Sadly, It Happened Again

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
cyuill2007 Contributing Member • Posts: 999
Sadly, It Happened Again

My 30-110mm lens is exhibiting the stuck aperture issue again. I paid for a repair once. A second repair seems like throwing good money after bad. Not sure if I want to take a chance on another used 30-110, or a 10-100. I like the Nikon 1 system, but not the reliability of the lenses. On top of this issue, one of my V1 bodies is also developing issues with the EVF sensor.

I suppose this will ultimately hasten my move to the Z system.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +8 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,522
Re: Sadly, It Happened Again

Sorry to hear that, the 30-110 is a great little lens.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J1 +25 more
OP cyuill2007 Contributing Member • Posts: 999

Paul Pasco wrote:

Sorry to hear that, the 30-110 is a great little lens.

It is a great little lens, optically. It was also the only telephoto zoom that would work well for BIF shots with my V2. It took great photos and videos.

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +8 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,164

i get the feeling with the lenses we are all on borrowed time with the system, sad news

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,616

sorry to hear that

maybe time for the z50 as you suggest.  At least no hassle.

You might try MYDC.com and ask for a quote ?    He has sourced some metal gears for the aperture mechanism.

I think I may leave my 30-110’s and 10-30 non pd on one side and just use my repaired 10-100 now.

richard

SW Anderson Regular Member • Posts: 417

rich_cx139 wrote:

sorry to hear that

maybe time for the z50 as you suggest. At least no hassle.

At about $1,000 new with kit zoom, one would hope no hassle. I wonder if any person or outfit has done a teardown examination of the Z50 or any of Nikon's Z cameras. It would be reassuring to know there aren't any nasty future surprises under the hood.

I don't like to sound so negative, but once burned twice shy. I have an elderly Oly E-PL1 and a time-tested Panasonic G3. Both cameras and their lenses work as well as when new.

You might try MYDC.com and ask for a quote ? He has sourced some metal gears for the aperture mechanism.

I think I may leave my 30-110’s and 10-30 non pd on one side and just use my repaired 10-100 now.

richard

I have a couple of V!'s and J1's and a V2, plus several lenses. I've avoided using them in part because I don't want to discover another lens has gone bad or a body has problems. Those are the only cameras I feel that way about. Maybe Nikon's latest models will be paragons of reliability and durability. I hope so for all the people putting their money and faith in them. The new ones have great ergonomics and IQ, though. And, they're very good looking.

SW Anderson's gear list:SW Anderson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Pentax Q7 Samsung NX mini Nikon 1 V1 +6 more

cyuill2007 wrote:

My 30-110mm lens is exhibiting the stuck aperture issue again. I paid for a repair once. A second repair seems like throwing good money after bad. Not sure if I want to take a chance on another used 30-110, or a 10-100. I like the Nikon 1 system, but not the reliability of the lenses. On top of this issue, one of my V1 bodies is also developing issues with the EVF sensor.

If it's any help, mpb.com currently has eight used 30-110's for sale. They range from good condition for $83 to excellent for $94, to like new for $99.  Photos there are of the individual lenses that are for sale. I have found descriptions there to be accurate. Unfortunately, though, there's no guarantee internal problems won't crop up past the limited six-month warranty.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Pentax Q7 Samsung NX mini Nikon 1 V1 +6 more

SW Anderson wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

sorry to hear that

At about $1,000 new with kit zoom, one would hope no hassle. I wonder if any person or outfit has done a teardown examination of the Z50 or any of Nikon's Z cameras. It would be reassuring to know there aren't any nasty future surprises under the hood.

Roger has done a teardown of the Z7 - he was very impressed:  lens rentals Z7 teardown

I don't like to sound so negative, but once burned twice shy. I have an elderly Oly E-PL1 and a time-tested Panasonic G3. Both cameras and their lenses work as well as when new.

You might try MYDC.com and ask for a quote ? He has sourced some metal gears for the aperture mechanism.

richard

I have a couple of V!'s and J1's and a V2, plus several lenses. I've avoided using them in part because I don't want to discover another lens has gone bad or a body has problems. Those are the only cameras I feel that way about. Maybe Nikon's latest models will be paragons of reliability and durability. I hope so for all the people putting their money and faith in them. The new ones have great ergonomics and IQ, though. And, they're very good looking.

PanicProne Junior Member • Posts: 26

Is there a way to definitively fix N1 lenses? Even if it's a completely independent repair service.

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,522

SW Anderson wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

sorry to hear that

I guess I will find out; I have one now with the 16-50 and as good as the lens is optically, it feels like a toy! We shall see.

richard

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J1 +25 more
PORTRAIT
PORTRAIT Senior Member • Posts: 2,786

cyuill2007 wrote:

I hear ya cyuill2007, the 30-110mm. Is indeed a great lens, and I went through exactly the same thing few months ago’, not sure whether or not I wanted to keep investing $$$ on this system...Anyway, repairing was out of the equation at the least for me, so I started to look on my local online market, as on EBay, as I couldn’t  find anyone offering any return policy warranty at that time, and other major online retailers were out of stock, so I set my budget, of CAD$100, and sure enough I found one brand new! ( although... Red;)May be only used once,  I met with the guy tested thoroughly, and at the end I bought it (he accepted $90;). I keep saying  to my self that is the last $ I spend for the N1 system;)...

Marco

-- hide signature --

Photography= Art & Tech.
Marco Images© All Rights Reserved.
Please do not use them without prior permission.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcofdv/
https://photos.google.com/albums

PORTRAIT's gear list:PORTRAIT's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 +6 more
MYDC New Member • Posts: 20

I think this is not how many times you want to repair it or buy a second hand even a new lens.

This is an issue at Nikon 1 aperture system faulty design. Also, I have Nikon 1 original repair gear part, but I know this part still has an issue on it. So we decide to do something different, that makes the precision metal gear for Nikon 1 aperture gear issue. If we don't do it, we know replace plastic gear still will fault again.

Pinnacle Photo
Pinnacle Photo Regular Member • Posts: 396

I have an extra red one with red hood I would just ship you. If you want to email me a UPS label I will send it. Not sure what it would cost to ship to Canada.

I was looking for a red one and the 1st one I got has a little stickiness to the zoom, other wise it works great. When I brought it up to KEH they just shipped me a 2nd one and told me to keep the first. They do have great customer service!

BTW - I have a Z6 and the 24-200, it is a really nice setup.   The 24-200 is better than any super-zoom I have tried in the past.

JJ

Pinnacle Photo's gear list:Pinnacle Photo's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +12 more
OP cyuill2007 Contributing Member • Posts: 999

SW Anderson wrote:

At about $1,000 new with kit zoom, one would hope no hassle. I wonder if any person or outfit has done a teardown examination of

My experiences and thoughts are aligned with yours. I am almost afraid to use 1 Nikkor lenses out of fear that they will break, as has happened with this lens (twice) and my 10-30. My other three lenses (6.7-13, 10, and 18.5) have had (so far, fingers crossed) no issues.

By comparison, my Nikon, Tamron, and Sigma F-mount lenses have always worked.

I think that the unreliability of the 1 Nikkor lenses was one reason that Nikon ultimately cancelled the system. (The Nikon 1 system was introduced at around the same time Nikon was having QA and QC issues with cameras like the D600, D800, and D750.) Which is too bad. I liked the Nikon 1 system because it had a fun factor lacking in the more serious Nikon cameras. The Z 50 is supposed to be similar in that regard. I just hope that it and the Z-mount lenses are reliable like the F-mount cameras and lenses.

rich_cx139 wrote:

SW Anderson wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

sorry to hear that

Roger has done a teardown of the Z7 - he was very impressed: lens rentals Z7 teardown

Good, that is reassuring.

I, too, have a 6.7-13mm lens. It was pricey, but the zoom range and IQ are terrific. If that one goes bad I don't think I will ever get over it. And, to my knowledge, that lens isn't adaptable to any other lens mount. (If I'm wrong, please, someone, provide details.)

SW Anderson wrote:

I, too, have a 6.7-13mm lens. It was pricey, but the zoom range and IQ are terrific. If that one goes bad I don't think I will ever get over it. And, to my knowledge, that lens isn't adaptable to any other lens mount. (If I'm wrong, please, someone, provide details.)

Unfortunately nikon 1 only.  In fact the olympus 9-18 is very very similar in image quality and only a bit larger.  It’s the only wide zoom I have for the smal m43 kit that I have retained.  I sold off any heavy m43 stuff a few years ago and just kept my old em5.1

My wife and i I have 2 of the 6.7-13’s between us and have had no problems so far but, as you said, it’s expensive so if there is a problem I will ask mydc for a quote for repair

Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462

MYDC wrote:

I think this is not how many times you want to repair it or buy a second hand even a new lens.

This is an issue at Nikon 1 aperture system faulty design. Also, I have Nikon 1 original repair gear part, but I know this part still has an issue on it. So we decide to do something different, that makes the precision metal gear for Nikon 1 aperture gear issue. If we don't do it, we know replace plastic gear still will fault again.

To have the plastic replaced with a precision metal part is a great idea. I'll definitely consider to send my more valuable lenses to Taiwan, once they suffer from the stuck aperture fault. Fortunately so far I've been lucky.

I remain a happy customer, using the CX70-300 repaired by you almost daily. By now it must have crossed 2 million clicks. - Obviously we only know the clicks of the cameras, not of lenses. But with my five N1 cameras I have used the CX70-300 almost exclusively, more than 98% of my practice.

Your continued repair of the quality N1 system as an independent store in Taiwan is much appreciated. This German will definitely contact you again, but I hope not too soon.

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Terryacky New Member • Posts: 22

It is only the pinion that is the problem, the mating wheel performs OK?  Perhaps all that is required to fix the tiny pinion is to anneal it  before assembly, this should remove the brittleness.

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 249

The pinion is made of a polymer (nylon?) and cannot be annealed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads