Calibration Monitor difference Facebook,Instagram etc.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Lbs26
Lbs26 Forum Member • Posts: 69
Calibration Monitor difference Facebook,Instagram etc.

Hi folks !I have a question regarding display calibration.

So...after calibrating my display with Xrite i1,i noticed that my photos look more dark and contrasty in Facebook,Instagram and other Smartphone devices etc. except in Photoshop...i know many many great famous Photographers who upload daily photos to Facebook and Instagram etc. and i just wanna know how they deal with this issues.

What i mean...you start edit you photo,you start balancing the blacks,shadows and when you upload BOOM surprise ?

Any idea,or i am doing something wrong ?I have re-calibrated my monitor 5-6 times and same things happens always !

Lbs26's gear list:Lbs26's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,664
Color management

Lbs26 wrote:

So...after calibrating my display with Xrite i1,i noticed that my photos look more dark and contrasty in Facebook,Instagram and other Smartphone devices etc. except in Photoshop...i know many many great famous Photographers who upload daily photos to Facebook and Instagram etc. and i just wanna know how they deal with this issues.

This is likely not a display calibration problem, but probably has something to do with color management.

So you do the display calibration, and then you load the generated profile into your computer operating system? Both Windows and Mac have places in the system settings where the profile is installed.

Then when you edit an image, you save it with an sRGB profile embedded in it?

Is your image editor color managed? What do you use, and what version?

Is your web browser color managed? What do you use? Is color management actually turned on?

Basically, everything in your computer that you use to view and edit images needs to be color managed, and the right color profiles need to be used in the right spots.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Lbs26
OP Lbs26 Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Color management

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

This is likely not a display calibration problem, but probably has something to do with color management.

So you do the display calibration, and then you load the generated profile into your computer operating system? Both Windows and Mac have places in the system settings where the profile is installed.

Is your web browser color managed? What do you use? Is color management actually turned on?

Basically, everything in your computer that you use to view and edit images needs to be color managed, and the right color profiles need to be used in the right spots.

Yes my calibration runs perfectly fine,i am on Windows 10 64 bit

-Yes when i export my image i use sRGB and Embedded profile

-My browser i do not know if it is color managed,i use Chrome,Firefox its same situation.

-I use Photoshop and display the profile perfectly fine but outside of Photoshop everything has deep blacks crushed shadows.

-I want my images viewed by other people to look great not with crushed shadows.Before calibrating my display everything was very good looking from smartphones,other computers non calibrated devices...i guess maybe calibration is better if you print,for web social media its worse than before.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Screen shot

Could you upload here a screen shot of Photoshop's color settings?

Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,191
Re: Color management

Lbs26 wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

Yes my calibration runs perfectly fine,i am on Windows 10 64 bit

-Yes when i export my image i use sRGB and Embedded profile

The Xrite program should set your monitor to its created profile. I don't have Xrite I use Data Color and it changes my monitor profile name to spyderexpress RGB. I load that profile (under preferences) to all my programs that I use for photo manipulation (Affinity, Corel, and Adobe). I never change/touch the color profile back to SRGB because my spyder express profile is just a color adjusted SRGB profile. I would think yours would be the same.

-My browser i do not know if it is color managed,i use Chrome,Firefox its same situation.

-I use Photoshop and display the profile perfectly fine but outside of Photoshop everything has deep blacks crushed shadows.

-I want my images viewed by other people to look great not with crushed shadows.Before calibrating my display everything was very good looking from smartphones,other computers non calibrated devices...i guess maybe calibration is better if you print,for web social media its worse than before.

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
Lbs26
Re: Screen shot

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln

Those settings look fine. Hmmm….

giarc
giarc Senior Member • Posts: 1,054

Lbs26 wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Maybe provide a couple of example files? You sure you export in sRGB?

Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 14,600
Calibration settings in i1 Profiler?

Lbs26 wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

What are the calibration settings you are using to create the profile?

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Professional photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
ToshDog
ToshDog Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: Calibration Monitor difference Facebook,Instagram etc.

Lbs26 wrote:

What i mean...you start edit you photo,you start balancing the blacks,shadows and when you upload BOOM surprise ?

No surprise IF you use a color managed software for image editing AND a color managed browser. They will match (GPU/Bugs aside). ALL applications should then match visually at the proper (same) zoom ratio (100%) no matter what you set for the calibration and resulting profile. A mismatch indicates the 'other' application, the browser isn't using color management or setup to do so (this has to be configured for some browsers by the user):

https://cameratico.com/color-management/firefox/

Starkiller Regular Member • Posts: 201

Fcebook does not support color management.

The only browser with color management is Firefox, but you have to manually activate it.

type in:
about:config
Search for:
gfx.color_management.mode -> set value to "1" (2 is standard)
gfx.color_management.enablev4 -> set value to "true"

The only image viewer with color management is Irfanview. You have to download the color management Plug-In.

You can use this German site to easily check if color management is supported:

http://fotovideotec.de/browser_farbmanagement/farb-testbilder.html

The image with the cows uses an inverted sRGB color space. If you see inverted colors, your visited website, browser and/or image app does not support color management. Just download the image and test it wherever you want. If you don't see invertetd colors, your browser or image app has either read out the embedded color profile correctly and re-inverted the colors OR just guessed correctly it is an sRGB image. To get sure your browser or image app did not just guess, have a look at the 6th test. You should see a difference between sRGB, Adobe RGB and Wide Garmut. The colors must not look the same.

Your image must have an embedded color profile. Without an embedded color profile, the profile can not be read. Loading up an image to Facebook deletes the profile. Your browser then most likely uses the monitor profile, which is bad, if have a wide garmut monitor.

Starkiller's gear list:Starkiller's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
ToshDog
ToshDog Forum Member • Posts: 87

Starkiller wrote:

Fcebook does not support color management.

You sure?

The only browser with color management is Firefox, but you have to manually activate it.

Not even close: there are far more color managed browsers: Safari for example and more:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

type in:
about:config
Search for:
gfx.color_management.mode -> set value to "1" (2 is standard)
gfx.color_management.enablev4 -> set value to "true"

No longer necessary. CMS is on by default now.

Your image must have an embedded color profile. Without an embedded color profile, the profile can not be read.

Yes it can; all color managed applications must make an assumption for untagged data, usually that is sRGB. When you select an RGB Working Space in Photoshops Color Settings, you're also telling Photoshop to assume all untagged data is in sRGB. Switch that to Adobe RGB, all untagged images are now assumed to be Adobe RGB. View sRGB assumed as Adobe RGB or vise versa, you've got a problem! Which is one reason sRGB is recommended for posting to the web. With a profile ideally. But without the profile yet with with a proper color management assumption, no need for that profile, all is fine.

Loading up an image to Facebook deletes the profile.

And sRGB is used for the assumption of the color space in most if not all color managed browsers. You can't have color management without a color space to assume (or know via the tag or EXIF) in order to preview that image. If the data is in that color space, all is fine. Facebook just wants to save 4k per image uploaded with that profile so they strip it, I can see how billions of 4K ICC matrix profiles can add up. Facebook read through a color managed application using sRGB for untagged data, from sRGB data; no problems at all.

Your browser then most likely uses the monitor profile, which is bad, if have a wide garmut monitor.

Safari did this many years ago and it's a mistake to do so, Apple smartly changed this to sRGB. This has nothing to do with sRGB or wider gamut displays, it's a bad idea to assume a display for untagged data instead of sRGB; who actually converts their image data to their display color space? As such, it's silly to assume this. But sRGB can make a lot more sense.

Bottom line: you need a color managed browser. There are many. You need to upload sRGB not because it's ideal but because the vast majority of images, with or without a tag going to the web are reasonably close to sRGB. So when you assume sRGB, it should be fine when the data is in sRGB.

Lbs26

I resolved my issues,but i was busy not enter here...

How i solved..initially my Camera Raw and Adobe Photoshop booth was set in Adobe RGB...then i noticed that the histogram shift 1 stop brighter when using Adobe RGB,then i re-set Camera Raw + Photoshop everything in sRGB,i changed my browser after that to Firefox + activated the color menagement and installed IRFAN viewer,now everything is top notch... !

Mainly the Adobe RGB and sRGB histogram difference was that is confusing me...Adobe RGB shows me 1 stop brighter histogram,after the export the images looked too dark,i am not expert,but maybe because my monitor is sRGB.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads