Excited about Fuji's forthcoming lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
holashobby Senior Member • Posts: 1,394
Excited about Fuji's forthcoming lenses

Leaving the camera releases aside for the moment, I am very excited about the Fuji's forthcoming lens releases, I am very keen on the

• 70-300 f4-5.6: Considerably smaller than the 100-400 and takes teleconverters, what's not to like. With a 1.4x teleconverter I am only at 5.6 at the wide end.
  • 27 f2.8 MKII: The aperture ring brings some welcome operational consistency to the XF line-up, with this I can carry around a fully weather resistant camera system without suffering stressing when there are light rain showers.
  • 18 f1.4: Smaller than the 16f1.4, the additional stop of light over the 18f2 is appreciated.

I am looking forward to all three!

holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
And-roid
And-roid Senior Member • Posts: 1,150
Re: Excited about Fuji's forthcoming lenses

holashobby wrote:

Leaving the camera releases aside for the moment, I am very excited about the Fuji's forthcoming lens releases, I am very keen on the

• 70-300 f4-5.6: Considerably smaller than the 100-400 and takes teleconverters, what's not to like. With a 1.4x teleconverter I am only at 5.6 at the wide end.
  • 27 f2.8 MKII: The aperture ring brings some welcome operational consistency to the XF line-up, with this I can carry around a fully weather resistant camera system without suffering stressing when there are light rain showers.
  • 18 f1.4: Smaller than the 16f1.4, the additional stop of light over the 18f2 is appreciated.

Will we get more info on the 18 1.4 this week?

70-300 looks very interesting compact mid tele, great for zoos and travel, nice job Fuji 👍

OP holashobby Senior Member • Posts: 1,394

And-roid wrote:

holashobby wrote:

Will we get more info on the 18 1.4 this week?

Not sure

70-300 looks very interesting compact mid tele, great for zoos and travel, nice job Fuji 👍

and the pricing, $799 is very competitive with the rest of the market.

Panasonic LX10 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
McWoodley
McWoodley Regular Member • Posts: 378

I am also excited about the 18 1.4 hoping it will be a good astro lens, fingers crossed.  Liking the size better than the 16 1.4.

I have the 100-400 so no real interest in the new telephoto other than it looks to a be a good bit smaller.

Also own the 27, the aperture ring would be welcomed but don't see spending the money on a mkII.  My mkI works just fine.

McWoodley's gear list:McWoodley's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +7 more

I find the weather resistance to be a more compelling reason to upgrade my 27f2.8, the reduced risk of water ingress would help my peace of mind during light rain showers.

jonathanblanchflower Regular Member • Posts: 171

holashobby wrote:

have pictures or specifications been released of 18 1.4?  how do you know it's smaller than 16?

jonathanblanchflower wrote:

holashobby wrote:

have pictures or specifications been released of 18 1.4? how do you know it's smaller than 16?

Here is a link to an old thread with images of the 18f1.4 and the 16f1.4.

holashobby wrote:

holashobby wrote:

have pictures or specifications been released of 18 1.4? how do you know it's smaller than 16?

awesome bud, cheers!

jrk
jrk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,192
From Fujirumors
 jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
MarkMyWords Regular Member • Posts: 184

Some bargains on the 55-200mm about to appear in the second hand market?

holashobby wrote:

holashobby wrote:

awesome bud, cheers!

Having looked at it, it does look pretty dinky - good news! I'm looking for a wide-angle for shooting at night time and this could be the one- although I don't exactly think the 16 looks massive. I mean, it's less than 400 grams. I don't think 18 has focus clutch as well, which I like as a feature, and the close-focusing of 16 (not to mention image quality) means that it'll have to be pretty good  - but definitely the lens I'm most interested in out of these three.

9VIII Senior Member • Posts: 1,185

At $799 that 70-300 sounds like a fantastic deal. We'll have to wait and see how good it really is, but their Tele-Macro marketing has me highly interested.

I don't buy a lot of first party lenses but this one could convince me.

Christopher Frost always does close focus comparisons so hopefully he'll get his hands on this lens sooner than later.

-- hide signature --

Marmite Gang For Life!!!

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +7 more
Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,493

holashobby wrote:

Although if you are adding the 1.4x its not to shoot wide open is it?

I agree its a welcome lens, although i think it should be cheaper, considering its an APS-C lens, so technically smaller then a FF one (less materials, focus motos moving smaller glass, etc...)

Honestly, its always good to have more options. But there isn't a small Fuji camera WR to pair with it and go out with a small combo.

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +3 more

Rmcp20 wrote:

holashobby wrote:

Although if you are adding the 1.4x its not to shoot wide open is it?

I am intending to shoot it wide open like my 50-140 with a 1.4x tele.

I agree its a welcome lens, although i think it should be cheaper, considering its an APS-C lens, so technically smaller then a FF one (less materials, focus motos moving smaller glass, etc...)

at $799 I am not complaining , the 100-400 is considerably more expensive and a too big for me.

Honestly, its always good to have more options. But there isn't a small Fuji camera WR to pair with it and go out with a small combo.

Your point is valid though I was thinking about my x-t3 when I said that, it's all relative.

9VIII Senior Member • Posts: 1,185

The price is the really scary part. If this lens is tack sharp on the long end it could compare favorably enough with the 100-400 to practically obsolete the larger lens in the eyes of any budget conscious user.

I know that making up for a 33% increase in focal length is a lot, but it's not out of the question. Fuji could finally have a budget birder's dream lens here.

Given that the new 70-300 is half the size and weight of my Canon 400f5.6 (and especially with the total lack of close focusing on the Canon), it might actually be worth owning both lenses.

Then if Fuji does release a 150-600mm they'll have all their bases covered.

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads