A quick look at Orion.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
cheddarman Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
A quick look at Orion.

-1º but managed a quick look at Orion.

ISO 500 - f4 - 30sec. Bit of tweaking in Photos.

I took 20 images but just couldn't get anything better than this through stacking. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

OP cheddarman Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Re: A quick look at Orion.

cheddarman wrote:

-1º but managed a quick look at Orion.

ISO 500 - f4 - 30sec. Bit of tweaking in Photos.

I took 20 images but just couldn't get anything better than this through stacking. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

OK!! Read a bit of a tutorial on Siril and I think I'm getting the hang of it, certainly an improvement (I think)!

Guido FORRIER Senior Member • Posts: 1,837

i have SIRIL on my computer but did not use it yet . Are you satisfied with this app.? I wil try it with old data , as for now weather is bad and keeps to be bad .

Guido

-- hide signature --

retired pro

Kazmarov Contributing Member • Posts: 886

That's pretty good!

If you wish/ permit, I can post back a version run through Topaz deNoise AI. It is quite effective using the low light AI setting. We remain clouded out in this part of the world & forecast is the same for the rest of the week.

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 +10 more

Guido FORRIER wrote:

i have SIRIL on my computer but did not use it yet . Are you satisfied with this app.? I wil try it with old data , as for now weather is bad and keeps to be bad .

Guido

As a complete beginner at this, I would thoroughly recommend Siril. Make sure you read the on line manual! I just did that, again, and have taken a huge leap forward in processing!

Kazmarov wrote:

That's pretty good!

If you wish/ permit, I can post back a version run through Topaz deNoise AI. It is quite effective using the low light AI setting. We remain clouded out in this part of the world & forecast is the same for the rest of the week.

Please do, I am on a steep learning curve and if it improves my results I'm all for it.

However, having just checked it out following your post, it's way out of my budget so will not be buying! I'll put up with a bit of noise 😁😁

Yup - it's pricey & I too am on that learning curve - the trouble for me it seems to be three steps upward and then I slide down at least two steps worth. 🙁! My son "gifted" Topaz NR to me as a virtual present over a virtual Christmas in December. Here is the result:

Kazmarov wrote:

Yup - it's pricey & I too am on that learning curve - the trouble for me it seems to be three steps upward and then I slide down at least two steps worth. 🙁! My son "gifted" Topaz NR to me as a virtual present over a virtual Christmas in December. Here is the result:

Quite honestly, can't see $100's worth of difference! 🥴

Jeff Wahaus Regular Member • Posts: 361

cheddarman wrote:

Kazmarov wrote:

I haven't found Topaz DeNoise AI to work very well in Astrophotography.  It does a great job with other subjects, especially at high ISO, but it will remove faint stars as you turn up the NR levels.

Jeff Wahaus's gear list:Jeff Wahaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more

Jeff Wahaus wrote:

cheddarman wrote:

Kazmarov wrote:

I haven't found Topaz DeNoise AI to work very well in Astrophotography. It does a great job with other subjects, especially at high ISO, but it will remove faint stars as you turn up the NR levels.

and that's the last thing you want!!

That is a lot! It was 45 US $ before Christmas.

Yes - its not that much of a difference and certainly noise removal has its own problems by blurring some detail & sometimes gobbling up fine or faint objects. Most advice seems to be to use darks (and bias and flats on Cloudynights).

Kazmarov wrote:

That is a lot! It was 45 US $ before Christmas.

Yes - its not that much of a difference and certainly noise removal has its own problems by blurring some detail & sometimes gobbling up fine or faint objects. Most advice seems to be to use darks (and bias and flats on Cloudynights).

Yes, always use darks, ten in this one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads