A1 - any hopes for focus bracketing?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,122
A1 - any hopes for focus bracketing?

N/t

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
SteveY80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,661
Re: A1 - any hopes for focus bracketing?

I had my fingers crossed that they'd add this, but I've seen no mention of it in any of the A1 information.

I often use focus bracketing with my current Panasonic gear. The lack of this feature is the only thing that's holding me back from switching to E-mount. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any indication that it'll ever be implemented.

SteveY80's gear list:SteveY80's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II +1 more
Platographer Regular Member • Posts: 480

I hope so. They included a lossless compression option, so you never know. However, I also feel as if Sony correcting the lack of focus bracketing is about as likely as Panasonic fixing its ridiculous exposure bracketing limitations. As cameras get more technologically advanced, it is quite frustrating that these easily fixable problems persist.

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,707

If seems like it would be the ideal camera to first implement this on, since the really fast e-shutter readout would save a lot of actuations when doing bracketing... Heck they could go crazy and one-up others by allowing you to combine focus bracketing with Pixel Shift in one seamless process, I mean it'd be a bear to combine 48-240 frames in post but what the heck... Focus bracketed 200MP shots anyone?

Somehow I doubt they've done anything in this vein tho, they'd have mentioned it by now.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +27 more
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,603

SafariBob wrote:

My thought is that focus stacking is much more awaited for the lower end series of cameras.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
SafariBob
OP SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,122

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

My thought is that focus stacking is much more awaited for the lower end series of cameras.

Probably true. But it would presumably arrive on the new menu system, of which there are no lower series cameras yet

Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,149
Re: A1 - lower end cameras????

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Why would that be? It is much used for high end macro science work? That kind of photography wants all the resolution they can get. And if the are working in the field, high frame rates and fast focus are better. I would think that the A1 should be perfect.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,603

Mike Fewster wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Why would that be? It is much used for high end macro science work? That kind of photography wants all the resolution they can get. And if the are working in the field, high frame rates and fast focus are better. I would think that the A1 should be perfect.

High quality focus stacking takes much more than just a quick in-camera solution.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more

Magnar W wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

High quality focus stacking takes much more than just a quick in-camera solution.

The thread topic is asking about focus bracketing rather than in camera focus stacking.

If the camera can automatically adjust focus between shots that makes high quality focus stacking afterwards much more reliable and convenient.

Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II +1 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,910

Mike Fewster wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

If you are that high end with your macros then you are probably using automated focusing rails and building your images in post. No focus breathing issues and maximum control. I too think it’s an amateur feature and why not just use a CamRanger if you want it. So it’s a “nice to see on the end of an already super-long feature list” feature but should never be escalated to big deal status.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more

SteveY80 wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

The thread topic is asking about focus bracketing rather than in camera focus stacking.

If the camera can automatically adjust focus between shots that makes high quality focus stacking afterwards much more reliable and convenient.

Exactly. There is much confusion between focus bracketing and focus stacking. Focus stacking is a tool for precision high end work. This has been discussed here before but still seems to be misunderstood.

As a high end camera, Sony is off the pace here and it shouldn't be. The A1 seems to have the focus ability and the processing power required to make this a relatively easy thing for them to add.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

TN Args wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

If you are that high end with your macros then you are probably using automated focusing rails and building your images in post. No focus breathing issues and maximum control. I too think it’s an amateur feature and why not just use a CamRanger if you want it. So it’s a “nice to see on the end of an already super-long feature list” feature but should never be escalated to big deal status.

Focus bracketing is probably my favourite camera feature of the last decade and it's something that I use regularly. I don't care if it's "amateur" or not - there are many shots that I simply wouldn't have managed without it.

That gives it "big deal status" for me and the lack of it is the one thing that's stopped me from switching to E-mount.

I've had a look at CamRanger, but for me that kind of kludge doesn't even come close to being a decent substitute for in camera focus bracketing.

SafariBob
OP SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,122

TN Args wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

This is a bit “no true Scotsman” to me, I think there is a large swath of enthusiast and professionals between “amateur” and automated focusing rails, where the combination of focus bracketing, eshutter, and even eshutter with flash would be very useful. Even so, if it was a purely amateur feature, I think they should add it to all upcoming cameras with the new menu system. And I would be happy to see in camera stacking too, it would make for great in field verification.

In my opinion, true macro without bracketing is somewhat niche. So it’s really only a question of whether it’s automatic or manual.

Re: C'mon, that isn't logical

TN Args wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Yes you can use automated focusing rails. And the price of those are? They once were a way to solve a photographic technique that simply no longer needs to be done this way.

You might as well argue that we all don't need high shutter speeds because "if we are really into that sort of thing we can use an electronic flash with time exposures in a dark place" You know, just like they used to do it.

or you might argue against the multiple pixel technique for high detail because you could do that with a bigger sensor camera.

Or you could argue that there is no case for the A1 because you can have a CamRanger and an A9 and an A7R4 and an A7S3

For many high end users, focus bracketing is a significant feature and competing cameras from other manufacturers understand this and have it. The Sony seems to have everything necessary in its focussing and processing capacities to be able to make the A1 a killer macro camera.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

All Bushs Fault Regular Member • Posts: 281

TN Args wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Ridiculous.

All Bushs Fault's gear list:All Bushs Fault's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100S Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads