EOS RP, Super Telephoto Options

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Gam3r01 Junior Member • Posts: 40
EOS RP, Super Telephoto Options

So bit of a personal debate on my mind.

Ive had the RP (24-240mm) for about a year now, absolutely love the camera (coming from a rebel T6). I also purchased the RF35mm recently for indoor shooting which it does very well.

The (only) thing I miss about my rebel is the reach I got out of my 70-300mm USM lens. I could just adapt that lens to my RP but 240 vs 300mm really isnt going to do it for me, so I was considering a super telephoto for various uses, and somewhat settled on the RF 600mm. However, I recently began considering alternatives, like the SIgma 150-600mm lens (adapted EF to RF, with potentially an EF extender for funsies). The Sigma and RF 600mm lenses are priced similarly, and the focal range does sound appealing to me.

However, I have no real bearing on how well the lenses would compare in terms of IQ and focus speed on my RP. Primarily concerned about the long end of the Sigma lens. I had never really considered third party lenses. With tax season coming up I was wondering what sort of options everyone else would have on this matter?

Gam3r01's gear list:Gam3r01's gear list
Canon EOS RP Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,779
Re: EOS RP, Super Telephoto Options

Interested to see where this lands. Most of what I see on the RF f/11’s is from the R5 and R6 crowd a bit more equipped for low light and focusing at f/11.  Owning an RP, I haven’t seen much commentary on using the 600 on them.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
OP Gam3r01 Junior Member • Posts: 40

Exactly why I started considering other options.

The RP is fantastic for me, but the high ISO performance does drop off quickly, though I have read the IBIS on the R5/6 apparently adds very little to the RF600/800

Canon EOS RP Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Ray Chen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,465
Unbelievably Stable

Gam3r01 wrote:

...though I have read the IBIS on the R5/6 apparently adds very little to the RF600/800

Not sure where the magic lies, IBIS or optical IS or both, but it is insane when I saw my 800mm/R5 1/50 of a second handheld test shot in the house was usable.  I'm sure it can go slower and still will get some shots.  Obviously, this only works for stationary subjects.

-- hide signature --

Ray

Ray Chen's gear list:Ray Chen's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,101

I, too, will be interested to see where this goes. I lean toward the RF 600 because of its size, price, and control ring. I use the control ring for exposure compensation, and use it a lot for birds. The RF-EF adapters are still hard to find, as well. I **THINK** I can live with f/11.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,330

Have you tried using the 1.6X crop mode on the RP under Cropping/Axpect ratio setting on the first tab in the Menu?   This will give you closer to the reach of you APS-C camera.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more

RDM5546 wrote:

Have you tried using the 1.6X crop mode on the RP under Cropping/Axpect ratio setting on the first tab in the Menu? This will give you closer to the reach of you APS-C camera.

While it gets closer to the Apsc reach the drop to 10mp is just too bothersome for me to want to work with. I would rather spend the money for full resolution shots at a comparable (or greater) focal length. Not to mention I can just digitally crop to get the same effect, and with my 24-240mm the results are underwhelming at best.

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,403

I really had fun with the RF 600 on my RP but honestly I think the Sigma 150-600 C is a lot more flexible lens.  Unless weight is a big issue for me I’d probably go with that.  I’ve had great results with that lens on my RP.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Trent Severn Regular Member • Posts: 123
Depends on what and where you'll be shooting

Will you be using the telephoto for general wildlife? Birding? Or something else? Will you be shooting in locations that are generally sunny, offering a lot of light to work with?

If you can answer those questions, the choice of which lens to get will become a lot clearer.

A 150-600 offers more versatility, obviously, but it's also bigger/heavier than the primes, which is a consideration if you'll be handholding most of the time.

The F11 primes are slightly more of a niche lens, and they'll be fantastic to work with, as long as you fall into that niche.

Trent Severn's gear list:Trent Severn's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +5 more
Re: Depends on what and where you'll be shooting

Trent Severn wrote:

Will you be using the telephoto for general wildlife? Birding? Or something else? Will you be shooting in locations that are generally sunny, offering a lot of light to work with?

If you can answer those questions, the choice of which lens to get will become a lot clearer.

A 150-600 offers more versatility, obviously, but it's also bigger/heavier than the primes, which is a consideration if you'll be handholding most of the time.

The F11 primes are slightly more of a niche lens, and they'll be fantastic to work with, as long as you fall into that niche.

Currently, use would be primarily constrained to bright days, but that is likely to change as time goes on. Weight does not matter as much for me, half the time Im seated and I work for the Forest Service so arm strength helps out a bunch for the rest.

Do you have any insight into comparing IQ coming out of these lenses? That would probably be the biggest deciding factor given my usual shooting conditions being well lit.

Gam3r01 wrote:

Trent Severn wrote:

Currently, use would be primarily constrained to bright days, but that is likely to change as time goes on. Weight does not matter as much for me, half the time Im seated and I work for the Forest Service so arm strength helps out a bunch for the rest.

Do you have any insight into comparing IQ coming out of these lenses? That would probably be the biggest deciding factor given my usual shooting conditions being well lit.

In my experience the image quality from both is very similar.  The Sigma at 600mm sharpens up a bit between f/6.3 and f/8 but by f/8 it’s very sharp.  Both of them are decent lenses but at the end of the day the limitations of f/11 made me decide to pass on the RF 600.  Even so, I got lots of nice photos with it during my rental.  I think if I had an R5 or R6 I might have been more inclined to keep it given the improved high iso performance.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Gam3r01 wrote:

Trent Severn wrote:

In my experience the image quality from both is very similar. The Sigma at 600mm sharpens up a bit between f/6.3 and f/8 but by f/8 it’s very sharp. Both of them are decent lenses but at the end of the day the limitations of f/11 made me decide to pass on the RF 600. Even so, I got lots of nice photos with it during my rental. I think if I had an R5 or R6 I might have been more inclined to keep it given the improved high iso performance.

Similar performance is something I am excited to hear, thanks for the input.

Rawpaul
Rawpaul Senior Member • Posts: 2,484

Gam3r01 wrote:

So bit of a personal debate on my mind.

Ive had the RP (24-240mm) for about a year now, absolutely love the camera (coming from a rebel T6). I also purchased the RF35mm recently for indoor shooting which it does very well.

The (only) thing I miss about my rebel is the reach I got out of my 70-300mm USM lens. I could just adapt that lens to my RP but 240 vs 300mm really isnt going to do it for me, so I was considering a super telephoto for various uses, and somewhat settled on the RF 600mm. However, I recently began considering alternatives, like the SIgma 150-600mm lens (adapted EF to RF, with potentially an EF extender for funsies). The Sigma and RF 600mm lenses are priced similarly, and the focal range does sound appealing to me.

However, I have no real bearing on how well the lenses would compare in terms of IQ and focus speed on my RP. Primarily concerned about the long end of the Sigma lens. I had never really considered third party lenses. With tax season coming up I was wondering what sort of options everyone else would have on this matter?

I have used the SIgma 150-600mm contemporary lens on my Eos R , it works fine.

not yet on the R5.

I like the zooming option it doesn't pin you down at just one focal length.

Btw this is a SOOC jpeg no post ...just cropped

Rawpaul's gear list:Rawpaul's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Trent Severn Regular Member • Posts: 123

Bright is good for the Canon F11 lenses, obviously.

In my case, I passed on them because there were too many situations I foresaw in my usage where I would be shooting with less-than-ideal light. 80% of winter days in the Northeast is overcast, for instance, add to that when I'm shooting through dense foliage (and most of it handheld), I went with a telephoto zoom.

Trent Severn's gear list:Trent Severn's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +5 more
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 15,455

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I really had fun with the RF 600 on my RP but honestly I think the Sigma 150-600 C is a lot more flexible lens. Unless weight is a big issue for me I’d probably go with that. I’ve had great results with that lens on my RP.

I wondered about this, thanks.

? - does RP + 150-600 keep up with birds in flight?

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
Woodenfish Regular Member • Posts: 321

I know this is a different camera, and different lens, but I am having great performance from my Tamron 150-600 G2 on my R5. This is a shot at 500mm 1/3200, f8.0, Iso400 handheld. I've had good results with bif as well.

Woodenfish's gear list:Woodenfish's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more

MAC wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I really had fun with the RF 600 on my RP but honestly I think the Sigma 150-600 C is a lot more flexible lens. Unless weight is a big issue for me I’d probably go with that. I’ve had great results with that lens on my RP.

It does a fairly decent job but there’s definitely room for improvement.  The 100-500L definitely is noticeably faster.

-- hide signature --

KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,069

Sorry I can't answer this question better but I've got the RP & R5 with the 24-240 and I've also got the 5D4 and Tamron 150-600 G2 that I used a couple of years ago in SE Arizona at a "birding" place, These photos were made handheld about 50 to 150 feet from the subject. Very sharp in my opinion. Haven't tried the Tammy on either of the R bodies.

Scroll down some on this flickr link and you can see the tele photos of the animals. I am very pleased with this lens and I've gotten some great shots of the moon.

Kent

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108062364@N04/albums/72157717108089951

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,330

BirdShooter7 wrote:

MAC wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

It does a fairly decent job but there’s definitely room for improvement. The 100-500L definitely is noticeably faster.

My Canon EF 100-400 Mk II seems faster but not by a lot.  Mm Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary does have more reach.  My EF 400f2.8 IS seems a hair sharper than the zooms but it too heavy for many uses.  I do not have the RP but I do have the R which is similar in many ways to the RP but they do have different sensors.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more

Woodenfish wrote:

I know this is a different camera, and different lens, but I am having great performance from my Tamron 150-600 G2 on my R5. This is a shot at 500mm 1/3200, f8.0, Iso400 handheld. I've had good results with bif as well.

I have been reading the Tamron G2 performs fairly similarly to the Sigma C, the Tamron being ever so slightly sharper above 500mm but with a bit weaker AF performance. So even though its not the same camera or lens, it does provide good reference for the kind of performance I might expect.

And with the higher resolution sensor on your R5 any lens shortcomings would be very apparent, where on my RP you may not notice it as much, so its looking good it seems.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads