DSRL buying on 2021? Vs mirrorless

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
AM77 Forum Member • Posts: 68
DSRL buying on 2021? Vs mirrorless

I would like to buy a DSLR, moving from:

M4/3 (tricky sensor system)

Rangefinder style body (did not find suitable &comfortable)

Efv (since I couldn't not "fall in love" with it, and often headache)

I would start from this article:

https://digital-photography-school.com/use-a-dslr-in-2020/

Now we can find second hand DSLR's with very good prices.

I do not see any DSLR body style aps-c Mirrorless that has great evf with fully articulated display that can make me to prefer it to a Canon 77D, except maybe x-t200 for the price point (price here is equal to an used 77D).

What do you all think?

Thanks

Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: DSRL buying on 2021? Vs mirrorless

I love DSLRs, but I don't love old Canon sensors with their subpar dynamic range. Personally, I would go with either Nikon or Pentax. Something like a Nikon D5600 or the D7500 or the Pentax KP.

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,303

I do like the Fuji line, just not the lens prices.  In that regard Canon can be a bargain.  Links for various opinions -

New beginner system opinion

Some first observations on using the X-T200

DSLR advice in $500-$1k range

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
OP AM77 Forum Member • Posts: 68

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

I love DSLRs, but I don't love old Canon sensors with their subpar dynamic range. Personally, I would go with either Nikon or Pentax. Something like a Nikon D5600 or the D7500 or the Pentax KP.

Thanks Chelsea,

What do you mean exactly for "subpar DR"?

I want fully articulated display, so for Nikon only d5600 is eligible. Yes, for pure still through VF it might be great choice, but overall 77D and 80D are better cameras.

KCook wrote:

I do like the Fuji line, just not the lens prices. In that regard Canon can be a bargain. Links for various opinions -

New beginner system opinion

Some first observations on using the X-T200

DSLR advice in $500-$1k range

Kelly Cook

Thanks, the second link contributed (together with other reviews) to make my decision more clear and to move most likely to DSLRs

Cato1040
Cato1040 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,967

From the article:

1. DSLRs are much easier to work with in low light

• IMO: Depends
  • Some EVFs get really blurry and grainy in the dark while others literally let you see things you can't see with an OVF

2. You can shoot all day with a DSLR on a single battery

• IMO: generally true
  • Using the eye-level viewfinder, yes, DSLR batteries tend to last longer; however, with the new Z-type batteries, I find Sony cameras can last all day (and more) too
  • Also, these Sony cameras will outlast many DSLRs if people are using the rear screen

3. DSLRs feel much better in your hand

• IMO: subjective
  • I'd agree that larger cameras often feel better in the hand but Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic full-frame mirrorless bodies feel really good too
  • Also, sometimes I prefer a rangefinder-style camera
  • The reduced weight (assuming a good grip) can also make it easier on the hands for long periods of time

4. DSLRs allow you to comfortably view the scene with both eyes open

• IMO: True
  • However, having a blackout-free experience on Sony's high-end cameras that also have super high refresh rates can offset that advantage for those who can afford it

5. DSLRs offer a better lens selection

• IMO: False
  • You can adapt DSLR lenses onto mirrorless cameras
  • 'Better' is subjective. I love the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 largely because of its size and weight, and no DSLR lens can compete with that
  • Also, most of the newest lenses are being created for mirrorless systems only. For example, I think DPreview had the Sony 12-24mm f/2.8 as their lens of the year last year. Money being no issue, it's arguably the best ultrawide-angle zoom lens.

To me, the biggest advantage to DSLRs is the price. Because so many people are selling theirs to move to mirrorless and because there are more older options, their prices in the used market is significantly lower. You can get a really capable full-frame DSLR with the trifecta of f/2.8 zoom lenses for under $2000USD used.

Used, the cheapest full-frame mirrorless kit one can get is probably the Sony A7III with the three Tamron f/2.8 zoom lenses for around $3500USD.

I also think the closest you'll get to a mirrorless Canon 77D is the Fujifilm X-T200 or X-S10.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,303

the closest you'll get to a mirrorless Canon 77D is the Fujifilm X-T200 or X-S10

Possibly.  But the X-S10 is X-Trans while the X-T200 is not.  The feel of handling the Canon vs the Fujis is quite different.  Of course this is a very personal call.  Another APS-C MILC possibility is the Nikon Z50, but it may be slightly over budget here.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85

Cato1040 wrote:

From the article:

1. DSLRs are much easier to work with in low light

• IMO: Depends
  • Some EVFs get really blurry and grainy in the dark while others literally let you see things you can't see with an OVF

2. You can shoot all day with a DSLR on a single battery

• IMO: generally true
  • Using the eye-level viewfinder, yes, DSLR batteries tend to last longer; however, with the new Z-type batteries, I find Sony cameras can last all day (and more) too
  • Also, these Sony cameras will outlast many DSLRs if people are using the rear screen

3. DSLRs feel much better in your hand

• IMO: subjective
  • I'd agree that larger cameras often feel better in the hand but Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic full-frame mirrorless bodies feel really good too
  • Also, sometimes I prefer a rangefinder-style camera
  • The reduced weight (assuming a good grip) can also make it easier on the hands for long periods of time

4. DSLRs allow you to comfortably view the scene with both eyes open

• IMO: True
  • However, having a blackout-free experience on Sony's high-end cameras that also have super high refresh rates can offset that advantage for those who can afford it

5. DSLRs offer a better lens selection

• IMO: False
  • You can adapt DSLR lenses onto mirrorless cameras
  • 'Better' is subjective. I love the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 largely because of its size and weight, and no DSLR lens can compete with that
  • Also, most of the newest lenses are being created for mirrorless systems only. For example, I think DPreview had the Sony 12-24mm f/2.8 as their lens of the year last year. Money being no issue, it's arguably the best ultrawide-angle zoom lens.

To me, the biggest advantage to DSLRs is the price. Because so many people are selling theirs to move to mirrorless and because there are more older options, their prices in the used market is significantly lower. You can get a really capable full-frame DSLR with the trifecta of f/2.8 zoom lenses for under $2000USD used.

Used, the cheapest full-frame mirrorless kit one can get is probably the Sony A7III with the three Tamron f/2.8 zoom lenses for around $3500USD.

I also think the closest you'll get to a mirrorless Canon 77D is the Fujifilm X-T200 or X-S10.

I haven't specified the budget, which is about $ 550-600  only body. That brought me to used DLSR (indeed I agree with you the biggest advantage is the price!): 77D and 80D the finalists,  and a new X-T200 which is in promotion here for about $580.

Said that, your considerations listed above may be agreeable or not, if referred to a generic DSLR category.

But taking into consideration:

• My budget
  • My preference for DSLR body style
  • My preference of fully articulated display
  • My preference for OVF vs average EVF
  • Battery duration

it simply does not exist a Mirrorless that can be chosen versus 77D or 80D.

If it does, please  write it down the model :))

Cato1040

AM77 wrote:

I haven't specified the budget, which is about $ 550-600 only body. That brought me to used DLSR (indeed I agree with you the biggest advantage is the price!): 77D and 80D the finalists, and a new X-T200 which is in promotion here for about $580.

Said that, your considerations listed above may be agreeable or not, if referred to a generic DSLR category.

• My budget

Yup, that's not a small budget, but for the things you want, Canon DSLRs are probably your best bet.

Fuji APS-C mirrorless cameras as a whole are some of the worst bodies with next to not grip at all

Another point for the Canon DSLRs in your budget

Makes sense. I like the what-you-see-is-what-you-get aspect of mirrorless cameras but if you have the skill or are willing to develop the skill of understanding the exposure triangle without live feedback, that can work.

• Battery duration

Fujis don't have great battery life. And I do appreciate how for DSLRs, I can either leave it on all the time, or when I turn it on, it's almost immediately usable.

In a mirrorless APS-C cameras that's current, I don't think so.

If it does, please write it down the model :))

Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 849

AM77 wrote:

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

Thanks Chelsea,

What do you mean exactly for "subpar DR"?

I want fully articulated display, so for Nikon only d5600 is eligible. Yes, for pure still through VF it might be great choice, but overall 77D and 80D are better cameras.

They used to have about 20% less dynamic range or worse... By the time the 77D and 80D came Canon had improved, but not until the R5 and R6 did Canon finally catch up.

The sensors on the 6DII and the RP are still really bad...

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%206D%20Mark%20II,Canon%20EOS%2077D,FujiFilm%20X-T200,Nikon%20D750

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more

Cato1040 wrote:

AM77 wrote:

I haven't specified the budget, which is about $ 550-600 only body. That brought me to used DLSR (indeed I agree with you the biggest advantage is the price!): 77D and 80D the finalists, and a new X-T200 which is in promotion here for about $580.

• My budget

Yup, that's not a small budget, but for the things you want, Canon DSLRs are probably your best bet.

Fuji APS-C mirrorless cameras as a whole are some of the worst bodies with next to not grip at all

Another point for the Canon DSLRs in your budget

Makes sense. I like the what-you-see-is-what-you-get aspect of mirrorless cameras but if you have the skill or are willing to develop the skill of understanding the exposure triangle without live feedback, that can work.

• Battery duration

Fujis don't have great battery life. And I do appreciate how for DSLRs, I can either leave it on all the time, or when I turn it on, it's almost immediately usable.

In a mirrorless APS-C cameras that's current, I don't think so.

If it does, please write it down the model :))

A friend of mine just asked: why don't you out in your basket the Nikon D5600?! I think He is right..…

-- hide signature --

Why don't you think so?

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,366

If you dont like an EVF and want to buy a DSLR, then I say go for it.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Cato1040

AM77 wrote:

A friend of mine just asked: why don't you out in your basket the Nikon D5600?! I think He is right..…

In the DSLR world, I choose Canon in the beginner to advanced level (Canon: XXXXD, XXXD and XXD & Nikon: D3XXX & D5XXX), and Nikon for intermediate to pro-level (Canon XD & Nikon: D7XXX, DXXX, DX).

The reason I'd choose the Canon XXD bodies over the Nikon D5XXX cameras is purely because the Canon ones have 2 control rings. It's pretty crazy Nikon only has one control ring on an 'advanced' body.

If you'd only use auto ISO and either the Auto, P, S, or A modes, then that won't matter as much and the Nikon could be a good option too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads