Looking for X/10/20 thumb rest rubber

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Chris DC Contributing Member • Posts: 503
Looking for X/10/20 thumb rest rubber

Hi All:

I have a Fuji X20 that I bought new and have enjoyed for years, especially when traveling light.  A few years ago, i lost the little rectangular rubber piece that your thumb rests on at the upper right area on the back of the camera.

I have looked high and low over the internet and even visited a large camera store while in Japan with no luck.

If someone here knows where i can source this part I would appreciate it.  I found nothing on the Fuji repair site.

Chris DC

Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,537
Re: Looking for X/10/20 thumb rest rubber

I think this question has been asked before. I seem to remember the result was not very encouraging, even Fujifilm were unable to help. There seems to be a lot of incidents of this being lost so it is clearly a weakness. Some resorted to a homemade fix. Good luck with your search, it spoils the enjoyment of this great camera.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,972

Maybe a few thicknesses of heat shrinkable tubing would do a good job?

Of course, you need to remove the thumb rest from the camera before shrinking that heat shrinkable tubing.

If you don't have a heat gun, you could put the tubing on the thumb rest, and put them both in a kitchen oven set to 200F.  Wait 20 minutes and the tubing will shrink fully.

This tubing is usually available in the electrical department of Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/heat%2520shrink%2520tubing?NCNI-5

You might want to build up a few layers then overcoat with a larger piece.

It is not expensive and it is easy to remove, so you could try this several times until you get something you like.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
OP Chris DC Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Good suggestion.

Thanks.

CDC

Miss tilly

Sorry, I am a bit confused, the O.P. has lost the thumb rest, you suggest removing it, can you clarify, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Yes you are correct.  I am seeking the little rubber pad that serves as a thumb rest on the upper right backside of the camera.  See image below.

I could just put a flat piece of rubber there but would prefer the form fitted piece (which I lost).  I've not been able to locate one anywhere.

Fuji X20.  I am seeking the little rubber thumb rest that sticks to the upper right back of the camera.  The Fuji X-10 uses the same one.  Not sure about the X-30.

If anyone has one or knows where to get one please let me know.

CDC

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,972

Chris DC wrote:

Yes you are correct. I am seeking the little rubber pad that serves as a thumb rest on the upper right backside of the camera. See image below.

I could just put a flat piece of rubber there but would prefer the form fitted piece (which I lost). I've not been able to locate one anywhere.

Fuji X20. I am seeking the little rubber thumb rest that sticks to the upper right back of the camera. The Fuji X-10 uses the same one. Not sure about the X-30.

If anyone has one or knows where to get one please let me know.

CDC

Oops I thought you had an accessory thumb rest and the little piece of rubber on that accessory had gotten lost.  That's why I suggested using shrink tubing.

I see now exactly what you are up against!  Nothing like what I thought, even though you carefully worded your original post.  I guess I am not so good at reading anymore!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more

No Worries!

The camera still works fine, just looks and feels crummy.  I may just glue a flat piece of rubber on the spot but I am hoping someone here might have a better solution.  Maybe a broken camera as  a donor?  Some obscure web site with the rubber bits available, who knows.

CDC

The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

Chris DC wrote:

No Worries!

The camera still works fine, just looks and feels crummy. I may just glue a flat piece of rubber on the spot but I am hoping someone here might have a better solution. Maybe a broken camera as a donor? Some obscure web site with the rubber bits available, who knows.

CDC

Have a look on ebay.  I got an aluminum thumb rest that mounts into the hot shoe,  I love it.  It's very comfortable.  I also got a red aluminum shutter button.  Both make the x10 just a little snazzier looking, and functional.

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more

Yes. I've been thinking about the hot shoe add-on.  Thanks for the reminder.

CDC

prime Senior Member • Posts: 2,396

Chris DC wrote:

A few years ago, i lost the little rectangular rubber piece that your thumb rests on at the upper right area on the back of the camera.

If someone here knows where i can source this part I would appreciate it. I found nothing on the Fuji repair site.

Mine came off (when I was not paying attention) last year, and I was in your situation. It appears that the only connection that had held it onto the camera body was contact cement, as you, also, probably have discerned.

Having had no better luck than you have had to date, I paid a price higher than I should have hoped to pay for this:

Accessory thumb rest for Fujifilm X10 or X20

It works well, but if you want to attach an external flash, for instance, to the hot shoe, you will have to remove it temporarily, which is easy to do non-destructively.

Before I attached the accessory, I covered the exposed area where the original thumb rest had been with a precisely cut piece of Gorilla Tape (which, like the camera itself, is black) to seal the wound against moisture. The circuit would be exposed to the weather otherwise.

Miss tilly

I think, if you can find a flat piece of rubber or leather that you can cut to size that would work well, as you say, it looks and feels awful without the area being covered.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

This is my thumb grip from eBay.  It works great and is very comfortable.

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads