Sadly, It Happened Again

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Terryacky Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

IWBF wrote:

The pinion is made of a polymer (nylon?) and cannot be annealed.

Who told you that?

rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,682
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

IWBF wrote:

The pinion is made of a polymer (nylon?) and cannot be annealed.

You can, and manufacturers do, anneal these sort of thermoplastic parts - it depends on what the material is.

From a previous existence in the composites industry, even thermosets can achieve some degree of stress relaxation by combinations of thermal and stress cycling below the glass transition temperature.

Just to complicate things, from the look of the part, I am not convinced that the replacement parts from china via aliexpress are the same material as the one(s) Nikon used.

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,547
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

Terryacky wrote:

IWBF wrote:

The pinion is made of a polymer (nylon?) and cannot be annealed.

Who told you that?

Can nylon or plastics be annealed?

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

 Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,682
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

Paul Pasco wrote:

Terryacky wrote:

IWBF wrote:

The pinion is made of a polymer (nylon?) and cannot be annealed.

Who told you that?

Can nylon or plastics be annealed?

yes indeed many thermoplastics, including some nylon 66, can be annealed

Terryacky Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

IWBF wrote:

The pinion is made of a polymer (nylon?) and cannot be annealed.

file:///home/chronos/u-81fdc50a8151f725b8b3102592602854d9a36354/MyFiles/Downloads/nylon.pdf

Terryacky Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

Terryacky wrote:

IWBF wrote:

The pinion is made of a polymer (nylon?) and cannot be annealed.

file:///home/chronos/u-81fdc50a8151f725b8b3102592602854d9a36354/MyFiles/Downloads/nylon.pdf

sorry, here it is https://cpsm.kpi.ua/polymer/1992/8/1664-1668.pdf

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

Interesting, I did not know that and thought that only certain alloys could be heat treated.

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,787
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

cyuill2007 wrote:

My 30-110mm lens is exhibiting the stuck aperture issue again. I paid for a repair once. A second repair seems like throwing good money after bad. Not sure if I want to take a chance on another used 30-110, or a 10-100. I like the Nikon 1 system, but not the reliability of the lenses. On top of this issue, one of my V1 bodies is also developing issues with the EVF sensor.

I suppose this will ultimately hasten my move to the Z system.

Sad news! I mainly use F Mount lenses with my N1 cameras, except for the 70-300 CX and the 10/2.8!
My V2 passed away as an SD card got stuck in the camera, and I wasn't cool enough to try to sell it as spare parts (the rubber on the grip was falling off, too).
After 25,000 shots I thought it was OK  to say goodbye!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,787
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

Paul Pasco wrote:

Sorry to hear that, the 30-110 is a great little lens.

Indeed, indeed! Gave mine away, and then my wife's mint one failed!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,787
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

PanicProne wrote:

Is there a way to definitively fix N1 lenses? Even if it's a completely independent repair service.

Yes, send it to Huang and he'll fix it, at a cost, and shipping!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,787
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

IWBF wrote:

Interesting, I did not know that and thought that only certain alloys could be heat treated.

I flew a lot of model aircraft some decades ago, and one thing you should do at the beginning of the season was to boil your nylon props in water, as they get brittle when they dry out.

Worked great!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,682
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Interesting, I did not know that and thought that only certain alloys could be heat treated.

I flew a lot of model aircraft some decades ago, and one thing you should do at the beginning of the season was to boil your nylon props in water, as they get brittle when they dry out.

Worked great!

Thanks Tord - I have got the kettle on and I will dunk my 10-30's and 30-110's in that when its boiled !

Good point though.

Richard

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again
1

rich_cx139 wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Interesting, I did not know that and thought that only certain alloys could be heat treated.

I flew a lot of model aircraft some decades ago, and one thing you should do at the beginning of the season was to boil your nylon props in water, as they get brittle when they dry out.

Worked great!

Thanks Tord - I have got the kettle on and I will dunk my 10-30's and 30-110's in that when its boiled !

Good point though.

Richard

Haha, it looks as if the preowner of my 10-30 had tried exactly that:

But it works... and after cleaning the contacts under the duct tape even that faulty auto-on behavior stopped

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,787
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again
1

IWBF wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Interesting, I did not know that and thought that only certain alloys could be heat treated.

I flew a lot of model aircraft some decades ago, and one thing you should do at the beginning of the season was to boil your nylon props in water, as they get brittle when they dry out.

Worked great!

Thanks Tord - I have got the kettle on and I will dunk my 10-30's and 30-110's in that when its boiled !

Good point though.

Richard

Haha, it looks as if the preowner of my 10-30 had tried exactly that:

But it works... and after cleaning the contacts under the duct tape even that faulty auto-on behavior stopped

Good for you!
But humidity which is good for most plastics, isn't ideal for electronics, nor lenses, as they might grow fungus.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Terryacky Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

MYDC wrote:

I think this is not how many times you want to repair it or buy a second hand even a new lens.

This is an issue at Nikon 1 aperture system faulty design. Also, I have Nikon 1 original repair gear part, but I know this part still has an issue on it. So we decide to do something different, that makes the precision metal gear for Nikon 1 aperture gear issue. If we don't do it, we know replace plastic gear still will fault again.

Do you happen to know the module of the 9 tooth pinion?

Thanks

D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,098
cyuill2007...
2

cyuill2007 wrote:

My 30-110mm lens is exhibiting the stuck aperture issue again. I paid for a repair once. A second repair seems like throwing good money after bad. Not sure if I want to take a chance on another used 30-110, or a 10-100. I like the Nikon 1 system, but not the reliability of the lenses. On top of this issue, one of my V1 bodies is also developing issues with the EVF sensor.

I suppose this will ultimately hasten my move to the Z system.

Just a little story and a lot of remorse....

I had a Nikon 1V1 and 3 lenses.  I over-reacted to the cost of my growing pile of gear, and the GAS that had me contemplating another purchase....and it would be expensive.

I traded it in.  I've regretted that. That little camera punched above its weight. I had the best bird in flight photos I had taken. The camera was so small!  A photo from a car-run with the Porsche Club was published in their national magazine.  On the cover.

I'm currently using gear by another manufacturer.

I wish I had kept my Nikon 1V1. And I wish that the lenses were more reliable for all the committed owners.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Canada

 D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828
OP cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,005
Re: cyuill2007...
1

Not to worry , Dave. I am keeping my current Nikon 1 gear. In fact, I haven’t gotten rid of gear since a thief stole my Olympus OM-1 and five lenses back in 1995. The Nikon 1 gear would serve as backup gear, except perhaps for bird photography. My son is currently using one of my V1 bodies and my 10-30mm lens. The Nikon 1 cameras have been too much fun over the years for me to want to get rid of them. But it’s harder to have fun when an important lens doesn’t work.

 cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads