One camera. One lens. One year.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
John Crawley
John Crawley Senior Member • Posts: 1,362
One camera. One lens. One year.

A friend has come up with a challenge for me (For us if you want to join in…)

Here is the premise. One camera. One lens. One shot a month. Every quarter we will download our three best shots and at the end of the year compare our sets.

He has chosen the Fujifilm 100x V. I am going with either the Leica Q or the Leica X Vario, I have not decided which as of yet. (Nothing in his original challenge suggested that zooms or varios were illegal. It is one lens, after all. This interpretation is still being discussed. I mean, I might even consider the V Lux 5 or 114… Would love to hear some of you guys weigh in on this.)

The exercise starts on February 1. During the span of the year you must cover one of each category below:

Landscape

Silhouette

Still life

Portrait

Action shot of some kind. (Does not have to be sports…)

Street life

Child (Candid not posing)

B&W (in any category)

Wildlife

You cannot combine categories. If you have a great B&W action shot, chose a category for the entry and move on.

That basically gives you a free quarter to choose any subject you wish. (And if you live in Texas, no bluebonnet shots. We have too many of them as it is.)

No special affects. No filters added to lens once competition has started.

Only cropping, and small Lightroom-Photoshop type adjustments such as WB, Exposure, Contrast, Cropping and Sharpness, etc may be used. No special post filters or affects.

If you, in month two, shoot a landscape (for example) and then in month five shoot a better one, you can replace your earlier subject with the more recent one, but you still must cover all of the prerequisites listed above. You may not switch cameras during the year’s exercise*. And if you are using a camera that accepts more than one lens, you must enter only those shots made with your chosen lens.

All photography belongs to the artist who created it and is placed into the challenge only as an intellectual exercise to see how we all have grown under this set of limitations.

*Should you lose a camera due to theft or breakage, a replacement may be substituted, but its MP and lens mm lens should be as close to the original as possible.

We will post a site in this and the Fujifilm forum each quarter for you to enter. If others with other cameras join, we will also place the site entry there as well. THERE ARE NO PRIZES, EXCEPT FOR THE THRILL OF TAKING GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY AND SEEING GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY.

See you at the end of April for our first showing.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley
“Let there be light.” It all began right there.
There are three kinds of people: those that are good at math and those that are not.

John Crawley's gear list:John Crawley's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Leica X Vario Leica Q Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Fujifilm X100F
Sufstreet
Sufstreet Regular Member • Posts: 278
Re: One camera. One lens. One year.

John Crawley wrote:

A friend has come up with a challenge for me (For us if you want to join in…)

Here is the premise. One camera. One lens. One shot a month. Every quarter we will download our three best shots and at the end of the year compare our sets.

He has chosen the Fujifilm 100x V. I am going with either the Leica Q or the Leica X Vario, I have not decided which as of yet. (Nothing in his original challenge suggested that zooms or varios were illegal. It is one lens, after all. This interpretation is still being discussed. I mean, I might even consider the V Lux 5 or 114… Would love to hear some of you guys weigh in on this.)

The exercise starts on February 1. During the span of the year you must cover one of each category below:

Landscape

Silhouette

Still life

Portrait

Action shot of some kind. (Does not have to be sports…)

Street life

Child (Candid not posing)

B&W (in any category)

Wildlife

You cannot combine categories. If you have a great B&W action shot, chose a category for the entry and move on.

That basically gives you a free quarter to choose any subject you wish. (And if you live in Texas, no bluebonnet shots. We have too many of them as it is.)

No special affects. No filters added to lens once competition has started.

Only cropping, and small Lightroom-Photoshop type adjustments such as WB, Exposure, Contrast, Cropping and Sharpness, etc may be used. No special post filters or affects.

If you, in month two, shoot a landscape (for example) and then in month five shoot a better one, you can replace your earlier subject with the more recent one, but you still must cover all of the prerequisites listed above. You may not switch cameras during the year’s exercise*. And if you are using a camera that accepts more than one lens, you must enter only those shots made with your chosen lens.

All photography belongs to the artist who created it and is placed into the challenge only as an intellectual exercise to see how we all have grown under this set of limitations.

*Should you lose a camera due to theft or breakage, a replacement may be substituted, but its MP and lens mm lens should be as close to the original as possible.

We will post a site in this and the Fujifilm forum each quarter for you to enter. If others with other cameras join, we will also place the site entry there as well. THERE ARE NO PRIZES, EXCEPT FOR THE THRILL OF TAKING GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY AND SEEING GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY.

See you at the end of April for our first showing.

Awesome! Fun with small projects.

I'll challenge myself a bit and go with the first generation of X trans sensors, with my XE1 together with the original XF35MMF1.4 .

A lovely reason to bring it with me more often.

Johan

@sufstreet

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home

Sufstreet's gear list:Sufstreet's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,207

IMO the one lens refers to one focal length.

John Crawley
OP John Crawley Senior Member • Posts: 1,362

Then use a camera with one focal length. But the original idea was to take a camera you are familiar with, or you are learning on, or is new to you...any of those requisites...take your pick and put on a lens and shoot.  Nothing was ever decided about focal length. I was considering the Leia V Lux 114, which is a bridge camera 25-400 mm fixed lens zoom.  It would have qualified. I chose the Q which is a 28mm fixed, but the VLux would have been allowable.

The point is, all your shots done with the same equipment. Over a year see how you grow with that gear.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley
There are three kinds of people: those that are good at math and those that are not.

Human Elements
Human Elements Contributing Member • Posts: 566

I'm on Month 6+2 (took a break for a few weeks) of 1 camera 1 lens 1 year myself with the X100V so I'ma chime in with some constructive criticism

One focal length (prime lens) is so much more interesting than one zoom lens. The idea is that you start to pay more attention to shooting rather than relying on bokeh or different focal lengths and find unexpected compositions. You smack up against the limitations of the lens and embrace them.

It simplifies the challenge as well - one focal length, shoot whatever you want! But if you like the categorical aspect, maybe you could add groupings like "wide-angle," "normal," and "telephoto" and see what people do with that. I'd love to see how people shoot wildlife with wide-angle and normal views...

Some of the other prohibitions seem a bit arbitrary as well. No physical filters but "small" Lightroom adjustments are allowed? You can't use a polarizer but you can use a contrast slider? Physical filters add creativity and help you get more out of your prime lens. I just bought a macro filter for my X100V - gonna try some 35mm macro photography! I also have some landscape filters in my Amazon shopping cart...Filters make one lens much more bearable!

I'd suggest sticking to the original 1 prime lens nature of the contest. It's been a huge challenge but I've definitely seen my work improve. Not sure I'll make it the full year as I'm just doing it for me but I might if you guys decide to join me!

Human Elements's gear list:Human Elements's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
John Crawley

I think most people are going with a fixed focal length camera.  But I didn;t make up the rules to begin with so to each his own...

-- hide signature --

John Crawley

Human Elements
Human Elements Contributing Member • Posts: 566

Just weighing in, as requested. No matter how the rules get interpreted I wish you guys luck! It sounds like a fun project 

Human Elements's gear list:Human Elements's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
John Crawley

You better qualify your ground rules...

• Does a zoom lens qualify?
  • Can you shoot your other cameras during the year or is you intent to force the participants to glom onto that single camera/lens combination for the year?

Seems like a fun exercise but as others have pointed out other variations have been around with other (more specific) rules.

Good questions.

Chose a camera and chose a lens to go with it. Zoom or not. that has been left open by the rule makers. As for shooting other cameras, certainly you may, but not for this project. enter only the shots taken with your chosen camera.

The exercise is to see how you learn to manage and grow with a single instrument and a single lens throughout a year. That is all.

First prize will post your name here. Second prize, we'll give your name to the FBI... My funny way of reminding you that this is not a contest but an exercise in creativity.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,302
 biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
d88n Junior Member • Posts: 31

Already responded in the Leica forum. Without a doubt I would go for the Q2, even though I am also a big fan of Fujifilm. A fixed focal point which is not interchangeable automatically forces you into this angle. Then it is best to choose a bright focal length that can be widely used

d88n's gear list:d88n's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR
John Crawley

A couple of questions:

HDR? No.

Can you shoot more than one B&W? Yes. But you must have at least one B&W

Zoom? Would prefer not, but it is not outlawed.

Film? I guess. Been so long since i shot film...but that's up to you. It must be digitized so we can see it here on DPReview forums.

If you have physical limitations (handicaps as some have said) that prohibit certain kind of shots, we understand. Shoot what you can and enter that. Remember this is NOT a contest but rather a learning exercise.

What if I already have shots that cover the categories? Must be taken between Feb 1, 2021 and Feb 1, 2022. we will review quarterly just to make things interesting and moving along. I will send out a notice for those who are taking part where to post.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads