Picture style questions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
adonetok Regular Member • Posts: 138
Picture style questions

I use Canon 90D and most time is for birding.

I always set file as RAW only.

1) If one picture style should select for most time birding, which one should I select?

a) Standard,

b) Neutral,

c) Landscape

2) Do I need to adjust parameters for above selection?

Ray UK Contributing Member • Posts: 806
Re: Picture style questions

It depends on what software you use for the raw conversion, if you use Canon's DPP then it makes no difference as you have the option to select any picture style within DPP, although it will apply the one chosen in camera by default.

If you use other software I would suggest Neutral although most software will ignore the setting anyway so it will make no difference

Fastfreddy74 New Member • Posts: 14

If you shoot RAW picture style doesn't make any difference. It applies only to JPEGs.

OP adonetok Regular Member • Posts: 138

I use Adobe light room.

Fastfreddy74 wrote:

If you shoot RAW picture style doesn't make any difference. It applies only to JPEGs.

If you read my previous reply you will see that I state DPP will apply picture style when processing raw files, most other raw software convertors don't.

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,145

adonetok wrote:

I use Canon 90D and most time is for birding.

I always set file as RAW only.

1) If one picture style should select for most time birding, which one should I select?

a) Standard,

b) Neutral,

c) Landscape

2) Do I need to adjust parameters for above selection?

Adobe Lightroom (your software) won't care about Picture Style settings for raw files. In fact, LR assigns its own color profile by default.

But that does not mean that Pictures Styles are worthless. For starters, your Picture Style settings determine what you see on your LCD. If I know, for example, that my final output is going to be monochrome (B&W), then I may select a monochrome picture style so that I can see my LCD previews in B&W, too. The raw files will still be in color, of course, but then they can be adjusted with a bit more nuance in LR.

Another reason to pay attention to Picture Styles is because those settings will be baked into your video capture files. If you intend to shoot video and don't wish to do a lot of editing, then you'll need to get your settings right in-camera, including both Picture Styles and white balance. If you intend to tweak your picture later in editing, then you'll want to use very neutral and flat Picture Style settings, such as Neutral. (And even then it is recommended to lower contrast and saturation in the PS settings so that they can be more effectively tweaked in post.)

Before I did much video capture, I shot only raw files and didn't worry about Picture Styles. If you don't shoot video, you won't need to, either.

Good  luck

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV GoPro Hero7 Black +6 more

adonetok wrote:

I use Adobe light room.

I don't use lightroom so cannot comment on this but it may be worth looking at this article:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Canon-Picture-Styles-in-Lightroom/td-p/304161

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,900

Ray UK wrote:

adonetok wrote:

I use Adobe light room.

I don't use lightroom so cannot comment on this but it may be worth looking at this article:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Canon-Picture-Styles-in-Lightroom/td-p/304161

There are Camera Matching Profiles for some CR3 files because they are available for my Canon M50. However Adobe stopped providing them for later models,not sure when that happened though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads