Why is my canon m50 never able to take good pictures indoors

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Thanu New Member • Posts: 1
Why is my canon m50 never able to take good pictures indoors

Hello.  I am a new photographer and desperately looking for help.

I work at a veterinary clinic and I need to take pictures for our website gallery, social media etc.

I have the kit lens at the moment, but I am ready to spend a little to get another lens. (again looking for recommendations as I do not know much about lenses)

Obviously, vet clinic means indoors, and pets move all the time. Therefore I cannot afford to go below 200 shutter speed for dogs.

At this shutter speed, even if the room has okay lighting, I get blurry pictures always.

ISO is usually above 800

And f, at the minimum available 3.5

Now, sometimes the camera captures faces of staff who are standing beside animals sharply, but the faces of the animals are blurry or out of focus.

What am I doing wrong? Please help

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Clickalot
Clickalot Contributing Member • Posts: 591
Re: Why is my canon m50 never able to take good pictures indoors

As an M5 user I'd recommend a good external flash unit like the Canon EL100. The minuscule flash tube built into our cameras is worse than a joke.

MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,056

It’s not the camera’s fault. 
 It’s your understanding of photography that is causing you this frustration.

Without buying new equipment you will need to use much higher iso like 3200-6400 when using a kit lens and use good processing software to sharpen up and reduce noise in the images.

second option is add lighting which could be problematic with some animals.

You asked about better lens but what need to balance then is depth of field ( what’s in focus) vs how high up the iso scale your willing to go so look for lens with F1.2, f1.4 f1.8;etc

other than that you may want to consider going with a larger sensor camera and a fast zoom lens like the 24-70 f2.8 .

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 +7 more
Clickalot
Clickalot Contributing Member • Posts: 591

Bounce a good flash off the ceiling with 200 shutter speed and all is happiness. Bounce doesn't impact animals like direct flash does.

-- hide signature --

On a Planet of Eight Billion, We're In a Pretty Nice Bubble.

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,443
Focus point selection?

Apart from the other suggestions which are relevant, I noticed that you write that persons in your pictures could sometimes be sharp. This led me to ask, how you use focus points?

AF will not always be able to figure out what you want in focus, so carefully selecting your focus method and focus point might help you achieve better pictures.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more

Clickalot wrote:

Bounce a good flash off the ceiling with 200 shutter speed and all is happiness. Bounce doesn't impact animals like direct flash does.

I work with Guidedogs U.K. and some animals can become very nervous even with bounce flash . I know as one of my jobs is to photograph the dogs as they develop during their training.

-- hide signature --

Nikon Coolpix P1000 Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 +7 more
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,142
Re: Focus point selection?

Klaus dk wrote:

Apart from the other suggestions which are relevant, I noticed that you write that persons in your pictures could sometimes be sharp. This led me to ask, how you use focus points?

AF will not always be able to figure out what you want in focus, so carefully selecting your focus method and focus point might help you achieve better pictures.

Klaus made a very good point. A lot of modern cameras now recognize human faces and automatically focus on them. (I've heard some recognize pet faces too now)

If you are shooting in a fully automatic mode, the camera's fuzzy logic may be prioritizing the focus of the human face.

One good option would be to: Set your camera to 'S' (Shutter Priority) mode and set your shutter speed to 200. It will open the lens aperture wide, then raise the sensitivity until 1/200 sec. can give a good exposure. The resulting image will have more noise, (grainy) but will at least be sharp from a motion blur point of view.

Another option: Take them outside for the pic, assuming daylight is available, and you won't have the noise issue.

Another option: If your camera has a mode to recognize and autofocus on pet faces, use that, and if the owner is blurred, too bad! If they BOTH need to be in focus, you'll need to use a smaller aperture or set up the shot so that both the pet and owner are the same distance from you. (side-by-side, instead of one in front of the other)

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +33 more
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,190

Thanu wrote:

Hello. I am a new photographer and desperately looking for help.

I work at a veterinary clinic and I need to take pictures for our website gallery, social media etc.

I have the kit lens at the moment, but I am ready to spend a little to get another lens. (again looking for recommendations as I do not know much about lenses)

The kit lens isn't the lens you need for indoor shooting. I'd recommend theEF-m 22mm f/2 STM or the ef-m 32mm  f/1.4 STM both are good but the 32mm is the sharpest EF-M lens made by Canon for the M series and it lets in a lot more light. The 32mm is significantly more expensive but if you can afford it it's the best fast M lens.

Also I'd strongly suggest you pick up a TTL (M50) compatible flash. I use this flash the TT 350C for my M50 and the M6 MKII. It's a very capable flash and not only will it provide light but it will also freeze motion. There are many training video on the use of this flash on camera indoors on YouTube.

Obviously, vet clinic means indoors, and pets move all the time. Therefore I cannot afford to go below 200 shutter speed for dogs.

At this shutter speed, even if the room has okay lighting, I get blurry pictures always.

It could be your technique or the shutter speed is to low.

ISO is usually above 800

The M50 will easily handle 800 ISO and give you very good photos (see the photo below done captured indoors with the M50 and the EFS 40mm f/2.8.

I'd suggest that you use the camera in TV (shutter priority) mode.

Canon M50 with the ef-s 40mm @ f/2.8 mounted with adapter. Indoors in a gym with very low and poor lighting.

And f, at the minimum available 3.5

Now, sometimes the camera captures faces of staff who are standing beside animals sharply, but the faces of the animals are blurry or out of focus.

Check you have selected the appropriate metering mode (evaluative usually) and the proper AF Method.

What am I doing wrong? Please help

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,282

Care to share some samples?

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +54 more
Bob A L Senior Member • Posts: 2,587

Using fast lenses wide open and going to FF will both make the original posters problem worse not better. He needs more dof and more accuracy on what he focuses on.  He would probably be better off using a point and shoot with small sensor or a good phone.

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,212

Clickalot wrote:

That works if they are somewhat isolated where you have some control, but can cause problems if there other animals around that don't expect it. I think it's the strange shadows that spook them.

Bob A L wrote:

Using fast lenses wide open and going to FF will both make the original posters problem worse not better. He needs more dof and more accuracy on what he focuses on. He would probably be better off using a point and shoot with small sensor or a good phone.

My suggestion was so the OP can use much higher iso . The reason for the f2.8 is for ease of focusing rather than shooting wide open. I did mention about dof . 
 Problem with point and shoot is getting good enough images at high iso as the OP needs higher shutter speeds .

-- hide signature --

RED i Senior Member • Posts: 1,845
Invest in a flash head

Check out Godox for descent but cheap on price flash heads. Then practice some flash photography.

-- hide signature --

(Yes I do take and have photos and they're grainy) http://bluei.ca

RED i's gear list:RED i's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +1 more
ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,456

You are getting some questionable advice. Some of it may be right, but much of it will not help you.

What will help is if you can post at least one example. And you tell us what you think is wrong with the photo, so we know what needs to be done.

Otherwise, this being an equipment-oriented web site, a lot of people will just tell you to go out and buy some expensive gear, which won't help at all unless you know what to buy, why to buy it, and how to use it.

But from what you have said, it sounds like you are focusing wrong, which is probably not an equipment problem at all.  And if you need both animal faces and owners' faces in focus simultaneously, that's a depth of field problem, and by the way, expensive lenses and cameras won't help at all with that problem.

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Contributing Member • Posts: 702
My suggestion is to get an EL 100 flash

I take lots of photos of our dogs, and have used several different lenses and existing light/flash options. I have found that I don't really need a fast shutter speed. 1/60 of a second is usually enough with flash. I always bounce the flash, since direct flash (to me) never looks good. The dogs don't seem to mind the bounced flash.

I am not knowledgeable about the M50's high ISO performance, but my RP can shoot up to ISO 12800 (with a fast prime) and shoot excellent photos.

Here is one I shot of my Japanese Chin and French Bulldog, with bounce flash and another shot at ISO 12800 of the French Bulldog with no flash (and a RF 35mm f2.0 IS macro).

Oh, also included are two photos of one of our other dogs and the pictures are blurry. They are two of my favorite photos of him, though.

Try the EL-100 flash, bounce it, I bet you will be happy with the results.

With bounced flash, EL 100, and inexpensive EF-S zoom lens.

French Bulldog, existing light, ISO 12800

Nose is sharp, anyway.

Blurry Dragonfly!

trungtran Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

You need more light. Even a fast lens and FF sensor leaves me wanting more IQ for indoor photos.

I always use bounce flash to get cleaner images.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,248

As much as it is nice to know how others are doing it , it would make it a lot easier to see a photo or two on how you do it.

Believe it or not , sometime a picture does reveal more than words do.

Post the photo straight from the camera , do not process it.

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,456
Re: My suggestion is to get an EL 100 flash

SteveinLouisville wrote:

I always bounce the flash, since direct flash (to me) never looks good.

Just curious.  What do you do if the ceiling is colored?

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,339

SteveinLouisville wrote:

I take lots of photos of our dogs, and have used several different lenses and existing light/flash options. I have found that I don't really need a fast shutter speed. 1/60 of a second is usually enough with flash. I always bounce the flash, since direct flash (to me) never looks good. The dogs don't seem to mind the bounced flash.

I am not knowledgeable about the M50's high ISO performance, but my RP can shoot up to ISO 12800 (with a fast prime) and shoot excellent photos.

Here is one I shot of my Japanese Chin and French Bulldog, with bounce flash and another shot at ISO 12800 of the French Bulldog with no flash (and a RF 35mm f2.0 IS macro).

Oh, also included are two photos of one of our other dogs and the pictures are blurry. They are two of my favorite photos of him, though.

Try the EL-100 flash, bounce it, I bet you will be happy with the results.

With bounced flash, EL 100, and inexpensive EF-S zoom lens.

French Bulldog, existing light, ISO 12800

Nose is sharp, anyway.

Blurry Dragonfly!

Send them to me...!

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Contributing Member • Posts: 702

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

I always bounce the flash, since direct flash (to me) never looks good.

Just curious. What do you do if the ceiling is colored?

For the most part, the ceilings I bounce off are not dark, but not exactly white either. They (the ceilings) are usually partially obstructed by ceiling fans.

I shoot in RAW, and when I open the photo, I color correct it using the eyedropper on something white in the photo, like, say, the dog's white fur. If there isn't anything white, I try the eyedropper on a neutral tone. The other option is select AWB (White priority).

Of the three methods, the eyedropper on something white works the best. The AWB implementation in the RP is quite accurate, however. Even as a default setting either AWB (ambient priority) or AWB (white priority) is quite acceptable. Flash coverage with the EL-100 seems to be best with a zoom, at around 60-100mm. Nice, even shadowless lighting, like the photo of the two dogs taken at 55mm with an EF-S 55-250 IS zoom. I shot the dogs in Tv mode, 1/20 of a second because I wanted to balance the exposure as much as possible. I relied on IS to keep everything sharp.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads