Birds & BIFs through Sunset and Dusk (1/25/21)

Started 3 months ago | Photos
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,795
Birds & BIFs through Sunset and Dusk (1/25/21)

Picking up right where my last thread left off, the following shots continue a very nice November 21st day of shooting in the wetlands, with this set wrapping up all the way to dusk to end the day.

A mix of wetlands birds, some successful fishing by a heron, and some BIFs as the sun set and disappeared...all of the following shots were taken with the A6600 and FE 200-600mm G OSS and FE 100-400mm GM, and all are posted at 1800 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

First the rest of the shots taken with the 200-600mm lens:

A grey-headed swamphen grasping at a reed to pull it out of the water - these invasive birds only like to eat the root base of the reed, ripping it out to eat that one bit then dropping the rest of the reed in the water to rot

A black-bellied whistling duck bathing

Done with the bath

A male red-winged blackbird hanging out on a branch

A group of black-bellied whistling ducks flying past the trees

And flying off into the cloudy sky

And after heading back to my car to swap lenses for the rest of the evening, as I was shooting past sunset and to dusk, the following were with the 100-400mm lens:

An ibis looking pretty as it stands on a pond apple tree looking around

An osprey flying overhead as the sunset glow casts on him

Always love when you can make out the yellow eyes of the osprey

This great blue heron was walking along these deep water plants when he suddenly plunged down into the grassy waters, coming up with a very nice fish

Great blue herons always catch the largest fish - and have no trouble swallowing them whole

Flying off after finishing his meal

An ibis coming in for a late sunset landing

A pair of ibis flying off against the last glow in the clouds after the sun had set

A wetlands visitor marveling at the huge collection of ibis gathered to roost for the evening.  Hundreds, even thousands, of ibis cover every tree and island in the wetlands at dusk, making it look like snowfall in Florida (ISO 6,400)

Comments, questions, critique always welcomed and encouraged!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,940
Justin,

zackiedawg wrote:

A mix of wetlands birds, some successful fishing by a heron, and some BIFs as the sun set and disappeared...all of the following shots were taken with the A6600 and FE 200-600mm G OSS and FE 100-400mm GM, and all are posted at 1800 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

It's always nice to see what you saw on those days I'm either too busy, or too bored to go out there myself. That's probably why I don't go as often as you do, because I can check my PC once or twice a week and see what was out there just by viewing your posts.

It's been a few weeks since I was there, so I'll try to make it up that way this weekend, hope to see you there if I do go.

Below are my favorite pictures.

The Grey-Headed Swamphen for the colors, sharpness, and background.

The Great Blue Heron because of how it shows the striking power of that big hard beak! It must have taken some serious FPE to penetrate through the scull of that fish.

A grey-headed swamphen grasping at a reed to pull it out of the water - these invasive birds only like to eat the root base of the reed, ripping it out to eat that one bit then dropping the rest of the reed in the water to rot

And after heading back to my car to swap lenses for the rest of the evening, as I was shooting past sunset and to dusk, the following were with the 100-400mm lens:

This great blue heron was walking along these deep water plants when he suddenly plunged down into the grassy waters, coming up with a very nice fish

Great blue herons always catch the largest fish - and have no trouble swallowing them whole

Comments, questions, critique always welcomed and encouraged!

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,795
Snapa,

snapa wrote:

It's always nice to see what you saw on those days I'm either too busy, or too bored to go out there myself. That's probably why I don't go as often as you do, because I can check my PC once or twice a week and see what was out there just by viewing your posts.

I agree - I always enjoy seeing the wildlife others post, whether in the same area or areas I may never visit.  Unfortunately, we're in a lull with posts - very few people posting photos, and very few people commenting/viewing photos.  Winter tends to be like that - hopefully things will wake up again.

It's been a few weeks since I was there, so I'll try to make it up that way this weekend, hope to see you there if I do go.

I decided to head up to Peaceful Waters this past weekend, so this coming weekend I'm planning on Green Cay and Wako only.

Below are my favorite pictures.

The Grey-Headed Swamphen for the colors, sharpness, and background.

The Great Blue Heron because of how it shows the striking power of that big hard beak! It must have taken some serious FPE to penetrate through the scull of that fish.

Many thanks.  Agreed - it's amazing how birds can stab their way into the fish so deep, but even more when you consider he's going right through the skull.  Quite a strike!

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,795
Overflow

Might as well finish off November 21st with the overflow shots from the same shooting day and time...more of the same birds or maybe a few different ones, as usual (for some reason, DPreview puts them in reverse order, so we're starting with the last shot of the day, and backwards from there):

A detail shot of one of the trees showing how many birds are packed in - look far back into the trees and leaves and there are layer after layer of birds

A black-bellied whistling duck flying in golden sunset light

Black-bellied whistling duck making a close pass

Ibis on the hunt at sunset, watching the waters below

Trio of whistling ducks flying past as sunset approached

Continuation of the great blue heron with the fish from the original post - just to show he did indeed eat that whole fish in one gulp!

Another shot of the great blue heron with the fish, trying to pop it off his spear-like bill so he could swallow it

Osprey cruising over

Great blue heron wading along in the shallows - this was while still hunting for a fish

More bathing black-bellied whistling duck

The grey-headed swamphen watching a hawk flying over, making sure it wasn't the type of raptor big enough to come after him!

A paper wasp nest - this was the last of them for the season, almost all the wasps had hatched and flew off - just a few were lingering around

Wading wood stork

Great blue heron down the bank

-- hide signature --

Justin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads