How common is ‘Error 1’ on 24-105 v1 lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
an_also
an_also Contributing Member • Posts: 555
How common is ‘Error 1’ on 24-105 v1 lenses?

I’m thinking of picking up one of these bad boys in the used market. Then I started reading about the error 1 messages people have gotten with this lens. Is it a wide spread problem? Or should I take a chance...?

Thanks

-- hide signature --
 an_also's gear list:an_also's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,310
Re: How common is ‘Error 1’ on 24-105 v1 lenses?

It happened to me. I understand it's fairly widespread. My lens was almost eleven years old when it occurred, in 2016, and it had served me well. Repair was fairly expensive, and I needed to micro-adjust focus after. I'm still using it — no further issues.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
an_also
OP an_also Contributing Member • Posts: 555

Graham Meale wrote:

It happened to me. I understand it's fairly widespread. My lens was almost eleven years old when it occurred, in 2016, and it had served me well. Repair was fairly expensive, and I needed to micro-adjust focus after. I'm still using it — no further issues.

thsnks for the reply. I guess I should be looking for used copies with serial numbers of recent year manufactured lens.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
msowsun
msowsun Contributing Member • Posts: 706

I wouldn’t worry too much about the build date. Some older lenses are in like new condition. The ribbon cable eventually breaks after a lot of use. Just look for one in pristine condition without much use.

Also, most, if not all, EF 24-105mm f4L USM lenses have a date code on the mount. Here is one from Aug 2011. If it doesn’t have a date code, it would need to have a 10 digit serial number in order to decode a build date.

msowsun's gear list:msowsun's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D +27 more
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 2,283

Happened to mine after about 6 years and lots of use .

I've never heard of a repaired one having a second failure - might be better to find one that has been fixed, rather than one that hasn't  failed yet.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +29 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,430

My experience is with EF-S lenses. The first 24-105 was introduced in 2005, between the EF-S 17-85 and 10-22 which were introduced in 2004, and the 17-55 from 2006.

Those three EF-S lenses are known for the ribbon cable failure. I've had one 10-22 and two 17-55es break down on me. The cost of repair was high enough to eliminate what I saved from buying them second hand.

To be honest, I didn't know about the 24-105 before I read the OP, but it seems reasonable that it too would suffer the same weakness.

I suppose that Canon over time quietly changed the ribbon cable of the aperture assembly to a more sturdy one, so that repaired specimens doesn't fail again, but that is merely an assumption.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Huntin4photos Contributing Member • Posts: 509

I have been told by two different repair companies that on zoom lenses the most common failure is the cable as it must flex as the lens is zoomed in and out.

Like anything, be it a spring or cable, constant flexing sooner or later will cause cracks that will interfere with passage of the signal, hence the cable does not usually break into separate parts with the parts left dangling, before problems occur.

Visual inspection of the cable may not show problems and it requires testing with current.

When I asked about how many years, the answer was that it depended on the amount of use, temperature and type of lens, so anywhere from 5 to 25 plus years, depending.

Paradoxically in my mind, the smaller the diameter of the lens and the shorter is the zoom lenght, the more likely the failure over a shorter time period (or so i was told) compared to large lens with long barrel movement.

I am surprised about your expenses being high. The cables are relatively cheap.

When my 24-70mm canon ef crashed, the zoom barrel and other parts had to be replaced along with adjustments made.

For the cost of the cable (something like $5.00 back then) they replaced the cable although it had no problems, done simply to add more years to the life expantacy over the prior existing cable before replacment became necessary.

dlinney Regular Member • Posts: 301

Mine went two years ago when it was 12 years and 40,000 images old. The repair and general service in the UK cost me £220 including VAT and I ended up with a lens that looked and performed as good, if not better, than new.

-- hide signature --

Derek

dlinney's gear list:dlinney's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
an_also

Thanks for all the replies.

Do you guys think canon will service this problem on this lens for a while? I know at some point canon stops servicing older lenses.

-- hide signature --

an_also wrote:

Do you guys think canon will service this problem on this lens for a while? I know at some point canon stops servicing older lenses.

Heard different dates. Some say ten years in USA with Canon USA.

But I have heard others having equipment serviced that was much older.

There are third party shops that will work on them regardless of manufacturing date as they have or can locate replacement parts. Some even will rebuild ISM motors.

Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 2,283

Huntin4photos wrote:

an_also wrote:

There are third party shops that will work on them regardless of manufacturing date as they have or can locate replacement parts. Some even will rebuild ISM motors.

At one time, one job I did had responsibility for end-of-life of car parts for a motor manufacturer. Here, we had a statutory duty for some types of part, but fundamentally, if a part was still selling and was profitable, we would keep it on sale indefinitely. If not, at some point, we would have to predict what sales would be until we could discontinue having the part available, and have what we called an all-time buy from one last production tun, It was a case of looking at sales trends, and guessing. And I'm assuming somebody will be doing the same thing with ribbon cables for Canon, too. Canon are generally pretty good at fixing anything they have spares for - once they're gone, though, that's it.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +29 more

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Huntin4photos wrote:

an_also wrote:

At one time, one job I did had responsibility for end-of-life of car parts for a motor manufacturer. Here, we had a statutory duty for some types of part, but fundamentally, if a part was still selling and was profitable, we would keep it on sale indefinitely. If not, at some point, we would have to predict what sales would be until we could discontinue having the part available, and have what we called an all-time buy from one last production tun, It was a case of looking at sales trends, and guessing. And I'm assuming somebody will be doing the same thing with ribbon cables for Canon, too. Canon are generally pretty good at fixing anything they have spares for - once they're gone, though, that's it.

yes. I remember now that there are federal statutes primarily under the general FTC headings that require manufacturers to produce and make spare parts for 10 years after that particular model [NOT THE ACTUAL LENS or car] is sold.

The lens could be 5 to 25 years old, but if they sold the last one of that particular model 5 years ago, they are required to be able to supply new  OEM repair  parts for another 5 years or in some cases,  generic parts of equal quality or in some cases, if parts are no longer available, provide as a  replacement, new product of equal quality and value.

After that date, they are not required to keep providing new repair parts or support.

Law applies to many types of goods sold commercially by any manufacturer.

Hence,  there may come out sometime  later, a version ii or iii, that some wonder why because not much changed. Now you know why.

an_also

Would it be worth it so spend a few hundred more dollars to get the V2 of this lens? Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade so I'm curious to see if its still just a better value to get the V1.

What do you guys think?

-- hide signature --
an_also

Huntin4photos wrote:

an_also wrote:

Thanks. That makes sense.

-- hide signature --

Depends on many factors. That is all I can say.

Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,310

an_also wrote:

Would it be worth it so spend a few hundred more dollars to get the V2 of this lens? Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade so I'm curious to see if its still just a better value to get the V1.

What do you guys think?

I was looking forward to the v2 and all set to upgrade, but as you say, it's not much of an upgrade, so I changed my mind and bought a 16-35 f/4 L instead. But in your shoes, I'd probably go for the v2, as the v1 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Something else might break!

By the way, mine cost $413.89 Canadian to be repaired in Ottawa in 2016.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,286

an_also wrote:

What do you guys think?

It is my understanding that it was mostly the earlier copies (first "few" years after the 2005 release) that were affected.

My original 24-105L was bought in 2012 and I sold it in perfect condition in 2018 - it was my primary lens for those years. I had no problems with it.

I bought a 24-105L ii at a very good price, and before I sold the original I did some fairly extensive testing on a tripod with the suburban street scene at various focal lengths and all apertures.

In summary, after lots of pixel peeping, I found that I preferred the shot form the Mk ii in about 60% of cases, so it was marginally better than my Mk i. Some additional thoughts on the "upgrade";

• Mk ii is less prone to flare
  • Mk ii has noticably better IS
  • Mk ii has a zoom lock switch which could be significantly if you walk around a lot with it - the Mk i was very prone to bad zoom creep and had no switch
  • Mk ii has a nicer hood with locking button
  • Mk ii seems to have marginally faster AF, but not significant
  • Mk ii is both larger and heavier
  • Mk ii is significantly more costly (new) than a used Mk i

On the whole, I have no regrets getting a Mk ii, but I would only do it if there was generous savings to be had - my changeover cost was no too big, so it was worth it. The improvements are incremental rather than substantial.

I think I would be inclined to look for a later model of Mk i (perhaps 2010 onwards) unless a very good deal on Mk ii was available.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
an_also

Andy01 wrote:

an_also wrote:

What do you guys think?

It is my understanding that it was mostly the earlier copies (first "few" years after the 2005 release) that were affected.

My original 24-105L was bought in 2012 and I sold it in perfect condition in 2018 - it was my primary lens for those years. I had no problems with it.

I bought a 24-105L ii at a very good price, and before I sold the original I did some fairly extensive testing on a tripod with the suburban street scene at various focal lengths and all apertures.

In summary, after lots of pixel peeping, I found that I preferred the shot form the Mk ii in about 60% of cases, so it was marginally better than my Mk i. Some additional thoughts on the "upgrade";

• Mk ii has a zoom lock switch which could be significantly if you walk around a lot with it - the Mk i was very prone to bad zoom creep and had no switch

On the whole, I have no regrets getting a Mk ii, but I would only do it if there was generous savings to be had - my changeover cost was no too big, so it was worth it. The improvements are incremental rather than substantial.

I think I would be inclined to look for a later model of Mk i (perhaps 2010 onwards) unless a very good deal on Mk ii was available.

Colin

Thanks for the breakdown. Its very helpful.

So yes, i would be doing a lot of walking/hiking with it. It would be my secondary camera/lens on my 6D next to my main rig which would have my 400DO ii + 5d4 when i'm out on wildlife searching outings. I'm basically looking for general purpose lens to use when I'm not shooting telephoto wilidlife ( So i'll be shooting wide angle to 100 mm wildlife if I'm lucky, landscapes along the way, misc stuff etc.)

As for the prices, I'm seeing a $200-$300 (Canadian) in the price difference in the local classifieds between the V1 and V2. At that price I might just be inclined to jump up into the V2 with all of the benefits you mentioned.

In your pixel peeping, was the sharpness pretty equal?

-- hide signature --
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,286

an_also wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

an_also wrote:

What do you guys think?

Colin

Thanks for the breakdown. Its very helpful.

So yes, i would be doing a lot of walking/hiking with it. It would be my secondary camera/lens on my 6D next to my main rig which would have my 400DO ii + 5d4 when i'm out on wildlife searching outings. I'm basically looking for general purpose lens to use when I'm not shooting telephoto wilidlife ( So i'll be shooting wide angle to 100 mm wildlife if I'm lucky, landscapes along the way, misc stuff etc.)

As for the prices, I'm seeing a $200-$300 (Canadian) in the price difference in the local classifieds between the V1 and V2. At that price I might just be inclined to jump up into the V2 with all of the benefits you mentioned.

In your pixel peeping, was the sharpness pretty equal?

At some combinations of FL & aperture the Mk ii was better and sometimes the Mk i was better - the Mk ii had a slight edge.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,537

an_also wrote:

I’m thinking of picking up one of these bad boys in the used market. Then I started reading about the error 1 messages people have gotten with this lens. Is it a wide spread problem? Or should I take a chance...?

Thanks

Mine lasted for about ten years and 20,000 images before the cable broke. It cost a little over $300 (US) to fix about three years ago. It has been working fine since then; however, your concern about how long Canon would be willing to repair the lens is a legitimate one. After all, the original 24-105 was introduced in 2005, but I don't remember when it was officially discontinued. The II version was introduced in 2016.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads