M6 to M6ii

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Aussie Coop
Aussie Coop Regular Member • Posts: 398
M6 to M6ii

Can anyone that has upgraded tell me how they like the new grip ( I read it was deeper )  and if the new back button AF button feels easier to use than on the original

Aussie Coop's gear list:Aussie Coop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R +12 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Risto456 New Member • Posts: 24
Re: M6 to M6ii

Aussie Coop wrote:

Can anyone that has upgraded tell me how they like the new grip ( I read it was deeper ) and if the new back button AF button feels easier to use than on the original

Certainly (upgraded just recently)

The deeper grip as well as slightly more chunky AE-lock/AF-selection section helps a lot, so the camera appears to fit hand in a much more stable and secure manner (larger hands in my case).

I'm not sure about closes AF-button on the original M6 (have been using half-press mainly, rather than custom button config), but on the mkII (due to the mentioned grip design change), the new AF button is reasonably reachable when operating single-handed with a smaller EF lens - the closest comparison would be using (touching) the (?) zoom dial on the original M6, although in this case with a more secure grip.

Aussie Coop
OP Aussie Coop Regular Member • Posts: 398
 Aussie Coop's gear list:Aussie Coop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R +12 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,686

Agree that the grip is improved, esp when handling larger lenses.  It’s subtle (no M body can rival a big FF grip) but it’s nevertheless very comfortable.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,196

Aussie Coop wrote:

Can anyone that has upgraded tell me how they like the new grip ( I read it was deeper ) and if the new back button AF button feels easier to use than on the original

Don't have the M6, I traded up from the M50 which is similar. The grip does make a difference it's deeper and beefier.

For me the AF/MF switch is the bigger change. I like BB focus but on the M50 I found it to not be very useful because of the location of the button. On the MK II there's a button in the cent of the AF/MF switch and I have assigned that to BB focus. It feels very natural and after only a few days it easily became second nature.

The M50 has the video record button on top. and the MK II Video Button is on the back in pretty much the same location as the M6. I kept inadvertently hitting it. I don't use video enough to have an assigned on/off button so I just turned that button off, that solved my problem.

Where the M6 has the EC mode dial the MKII has the dial function press that an quite a few adjustments can be made including EC and FEC when using the flash. I FInd it quick and very useful to change settings.  I very seldom have to enter the menu system

Over all the MKII is a huge improvement for me over the M50.

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
palombian Regular Member • Posts: 302

The grip is a bit larger but for my small hands not an issue.

I like the DIAL FUNC button most.

The M6 has on this place only the exposure compensation, too stiff to be turned with the thumb.

The M6II is the first M easily manipulated before the eye (as a DSLR).

On condition you mount the EVF and probably not what Canon had in mind in the beginning (on the M6 you even couldn't move the focus points on the touch screen with EVF active, you had to to it with the wheel).

palombian's gear list:palombian's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 II +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads