Fuji X-T2 "Still Relevant in 2021"

Started 3 months ago | User reviews
JackEtweather
JackEtweather Junior Member • Posts: 37
Fuji X-T2 "Still Relevant in 2021"

- as some YouTubers would put it. I had "moved up" from the X-T2 to the X-H1 – which, in turn, I sold in order to help defray the purchase of the X-T4. It became apparent that I needed another body to take to work with me to use at my product-photography job, as a sort of "beater" for that purpose, but which I could also rely upon as a back-up to the X-T4 or use as a second camera in shooting video. I found one in great condition for $600, tax and shipping included (Roberts/UsedProPhoto absolutely rocks).

Between the X-T2 and the X-T4, the X-T3 seems redundant. One wants to ask it, "Why are you still hanging around at new-retail price, when the X-H1 was treated like a foster kid?" Compared with the X-T4, the X-T2 is "lacking" some features, but for how I'm using the latter, they're either not missed or I can work around them (i.e., 1/50 shutter speed, not 1/48, for 24fps video; I know what I'm in for with the smaller-capacity battery; the situation allows incomplete redundancy between the two SD cards).

There is one glaring preference that I have of the X-T2 over the X-T4: the two-way tilting screen, instead of the "flippy" screen. The X-T2's screen configuration is so much more appropriate for product photography and for candid shooting. The X-T4's "flippy" screen is prone to breakage at the joint (ever worked in camera repair?) and is unwieldy and cumbersome, taking too long to set for a shot in some cases. That Fuji had let the vocal minority of vloggers dictate product design was stupid, flouting their own ingenuity demonstrated in the design of the two-way tilting screen on previous models. The narcissism of people who just have to capture images of themselves – or, just of YouTubers in general – should not be enabled. (Suggestion to camera manufacturers: modular, replaceable screen assemblies of different configurations.)

To me , the X-T2 was Fuji's "sweet-spot" camera. There doesn't seem anything awkwardly intermediary or developmental about it, as opposed to the X-H1, X-T3, or even the X-T4 (which I hope gets upgraded by firmware in ways that I'd like).

JackEtweather's gear list:JackEtweather's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II +4 more
Fujifilm X-T2
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Jul 7, 2016
JackEtweather's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
mediocre
Action / sports
bad
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lexvo Regular Member • Posts: 408
Re: Fuji X-T2 "Still Relevant in 2021"

I don't do video and shoot AF-S 99% of the time. Those were the reasons I didn't upgrade from my X-T2 to the X-T3. The X-T4 has IBIS as an interesting feature for me and probable some others as well, but I don't feel like spending $$$ as the X-T2 still suits me well.

lexvo's gear list:lexvo's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,347

I bought an X-T2 last summer and it's an awesome camera. Much more relevant to my needs that an X-T3 or 4. I considered both and felt all the "improvements" either didn't matter much or would be an active impediment to the way I like to work. It really seems to hit that sweet spot for me.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
TonyGN10 Regular Member • Posts: 393

Love my X-T2 - tempted by X-T4 IBIS - but not succumbed...yet!!

Seriously, it is a great camera. When I feel the need for IBIS, I whack up the ISO a bit.

Glass is a bigger priority for me.

TonyGN10's gear list:TonyGN10's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Phase One Capture One Pro +3 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 13,683
X-T2 is a beast of a camera

Great workhorse - extremely adaptable, and great image quality.

Mine has been well used!

No issues doing a double page magazine spread from the X-T2.

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more
mandodon Forum Member • Posts: 51

I'm very happy with my X-T2, my only Fuji body. I'll be keeping it till it doesn't work any more. Such a pleasure to use.

mandodon's gear list:mandodon's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,419
Re: X-T2 is a beast of a camera

Chris Dodkin wrote:

Great workhorse - extremely adaptable, and great image quality.

Mine has been well used!

No issues doing a double page magazine spread from the X-T2.

Man, never mind the X-T2...... I couldn't use any camera in this setting........ 

Best, AIK  

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 13,683

Antal, it's just work for everyone, and everyone is professional.

If it looks hot, then that's good because that is the intention of model, photographer and stylist.

But the seconds either side of the hot look are people moving arms and legs to look better, changing lighting and reflectors, pulling creases out of clothing - anything but hot in fact. 

The trust bond between everyone in the room is reflected in the final image - that's what helps generate a great look.

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more
Remcodb
Remcodb Forum Member • Posts: 94

The real sweet spot is the X-T3

Same dream-screen, faster chip and slightly improved sensor. (latest firmwares not to forget!).

A screen that flips up when holding the camera in portrait orientation is the greatest gift in camera design for a landscaper that makes wide-angled, low-to-the-ground, tripod-mounted shots.

If I had the XT2 I probably would treat it as a sweet spot also,  no need for immediate upgrade.

Fallen Clouds

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Remco
www.remcodenboer.com
www.flikr.com/remco_db
www.instragram.com/remco_db

Remcodb's gear list:Remcodb's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +6 more
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,419

Chris Dodkin wrote:

Antal, it's just work for everyone, and everyone is professional.

If it looks hot, then that's good because that is the intention of model, photographer and stylist.

But the seconds either side of the hot look are people moving arms and legs to look better, changing lighting and reflectors, pulling creases out of clothing - anything but hot in fact.

The trust bond between everyone in the room is reflected in the final image - that's what helps generate a great look.

I know it Chris, I had my almost five decades in the trenches........ , including some along your sample image. I just never miss "being funny"............  Although my wife says that hardly anyone gets my humour.........

Best regards, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
JackEtweather
OP JackEtweather Junior Member • Posts: 37

Thanks for the stunning landscape photo.

Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II +4 more
JackEtweather
OP JackEtweather Junior Member • Posts: 37

Dang! Incredible shot.

Emile Dorkheim Regular Member • Posts: 163

I love my X-T2 so much. As it stands, the only reason I can see for upgrading it is if it breaks. I've already broken the screen a bit, so I'm on my way! I just hope that when the time comes to update, Fuji offer something that is essentially identical to the X-T2 in terms of controls and screen.

I think a used X-T2 represents incredible value, I'd recommend it to anyone starting photography.

Emile Dorkheim's gear list:Emile Dorkheim's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +4 more
Papegoye Forum Member • Posts: 87

I love my X-T30 to death, but I'm afraid to bring it to hikes because of no WR. I've been considering a used X-T2 or X-T3 to complement it and these posts are not making it easier to resist

mandodon Forum Member • Posts: 51

Thanks, Jack. That's my back yard, and that big old dead tree fell last week. Just doesn't look the same. Will have a lot of firewood, though.

mandodon's gear list:mandodon's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
BadExample Regular Member • Posts: 169

Papegoye wrote:

I love my X-T30 to death, but I'm afraid to bring it to hikes because of no WR. I've been considering a used X-T2 or X-T3 to complement it and these posts are not making it easier to resist

https://usedphotopro.com/products/usedcameras/used-mirrorless-system?manufacturer=5928

Grab one. Great people, great prices, 6 month warranty. I just snagged an X-H1 like new for a great price.

BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,926

I still love mine.  It's one of those break-out instant-classic cameras like the Canon 5D or Nikon D700 that'll still be great to shoot a few years from now.

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +42 more
Tokyo_in_Pics
Tokyo_in_Pics Regular Member • Posts: 151

I bought my X-T2 in 2017 and it is still going strong.  Currently, I'm shooting a lot of basketball and futsal with it with no problems.  From March I'll be doing cricket and rugby too.  Granted, it could do with some fast longer lenses, but it's doing the job for me at this point in time.  It is still an amazing camera.

-- hide signature --

I live in Tokyo, one of the greatest cities in the world

Tokyo_in_Pics's gear list:Tokyo_in_Pics's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 728

Man, I'm with 'Remco' on this one.  I really think for the price, at the moment, that the X-T3 is the 'relevant' one.  I had two X-T2's, and yes they are great cameras.  I sold them about 2 years ago and updated to two X-H1's, which I really love and still use all the time.  However, when I recently bought a mint 16 1.4, the H-1's couldn't 'cut the mustard' for focusing on fast moving objects, with that older lens.

I was forced to upgrade just so I could focus properly with the 1.4 lens.  Prices here in Australia on 'Fleabay' for used X-T2 are still around 900 -1200 dollars.  I got a brand new X-T3 (with Fuji rebate and Boxing day specials) for 1,300 and something dollars.  The X-T3 has a real sweet spot - smaller than my H-1's, blazing fast autofocus like the T4 (and no goofy screen like the T4), and the same new backlit sensor.  All of this for not much more than a used T2.  Go figure guys!

Sutto

deepsun
deepsun Forum Member • Posts: 52

I just bought another used X-T2 for similar reasons. Mostly I shoot travel/landscape stuff with either plenty of light or a tripod, so IBIS hasn't intrigued me. And between the X-T2 and X-T3 I was happy to save money on the X-T2 because I've always been pleased with what it can do.

deepsun's gear list:deepsun's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads