Exceptionally good lens

Started Jan 25, 2021 | User reviews
PeterT4363 New Member • Posts: 5
Exceptionally good lens

I bought this DA * lens from Pentax for a very competitive price on ebay to use it on my K3-II. The lens had been on my wish list for some time. When I was able to buy it with a bid of € 200.00, I immediately took the opportunity.
Until then I used the Pentax DA 16-85 lens. I was very satisfied with that. But now that I use the DA * 16-50 lens, I can see the difference. The photos are really beautiful. The sharpness and detail reproduction is very high. In the middle from f2.8. The sides from f4.0. The color reproduction is also fantastic. The pictures are brilliant. Vivid, sharp and rich in contrast.
No other standard lens for me than this DA * 16-50. I take the size and weight into the bargain. And to be honest, for me the size in combination with the K3-II is no problem. Not even on long hiking trips. More important is the exceptional robustness.

For that reason I have since sold my DA 16-85.
Every reason to save up now for the DA * 50-135 lens

PeterT4363's gear list:PeterT4363's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +1 more
Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM
Zoom lens • Pentax KAF2 • 21650
Announced: Feb 21, 2007
PeterT4363's score
Average community score
edwinD
edwinD Regular Member • Posts: 273
Re: Exceptionally good lens

I agree, I have had this lens for many years and it is on my K5 80% of the time. The SDM quit a few years ago and I converted it to screw drive. That seems that it focuses faster!

Love the lens and get the 50-135, it's awesome.

Have fun

Ed

-- hide signature --

There is no one so lonely as a person without their PENTAX........I said that!
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/edwindukes

edwinD's gear list:edwinD's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) +1 more
kenwklau
kenwklau Contributing Member • Posts: 600

I had very similar experience too.  Soon after getting my copy for about U$300 which I was very happy with, I got my  50-135 for slightly less than U$400 which I an crazy with.  Good luck and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +17 more
anware Regular Member • Posts: 212

There are things I like and dislike about this lens having used them for more than 12 years. For various reasons, I've had no less than four of them and my opinions are based on my experience with all four.

- Weather Sealing.

Dislikes:
- Not as sharp at F2.8 as I would expect.
- The two part zoom barrel design always end up becoming mechanically loose. This results in the front element drooping and severe defocus at one edge of the image.
- Focus ring is not smooth in action and always 'grinds' when turned.

Last year I finally gave up on them and switched to a Sigma 17-50 F2.8. Mechanically it's been far more solid and the sharpness really shows up how soft the Pentax is. I miss the quick shift focus and weather sealing, plus the AF/MF switch always gets moved to MF when I take the camera out of the bag, so you can't win them all.

anware's gear list:anware's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 Mark III Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
kenwklau
kenwklau Contributing Member • Posts: 600

I also have a copy of the Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 which I bought new and before the purchase of my DA*16-50 mm.  Had compared them in door with identical settings of aperture/shutter speed/iso and found the Sigma to be :

- sharper at the edges when wide open at F2.8, more so at the wide end

- focus slightly quicker and surer

- much darker, about 1/2 stop making it more like a F/3.2 than F/2.8 lens

- 1mm less wide which is quite noticeable

- zoom in the wrong direction that is opposite to Pentax lenses

- flare resistance considerably worse than smc lenses

- unattractive sunstars compared the sharp and clear ends of Pentax sunstars

- colors are a bit bland

- no weather resistance

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads