Thinking about upgrading to the A77 ii from the A77, but...

Started Jan 25, 2021 | Discussions
Rambler358
Rambler358 Senior Member • Posts: 1,551
Thinking about upgrading to the A77 ii from the A77, but...

I currently have the A77 with some nice lenses (16-50 kit lens and 70-300G as my mains), but I've been thinking about upgrading to the A77 ii for the better AF performance and JPG improvements, but would miss the GPS.

But I'm also in a dilemma about just selling my Sony gear and lenses and getting the Sony RX10 IV bridge camera for the portability, and do just about everything factor. The thing that's holding me back is the image quality being not quite as good. I'm getting older, and don't want to have to lug around a heavy bag of lenses. The RX10 IV has some compelling reasons to get it, yet I know my current gear is very good, and upgrading to the A77 ii would improve that some.

Maybe I'm just looking for what others have done in my situation.  Unfortunately, I can't afford to have both otherwise it'd pretty much be a no-brainer just to also get the RX10.

But back to my topic question - I like shooting wildlife, BIF, events, air shows and family stuff.  Would the A77 ii's better AF help in those situations?

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

Rambler358's gear list:Rambler358's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Sony a77 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lelly Contributing Member • Posts: 514
Re: Thinking about upgrading to the A77 ii from the A77, but...

Hiya. I moved to the A77ii a few years ago after my venerable A55 died and love the camera. I don't miss the GPS option as I can always map the locations with my  smartphone/portable or car GPS and add the location data to the image later.

I can't say that you will get far better images than with the A77, it depends on many factors but I frequently use the focus tracking on my A77ii to great effect. For lower light situations the MFNR comes in handy where 6 images can be stacked to improve quality with higher ISO. Having auto ISO can also be handy, this was not available on the A55 at least!, where a range can be set. However, the camera tends to choose the highest ISO setting of the range that can degrade image quality. if that is what you are after. (Often it is great to capture the moment no matter what the image quality!!).

I also sympathise with the thought of lugging heavy gear about. Compromises all round eh? Lighter gear often equals decreased image quality. But at least you still get the images. (When I finally find a 100-600mm Tamron super zoom I'll definitely carry it around on a trolley!!)

The A77ii also has the inbuilt flash, regularly used, and the instant landscape function that I find popular. These capabilities seem to be missing on the E-mounts and some other Sony cameras.

Good luck.

Lelly's gear list:Lelly's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 (B023) +3 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,808

Rambler358 wrote:

Maybe I'm just looking for what others have done in my situation.

For what it's worth:

I've stayed with the A77, which is now my only A-mount body, and a pretty wide selection of lenses and accessories for it. I do very little low light or fast action shooting, so there are no plans for a newer body.

Regarding the RX10IV you mentioned, I never felt an RX10 type of camera was right for me, but I do have two 1" sensor cameras: an RX100III and a Nikon V3 with several lenses. Those cameras handle most of what I do now, and I'm fine with the quality of their output. There's nothing I really 'need' the A-mount stuff for, but I still like having it for special purposes. One of these days I might change my mind about that.

toni
toni Senior Member • Posts: 1,659

Rambler358 wrote:

I currently have the A77 with some nice lenses (16-50 kit lens and 70-300G as my mains), but I've been thinking about upgrading to the A77 ii for the better AF performance and JPG improvements, but would miss the GPS.

If your after better AF the a77ii is the best APSC A-mount  camera you can get. The lack of inbody GPS can be dealth with.

Personally I use a dedicated pocket size gps tracker that can handle 24+ hours (or more with a small powerbank), that I throw in my camera bag. This has the added advantage of being able to keep the same workflow independent of the camera I use. Normally I take 2 cameras (one digital, one film - minolta 7 or 9) and sync gps coordinates based on capture time.

-- hide signature --
 toni's gear list:toni's gear list
Sony a99 II
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 20,008

I had the A-77.  After about 70k clicks, the LDC stopped functioning.  I purchased the A-68.  I'm now on my 2nd A-68 after dropping the first in a creek.

The A-68 is a better camera in most respects.  Thus, I think you'd find the A-77II to be a significant improvement over the A-77.  I wish Sony hadn't discontinued these (A-68 and A-77II).  I'd still buy another A-68 if one was available.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Rambler358
OP Rambler358 Senior Member • Posts: 1,551

Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I've decided to trade-in my A77 body for an A77ii.  After reading more about the RX10 IV, I think I may have issues when not being able to zoom with an AF lock, and I'd probably get frustrated having to deal with a motorized zoom instead of a zoom ring on the lens . Also, IQ is important to me, and there are work-arounds for getting GPS info - and I'm sure working out more to carry this stuff can only lengthen my longevity. 

The A-68 is a better camera in most respects. Thus, I think you'd find the A-77II to be a significant improvement over the A-77. I wish Sony hadn't discontinued these (A-68 and A-77II). I'd still buy another A-68 if one was available.

Hi Ed - I just checked Sony's (USA) site, and the A68 and A77ii models are still current models and can be bought there.  I also
Sony Interchangeable Lens Cameras

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
robberfly12 Junior Member • Posts: 35

Rambler358 wrote:

The A-68 is a better camera in most respects. Thus, I think you'd find the A-77II to be a significant improvement over the A-77. I wish Sony hadn't discontinued these (A-68 and A-77II). I'd still buy another A-68 if one was available.

Hi Ed - I just checked Sony's (USA) site, and the A68 and A77ii models are still current models and can be bought there. I also

If you actually select an A68 or A77ii there, and click through the links, you'll find that the only available configuration is an A77ii w/Sony 16-50 at Crutchfield for $1798. All configurations listed on the Sony site for the A68 unfortunately lead nowhere.

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 20,008

Rambler358 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I've decided to trade-in my A77 body for an A77ii. After reading more about the RX10 IV, I think I may have issues when not being able to zoom with an AF lock, and I'd probably get frustrated having to deal with a motorized zoom instead of a zoom ring on the lens . Also, IQ is important to me, and there are work-arounds for getting GPS info - and I'm sure working out more to carry this stuff can only lengthen my longevity.

Hi Ed - I just checked Sony's (USA) site, and the A68 and A77ii models are still current models and can be bought there. I also

Robberfly12 is correct. The A-68 hasn't been available for a few months

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Rambler358

robberfly12 wrote:

Rambler358 wrote:

If you actually select an A68 or A77ii there, and click through the links, you'll find that the only available configuration is an A77ii w/Sony 16-50 at Crutchfield for $1798. All configurations listed on the Sony site for the A68 unfortunately lead nowhere.

Sorry - I didn’t bother to check that far. Looks like Sony really is slowly killing off the A-mount.  I wonder how long the A99 will be around for.  At any rate, I can see now why people are moving away from Sony.  If only Sony could make an FE-mount camera look like a real DSLR.  Se la vie...

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

ElGhuraify Junior Member • Posts: 43

Rambler358 wrote:

robberfly12 wrote:

Rambler358 wrote:

Sorry - I didn’t bother to check that far. Looks like Sony really is slowly killing off the A-mount. I wonder how long the A99 will be around for. At any rate, I can see now why people are moving away from Sony. If only Sony could make an FE-mount camera look like a real DSLR. Se la vie...

As a previous owner of both A77 & A77II, I will say that the upgrade is worth it  (except for GPS). AF, DR and overall IQ is better. However, I would advice against trading in for a new A77II, try finding a mint one in the secondhand market.

For the price of a new one, you could get a brand new A7III, in which case is way better than A77II. I still prefer the ergonomics and handling of the A77II over any E-mount camera, but that is the trade off for getting a highly superior camera. I pulled the trigger on an A7III with a great price and oh my, what an upgrade.

Again, look for a used A77II that will be cheaper. Invest in E-mount if your budget is around 1800$

ElGhuraify's gear list:ElGhuraify's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Rambler358

Yes, the plan was to trade in for a used A77ii body. Though my A77’s current shutter count is 2103, and I haven’t been able to find a used A77ii body with less than 10k exposures. But I guess that’s to be expected.

And my budget is basically trading in or selling existing gear to get the A77ii. If I sold ALL my current gear I might be able to get an A7iii, but then that would maybe only get me a kit lens, and I’d be out of funds for anything else.

I’m now I’m trying to decide if it’s still worth it to “upgrade” to a used A77ii, or just keep my existing A77 and sell some of my current lenses to get another lens that I want. Man, these decisions are hard!

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

ElGhuraify Junior Member • Posts: 43

Rambler358 wrote:

Yes, the plan was to trade in for a used A77ii body. Though my A77’s current shutter count is 2103, and I haven’t been able to find a used A77ii body with less than 10k exposures. But I guess that’s to be expected.

And my budget is basically trading in or selling existing gear to get the A77ii. If I sold ALL my current gear I might be able to get an A7iii, but then that would maybe only get me a kit lens, and I’d be out of funds for anything else.

I’m now I’m trying to decide if it’s still worth it to “upgrade” to a used A77ii, or just keep my existing A77 and sell some of my current lenses to get another lens that I want. Man, these decisions are hard!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4544393

Check this one if its still available, you could negotiate and see if the seller accepting any offers. For the price of body + lens and two batteries, it is a decent deal.

Or just keep using your current gear and save money to buy an A7III (The specs will serve you for many years ahead). Try renting one as they will drop in price soon once the new A74 released.

Just rent both of them and see.

ElGhuraify's gear list:ElGhuraify's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,421

Rambler358 wrote:

How much are you going to get from trading in your A77? My A77 was stolen a few months ago and I would be interested in purchasing another if I could swing the price on my meager photography budget.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
Rambler358

MikeInOr wrote:

Rambler358 wrote:

How much are you going to get from trading in your A77? My A77 was stolen a few months ago and I would be interested in purchasing another if I could swing the price on my meager photography budget.

Well, the online buying places are basically giving me chump change for it.  If I could sell the body, vertical grip and 16-50 SSM lens for $800 I’d go for it.  But anything less and it’s just not worth it to me.  It has a shutter count of less than 2,300, and all in mint condition.

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

samfieldhouse New Member • Posts: 13

Well, I've just 'upgraded' to an original A77, specifically because I want GPS. Coming from an A350 I'm blown away by the quality of the images - 'even' the JPEG output.

My everyday lens is the not insubstantial Sigma 24-105 and I was worried about the weight. However, I've fundamentally changed how I carry my camera with the use of a sling strap and Peak Design clip, which have totally negated any worries I had about weight and portability.

I guess 'upgrades' are all relative.

Gand-Alf Forum Member • Posts: 52

Rambler358,

Amazon is supposed to have the Sony A77ii in stock by February 15.  If you want something new, that would be a good option.  I have the Sony A7iii and it takes good pictures but if you like holding the Sony A77 series in your hands, you might be disappointed in the new A7 E-mount series cameras.

Gandalf

Rambler358 wrote:

Rambler358

Gand-Alf wrote:

Rambler358,

Amazon is supposed to have the Sony A77ii in stock by February 15. If you want something new, that would be a good option. I have the Sony A7iii and it takes good pictures but if you like holding the Sony A77 series in your hands, you might be disappointed in the new A7 E-mount series cameras.

Gandalf

Thanks. I did recently get a chance to hold a A7 Iii, and I wasn’t impressed with the body design compared to the A77.  Although I’d like to upgrade to an A77 ii, I’m not able to afford it at this point. So I’m keeping my current A77 for a bit, and just getting some accessories for it that I’ve wanted for a while.  And I do like having the GPS capability of the A77, as I do travel some.

Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,322

As an owner of an A77 MkII who previously owned the A77, my recommendation is: Save your money. More here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63140887

I think an A6400 (or even an A6000) with an LA-EA5 adaptor will probably be a more useful camera and will produce better images, ergonomics aside.

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
Rambler358

Prognathous wrote:

As an owner of an A77 MkII who previously owned the A77, my recommendation is: Save your money. More here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63140887

I think an A6400 (or even an A6000) with an LA-EA5 adaptor will probably be a more useful camera and will produce better images, ergonomics aside.

Thanks for the insight. I just don’t like the A6xxx series bodies. I think the new A1 is very nice, but WAY out of what I can afford. The A9 is also nice, but still out of my price range. And I’d love an A99 ii, but again...

So I’ve decided to stick with my A77 for a while, or until I win the lottery.

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

LowRyter Contributing Member • Posts: 866

Rambler358 wrote:

Gand-Alf wrote:

Rambler358,

Amazon is supposed to have the Sony A77ii in stock by February 15. If you want something new, that would be a good option. I have the Sony A7iii and it takes good pictures but if you like holding the Sony A77 series in your hands, you might be disappointed in the new A7 E-mount series cameras.

Gandalf

Thanks. I did recently get a chance to hold a A7 Iii, and I wasn’t impressed with the body design compared to the A77. Although I’d like to upgrade to an A77 ii, I’m not able to afford it at this point. So I’m keeping my current A77 for a bit, and just getting some accessories for it that I’ve wanted for a while. And I do like having the GPS capability of the A77, as I do travel some.

Check eBay and some of the used sites. I upgraded to an A77ii for $650 after the card stuck in my A57. I found mine in S Korea, perhaps it was demo model? Anyway less than 10000 shots and like new condition. Int'l model. Didn't expect a warranty.

Keep checking and you might find a deal.

LowRyter's gear list:LowRyter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads