority of the value should an issue arise after the sale.

Smaug01 wrote:

monstersmasher wrote:

Hi everyone,

I wouldn't sell it, especially if it was repaired by a Sony service center. The repair would have some kind of warranty and they would have used original parts and trained technicians. No need to take that big financial hit to sell it and buy again.

If you were a pro and didn't want to take a risk that it might crap out on you in the middle of a job, it would be a more valid consideration.

Thank you, this makes me feel better. It was repaired by a Sony service centre. I'm no professional; just an average traveller. It would suck for it to stop working in the middle of my trip but I could live with that.

Huntin4photos Contributing Member • Posts: 509

monstersmasher wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sounds similar to my crash, except my son pulled the camera strap hard from a shelf that was 6 foot 3 inches high resulting in the camera with lens attached crashing lens first onto a stone tile floor right in front of me.

The lens was an original Ef 24-70mm f2.8 Almost all of the body and zoom barrell/mechanism needed replacement.

However the glass lens did not despite a bent filter ring, etc. So the original glass remained but I did not want to spend great deal more money to replace the glass, even if necessary and would have sold it for parts, busted glass and all.

Before the crash I was not that impressed with its images. After repair that did not really change much.

Then I bought an R5. Used an adaptor and for whatever reasons, the lens was now far better to the point, I decided not to buy the $2k Rf 24-70mm after renting it for a weekend because the difference between the Ef and the Rf was very little.

Still working great. Instead I spent the money on an Rf28-70mm f2. Love that over the other two.

I know nothing about Sony or what to expect from their lens and I will leave it to others. Same for Nikon and all the rest. st al.

It is not that I worship Canon.

Started with Canon two hundred years ago as my first camera that was a gift. All I can do to keep up with all the Canon stuff.

So while i had your same misgivings for years, plus i felt duty bound to disclose the history of the lens, meaning I would get almost nothing if I sold it, the story has a happy ending for the me.

Btw. The canon 1ds came down on top of the lens and appeared undamaged and still works great with all of the other Ef lens for more than 15years EXCEPT The 24-70mm.  The 24-70mm absorbed the impact. When I picked it up I fully expected to hear the sound of glass tinkling down on the tile but nope.

But I worried about both for a long time, well maybe.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads