Zeiss 100mm makro planar f/2, fringing and f stop advice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ColoPhoto Forum Member • Posts: 69
Zeiss 100mm makro planar f/2, fringing and f stop advice

Hello!

I recently acquired a used zeiss 100mm makro planar f/2, primarily for portraits as I wanted something between 85 and 135 and wanted to dabble in the zeiss world. I want to love it because the color is amazing, however the purple and green fringing is quite distracting.  At what f stop does this typically disappear?

Thanks!

ColoPhoto's gear list:ColoPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +8 more
pluton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,428
Re: Zeiss 100mm makro planar f/2, fringing and f stop advice

The Zeiss 100/2 is an amazing lens. It has extremely high resolution, a beautiful tonal rendition, and focus transitions are ultra smooth.

Alas, all is not perfect in Zeiss 100 World, and you've found the flaw.

I've done tests by pointing my ZF 100/2 at a hot, shiny water reflection and other high-contrast scenes. In those tests, the axial color never completely went away. It got really small at f/8, smaller at f/11, and pretty damn minimal at f/16.

If the kind of shots you want to make with your 100mm lens are the type that greatly accentuate axial chromatic aberration, you unfortunately picked the wrong lens.

The Zeiss 135/2 (Classic or Milvus) is reputed to have much, much less CA than the 100.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

John Crowe
John Crowe Contributing Member • Posts: 904

Good advice already.  Considering how good a lens it is, have you had good results in correcting in post processing?

I only ask as I have bought a brand new lens, completely different, but they have essentially designed in obvious CA knowing it can be easily removed.  My sharpest lens, also new design, has extremely small CA, which I do tweak to get rid of in post processing.  So CA is not something that you might not get rid of completely in any lens.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Irix 11mm F4 +14 more

It is important to distinguish between axial(longitudinal)CA and lateral CA.  In my limited experience, software can easily correct lateral CA with the push of a single button.  Axial CA (AKA longitudinal CA) is not so easily eliminated.
-KB-

saaber1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,142

ColoPhoto wrote:

Hello!

I recently acquired a used zeiss 100mm makro planar f/2, primarily for portraits as I wanted something between 85 and 135 and wanted to dabble in the zeiss world. I want to love it because the color is amazing, however the purple and green fringing is quite distracting. At what f stop does this typically disappear?

Thanks!

Never had an issue with this one the copy I had. Are you focusing accurately?  Does it do the same thing when focusing with magnified live view?

Until the OP responds, I offer this: My copy of the ZF 100/2 delivers outstanding imagery except in those specific, classic situations where axial CA is accentuated:  high contrast silhouettes with wider apertures;  you want to see the lovely out of focus stuff in front of- and behind the thing that's in focus, but those OOF shapes are contaminated with color fringing that doesn't go away until f/11 or f/16.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

bokesan
bokesan Regular Member • Posts: 333

ColoPhoto wrote:

Hello!

I recently acquired a used zeiss 100mm makro planar f/2, primarily for portraits as I wanted something between 85 and 135 and wanted to dabble in the zeiss world. I want to love it because the color is amazing, however the purple and green fringing is quite distracting. At what f stop does this typically disappear?

f/5.6 - f/8: LoCA graphs by Jim Kasson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads