Using iPhone to copy print

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,908
Using iPhone to copy print

Can anyone suggest a way to photograph a print photo using the iPhone?

Sometimes it comes out fine, but mostly I have trouble with reflections and can't figure out a good way to eliminate them.

 CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D500 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D700 +17 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,063
Re: Using iPhone to copy print

CMCM wrote:

Can anyone suggest a way to photograph a print photo using the iPhone?

Sometimes it comes out fine, but mostly I have trouble with reflections and can't figure out a good way to eliminate them.

I've used PhotoScan by Google Photos with my Samsung smartphone with some success.

It's apparently available for iPhones, as well:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photoscan-by-google-photos/id1165525994

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

OP CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,908
Re: Using iPhone to copy print

Patco wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Can anyone suggest a way to photograph a print photo using the iPhone?

Sometimes it comes out fine, but mostly I have trouble with reflections and can't figure out a good way to eliminate them.

I've used PhotoScan by Google Photos with my Samsung smartphone with some success.

It's apparently available for iPhones, as well:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photoscan-by-google-photos/id1165525994

After you scan a photo, does it become a jpeg and go into your photos same as when you just take a photo with the iPhone?

 CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D500 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D700 +17 more
KCK14 Senior Member • Posts: 1,018
Re: Using iPhone to copy print

I've used my iPhone to copy small old snapshots very successfully.  Better than my scanner for less than 4x6.    Old snapshots usually have a white border.  I use 4 quarters to very slightly hold down each corner to get it flat.  Crop out later.   Have an adaptor to hold phone on tripod.   Turn off overhead light and have desk lamp pointing at another area of desk and that seems to be enough light.

 KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,063
Re: Using iPhone to copy print

CMCM wrote:

Patco wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Can anyone suggest a way to photograph a print photo using the iPhone?

Sometimes it comes out fine, but mostly I have trouble with reflections and can't figure out a good way to eliminate them.

I've used PhotoScan by Google Photos with my Samsung smartphone with some success.

It's apparently available for iPhones, as well:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photoscan-by-google-photos/id1165525994

After you scan a photo, does it become a jpeg and go into your photos same as when you just take a photo with the iPhone?

Mine go into a subfolder, PhotoScan, of the DCIM folder as jpegs.
That's with my Samsung. I don't know if it would be the same for iPhones.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads