Fuji X100V vs Fuji XS10 vs Nikon Z5

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Atanas New Member • Posts: 7
Fuji X100V vs Fuji XS10 vs Nikon Z5

Hello guys,
I like photography from a long time but latest years I'm taking photos with my phone only and I would like to jump deeper into the world of photography.

These 3 high end beginner's cameras fits in my budget, and in my area are priced relatively equal (prices with lenses for Z5 and XS10).

So my dilemma is - should I go for more compact and usable everyday X100V for street photography, although the images are not close to what I can see in the gallery for the Z5 - which is the same money - the only problem I see is the heavier body and dimensions and I guess a bag would be needed if I like to go out and shoot.

XS10 looks like it's somewhere in the middle, although it's not weather sealed and I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker or not. I like the compact body ~ 400 gr, image stabilization, small dimensions. I know Sony have some top full frame compact bodies - but they are about 50% more expensive and it's too much for a beginner in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

k_lehmann91
k_lehmann91 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Fuji X100V vs Fuji XS10 vs Nikon Z5

I'd go with X100V

first of all, if you really do a lot of street photo shooting, it would be extremely hard to carry a heavy bag with different lenses

For the quality of Z5... I think it's rather a personal opinion. If your raw material is good good, you can always work on the details in PS or any editor

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,293

I would love a X100# as a second camera, just for the street.  But ILC are more versatile.  For street sessions I never carry more than one additional lens, it all fits into a pretty small shoulder bag.  Even the X100 will need a bag, unless you sport an extra heavy overcoat.

Links for a whole lot of opinions -

Nikon Z for street photography - too big?

Camera recommendation...Nikon or Fuji

Lost in decisions, keep my Z6 or go back to Fujifilm?

Fujifilm XT30 vs Fujifilm XS10 vs Fujifilm X100V

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
OP Atanas New Member • Posts: 7

Thank you for your replies! 
Currently I'm struggling to decide between Fujifilm XS10 and Fuji X100V. I'm more of a creative person that likes to take primarily photos, and that's fits perfect fro X100V and it's small form factor and weather sealed body. But I can see my self staring and composing some distant objects and frames and I wouldn't be able to take these photos with fixed lens (except if I don't use WCL / TCS converter lenses for X100 series)? 
So I'm thinking - may be the Fujifilm XS10 is my best bet into getting in the world of photography on paper. But would I loose the ability to learn to be a better photographer by using X100V Fuji controls, this "excitement" everyone is talking when reviewing X100V + the compactness, bigger battery and weather sealing of it. Is the fact that XS 10 is not weather sealed mean I can't shoot in snowy situations with it?

If it was your first entrance into the enthusiastic photography, what would you get? X100V + conversion lenses or XS10 + 18-55 Zoom lens.

Have in mind that the XS10 pack is about 20% cheaper in my area. Thanks.

jarren New Member • Posts: 3

You could also get a fuji x-t30 with the 27 f2.8 lens. It is a very small package for street. I have the x-t20 with the 27 lens and it fits in my winter coat pocket.

And if you'd feel the need you could get a zoom lens with image stabilisation as well for more a more versatile package.

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,293

I loose the ability to learn to be a better photographer by using X100V Fuji controls

I've heard this argument before, strikes me as romantic nostalgia.  How good a photographer you eventually become will not depend on the camera you start with!!!

It may affect what style of photographer you are in the very short run.  Which has noting to do with how good of a photographer you end up being, decades later.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads