Focusable LCD?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Clickalot
Clickalot Contributing Member • Posts: 581
Focusable LCD?

Has anyone ever heard of such? I suppose it would have to be a moveable flat lens (fresnel?) the same size as the LCD.

I'd love to use my LCD for indoor pix but without 3X readers it's just moosh to me so I rely exclusively on my diopter-adjustable EVF.

I despise the inevitable Crisco applique to which LCDs are subject but they're easier to clean than EVF eyepieces.

-- hide signature --

On a Planet of Eight Billion, We're In a Pretty Nice Bubble.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,687
Yhou can get flat fresnel lenses in hobby shops

a lot are used for needlework.  you should be able to create something to hold it at your usual working distance.  There are also loupe magnifiers.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
Clickalot
OP Clickalot Contributing Member • Posts: 581
Re: Yhou can get flat fresnel lenses in hobby shops

Thanks for the needlework reference! I shall hunt.

I have a hood/loupe already but the lens is execrable.

-- hide signature --

On a Planet of Eight Billion, We're In a Pretty Nice Bubble.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,315
Re: Focusable LCD?

Clickalot wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of such? I suppose it would have to be a moveable flat lens (fresnel?) the same size as the LCD.

I'd love to use my LCD for indoor pix but without 3X readers it's just moosh to me so I rely exclusively on my diopter-adjustable EVF.

I despise the inevitable Crisco applique to which LCDs are subject but they're easier to clean than EVF eyepieces.

Any magnification device like a Fresnel that sits on the LCD can not possibly show you the entire frame; it can only magnify a small part of the LCD, and not with any kind of visual quality.

What you probably want is a loupe device that attaches to the LCD, and magnifies the entire frame.  They can be stuck-on or held in place by a bracket.  They may interfere with access with camera buttons that are very close to the LCD.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 28,218
Re: Focusable LCD?

John Sheehy wrote:

Clickalot wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of such? I suppose it would have to be a moveable flat lens (fresnel?) the same size as the LCD.

I'd love to use my LCD for indoor pix but without 3X readers it's just moosh to me so I rely exclusively on my diopter-adjustable EVF.

I despise the inevitable Crisco applique to which LCDs are subject but they're easier to clean than EVF eyepieces.

Any magnification device like a Fresnel that sits on the LCD can not possibly show you the entire frame; it can only magnify a small part of the LCD, and not with any kind of visual quality.

What you probably want is a loupe device that attaches to the LCD, and magnifies the entire frame. They can be stuck-on or held in place by a bracket. They may interfere with access with camera buttons that are very close to the LCD.

The loupes with cheap plastic lenses are useless. The Hoodman loupe has a proper glass lens with a diopter adjustment, and has a good reputation. It costs much more than the cheap plastic toys.

I use a loupe on one of my Sigma cameras, This one is made by Sigma and like the Hoodman has a proper glass lens. The view is spectacularly good.

Don Cox

 D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Clickalot
OP Clickalot Contributing Member • Posts: 581
Re: Hoods/Loupes

I bought the crummy Movo hood I have because I couldn't find a decent glass lensed one with an attachment frame using the tripod socket.

It looks from ads that you're always using one hand to hold the Hoodman up against the LCD. Am I wrong?

-- hide signature --

On a Planet of Eight Billion, We're In a Pretty Nice Bubble.

Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
Re: Focusable LCD?
2

My solution is bifocal glasses. The lower portion has the reading prescription (so I can read the LCD), and the upper portion has my regular prescription (so I can see the subject). If you do look for bifocals, get ones "with a line", don't be palmed off with "varifocals".

 Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,547
Re: Focusable LCD?

Barry Twycross wrote:

My solution is bifocal glasses. The lower portion has the reading prescription (so I can read the LCD), and the upper portion has my regular prescription (so I can see the subject). If you do look for bifocals, get ones "with a line", don't be palmed off with "varifocals".

To the OP, see which lenses suit you best.  I also use lenses with differing focal lengths, but for me "varifocals" work very well indeed, not just for photography but for general use, including driving.

 davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Clickalot
OP Clickalot Contributing Member • Posts: 581
Re: Bifocals

I have two pair; one with the +3 segment on the top of the lens ("electricians glasses") and the other with it more conventionally on the bottom. I alternate between them per task/environment.

-- hide signature --

On a Planet of Eight Billion, We're In a Pretty Nice Bubble.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,315
Re: Focusable LCD?

D Cox wrote:

The loupes with cheap plastic lenses are useless. The Hoodman loupe has a proper glass lens with a diopter adjustment, and has a good reputation. It costs much more than the cheap plastic toys.

I use a loupe on one of my Sigma cameras, This one is made by Sigma and like the Hoodman has a proper glass lens. The view is spectacularly good.

Don Cox

The Hoodman is the one I have and was thinking of.  I didn't know that thee were a lot of optically inferior ones around without diopter adjustments.

Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
Re: Bifocals

Clickalot wrote:

I have two pair; one with the +3 segment on the top of the lens ("electricians glasses") and the other with it more conventionally on the bottom. I alternate between them per task/environment.

And they don't solve your LCD problem?

 Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Tony Bologna Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Focusable LCD?

The most practical solution is to change your eyes not the screen. A multifocal contact lens is probably the best option. Speak to your optician.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,210
Re: Focusable LCD?

Is something like this possible for you ?

you could then use whatever you use to read a phone screen to focus with.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads