Check your editor performance settings

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
Check your editor performance settings

This is mainly in reference to Photoshop but could conceivably apply to other photo editors.

I added a new external SSD drive and went into PS Preferences to change my file handling settings. Right away I noticed that the no. 1 priority for scratch disks was my tiny backup partition! How long this had been that way and how it got set I don't have a clue, but have been noticing PS running slow a lot of times. So I fixed that issue and checked the other settings. I also found in the Color settings that my working space was set to sRGB instead of ProPhoto RGB that I normally use. These things must get changed during updates, otherwise I don't know how they would be. So I've got to remind myself to check these every once in awhile, especially after updates.

Dick

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6
Mark Hollister Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: Check your editor performance settings

Good post, Dick.  One thing to add - Must quit and restart Photoshop for the changes to take effect.

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,486

Thanks for the tip! For years, I have used an SSD (not the boot drive) in my system for the scratch disk. For whatever reason, updates maybe?, PS had switched back to my boot SSD.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Dick Barbour
OP Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,161

Ken Seals wrote:

Thanks for the tip! For years, I have used an SSD (not the boot drive) in my system for the scratch disk. For whatever reason, updates maybe?, PS had switched back to my boot SSD.

You're welcome. Yes, I think it's the updates. It would seem a pretty basic requirement of an update process, to preserve the user's settings.

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads