Using RAW Images in Apple's Photos Software

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
grcolts Veteran Member • Posts: 3,452
Using RAW Images in Apple's Photos Software

I have mainly used jpegs when using Apple Photos software and have not had any problems. However, I decided to upload some RAW files to see how they worked with Photos. Even though my camera is listed with Apple OS the program did not do well with my RAWS. It became sluggish and would eventually lock up when trying to process a RAW file. I finally gave up.  Who else has experienced this when trying to process RAW files in Photos?

Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,361
Re: Using RAW Images in Apple's Photos Software

grcolts wrote:

I have mainly used jpegs when using Apple Photos software and have not had any problems. However, I decided to upload some RAW files to see how they worked with Photos. Even though my camera is listed with Apple OS the program did not do well with my RAWS. It became sluggish and would eventually lock up when trying to process a RAW file. I finally gave up. Who else has experienced this when trying to process RAW files in Photos?

Has been fine here with various camera Raws, but this is the recommended Raw editor by many:

https://www.gentlemencoders.com/about/

It works seamlessly as an extension to Photos, both on desktop and mobile devices.

Also have a look at Pixelmator, powerful, but not as seamless in integration as Raw Power. And Affinity Photo, very powerful indeed, although more akin to Photoshop, it needs some workarounds to work with Photos, and creates huge files if you try to work non-destructive.

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
klondiker
klondiker Regular Member • Posts: 360

I have no problems with using Photos Edit for processing Sony's raw files, however Raw Power gives me better results.  I also use Affinity for some post processing.  Both work seamlessly within Photos.  My cataloging is done there as well without complains.  all in all, I'm very happy with this combination: Apple Photos - Raw Power - Affinity and am not planning to look for greener pasture.

Early morning on Prospect Lake

gregn

klondiker's gear list:klondiker's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony a6300 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,897

I don't often bother with raw files in Photos, usually I only put the jpegs in there. But when I have, I have not had any problems.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
klondiker
klondiker Regular Member • Posts: 360

Barry Twycross wrote:

I don't often bother with raw files in Photos, usually I only put the jpegs in there. But when I have, I have not had any problems.

I was doing the same for quite same time.  Apple photos edit is a very simple and fairly effective software.  Also, it did not intimidated me.  But at one point, after some experimenting with other programs I'm on the trail of no return.  The results are simply better.  At the present RAW POWER is the one for raw files, but I promise myself to learn Affinity as well to the extend that I can compare finished products.

Tiny flower of Jerusalem Cherry.  It will become a small "orange" later on.

-- hide signature --

gregn

klondiker's gear list:klondiker's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony a6300 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
Brian OReilly Contributing Member • Posts: 698

Hi there

Can you tell us:

Which Mac are you using?

What version of the Mac OS are you using?

Which exact camera model are you using to generate the RAW files?

All these may have a bearing on the issue you are having - very big RAW files on a 'slower' Mac on an older version of the OS...

Best regards

Brian

OP grcolts Veteran Member • Posts: 3,452

Brian OReilly wrote:

Hi there

Can you tell us:

Which Mac are you using?

What version of the Mac OS are you using?

Which exact camera model are you using to generate the RAW files?

All these may have a bearing on the issue you are having - very big RAW files on a 'slower' Mac on an older version of the OS...

Best regards

Brian

My Mac is an older one from 2011 so I cannot use some of the newer software such as has been suggested. I am using OS High Sierra's newest version.  The RAW files I am trying to use are ovf Olympus files. I have an Olympus OM-d-e-10, EPL-7 and a Panasonic G9. Like I said no problem with jpegs only the raws.  I have been researching the new M1 computers but am seeing some software problems. Seems like some do not play well with either the new chips or the Mac OS Mojave or Catalina?  My guess is that my older computer just does not play well with larger files.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 16,288

klondiker wrote:

I have no problems with using Photos Edit for processing Sony's raw files, however Raw Power gives me better results. I also use Affinity for some post processing. Both work seamlessly within Photos. My cataloging is done there as well without complains. all in all, I'm very happy with this combination: Apple Photos - Raw Power - Affinity and am not planning to look for greener pasture.

Early morning on Prospect Lake

gregn

Yikes! It looks like, somewhere along the line, some piece of software has done Unsharp Mask with radius 10 or more.

Sorry, I have nothing helpful to say about Apple Photos. I use DxO PhotoLab for Raw editing.

Ron Outdoors Contributing Member • Posts: 974

grcolts wrote:

I have mainly used jpegs when using Apple Photos software and have not had any problems. However, I decided to upload some RAW files to see how they worked with Photos. Even though my camera is listed with Apple OS the program did not do well with my RAWS. It became sluggish and would eventually lock up when trying to process a RAW file. I finally gave up. Who else has experienced this when trying to process RAW files in Photos?

The editing of the 62mb raw files from my Sony camera are sluggish in Photos, on a Mac Pro. Don't notice as much of an editing delay with PSE. Don't recall a lock up. Smaller files from another camera go much quicker.

Had all kinds of problems with the big files in Photos using my MacBook Air. It really struggles, especially when the photos are first transferred. And saved files sometimes get corrupted. I only use Photos with the Air when I have to, on vacation.

-- hide signature --

www.ronhartman.net

Ron Outdoors's gear list:Ron Outdoors's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
CAcreeks

Ron Outdoors wrote:

The editing of the 62mb [60.2Mp?] raw files from my Sony camera are sluggish in Photos, on a Mac Pro. Don't notice as much of an editing delay with PSE. Don't recall a lock up. Smaller files from another camera go much quicker.

Had all kinds of problems with the big files in Photos using my MacBook Air. It really struggles, especially when the photos are first transferred. And saved files sometimes get corrupted. I only use Photos with the Air when I have to, on vacation.

With DxO PhotoLab on minimal M1 Macbook Air (8GB memory 256GB storage) this ARW displayed almost instantly, and took 7 seconds to JPEG convert, or 45 seconds with Deep PRIME = 10, which isn't really needed at ISO 125, but reduces size. From DPreview A7R IV gallery.

a bit more saturated than o-o-c JPEG

Brian OReilly Contributing Member • Posts: 698

So sorry - I cannot assist as your description of "My Mac is an older one from 2011" is a bit fuzzy.

It could be a fully loaded MacPro or a modest Mac Mini - you really haven't given enough info - help us to help you...

Hope someone else can assist

Brian

Brian OReilly wrote:

So sorry - I cannot assist as your description of "My Mac is an older one from 2011" is a bit fuzzy.

It could be a fully loaded MacPro or a modest Mac Mini - you really haven't given enough info - help us to help you...

Brian

It is an IMAC mid-2011 model running HighSierra OS. Plus, I have 12mb memory.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,104

grcolts wrote:

Brian OReilly wrote:

Brian

That's pretty much the answer.

It's old, slow, and processing raw takes more effort than a JPEG. Those Oly raws aren't particularly big, but that is particularly old software and hardware.

CAcreeks

robgendreau wrote:

grcolts wrote:

Brian OReilly wrote:

Brian

It's old, slow, and processing raw takes more effort than a JPEG. Those Oly raws aren't particularly big, but that is particularly old software and hardware.

Probably 12GB. If the CPU is Core i5-2500S, benchmark = 3404 Passmark. Not awful.

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp623?locale=en_US

I suggest trying RawPower, claimed to be the most efficient Raw converter for MacOS. However I think it would require upgrade to Mojave 10.14 from High Sierra.

https://www.gentlemencoders.com/raw-power-for-mac-trial/

Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,361

CAcreeks wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

grcolts wrote:

Brian OReilly wrote:

Brian

Probably 12GB. If the CPU is Core i5-2500S, benchmark = 3404 Passmark. Not awful.

I suggest trying RawPower, claimed to be the most efficient Raw converter for MacOS. However I think it would require upgrade to Mojave 10.14 from High Sierra.

Looking at Geekbench it's not a million miles off my old iMac Late 2013 27" (i5).

Most photo apps have run fairly well on this one, albeit some things are probably sluggish now, but it can manage my Nikon D5300 14-bit Raws (up to 29MB each) without any delay. I'd have thought that slightly older model would only be a little slower.

FWIW, I used to edit Raws on a PowerMac G5, which was also fine, as was a 2007 MacBook and a 2009 Mini. All my Macs have had 16GB of RAM though.

I wouldn't expect it to be as bad as locking up if the apps run at all, just slower than a newer machine (as long as the apps will run of course).

Perhaps see if you have other issues. I did have a few problems a while back (three or four years perhaps) with Finder and various apps locking up, and crashing, which turned out to be dying external hard drives. The system will try to work around any bad sectors, and it can cause awful freezes while it attempts to sort them.

I replaced the hard drives, and installed DriveDX to keep an eye on the SMART data, which has detected a few more pending failures since, and so far I've not seen the same issues again.

It's also worth checking any USB cables, hubs and devices, and drive enclosures etc.

But yeah, Raw Power is a good thing to get anyway, as is FastRawViewer for initial culling and tagging etc.

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more

CAcreeks wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

grcolts wrote:

Brian OReilly wrote:

Brian

I checked on RawPower and it does require Mojave which on my older computer will not work.

Re: Using RAW Images in Apple's Photos Software-Thanks Everyone

Just a quick thanks to all who gave me input. Sounds like I will need to upgrade my computer when funds permit.

CAcreeks

grcolts wrote:

I checked on RawPower and it does require Mojave which on my older computer will not work.

RawPower documentation mentions High Sierra, so it might work anyway.

Also you might try asking them for an older version before they dropped High Sierra support.

CAcreeks wrote:

grcolts wrote:

RawPower documentation mentions High Sierra, so it might work anyway.

Also you might try asking them for an older version before they dropped High Sierra support.

Thanks for the update. It is appreciated.

Paul_R_H Senior Member • Posts: 1,015
Re: Using RAW Images in Apple's Photos Software-Thanks Everyone

Some older iMacs can accept a change from a spinning HD to SSD. There are good tutorials on iFixit. It made a really big difference to RAW processing on mine.

I eventually bought an iMac about eight years newer, but it has a fusion drive and still struggled on RAW processing if the files are on that fusion drive. But it does have USB 3.1, so I have all my RAWs on an external SSD and it processes them much faster than if I use the internal drive.

Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads