Newbie question regarding Lightroom Classic.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
bgillies Regular Member • Posts: 243
Newbie question regarding Lightroom Classic.

I am just beginning using Lightroom Classif on my Windows 10 PC.

I have successfully imported 100 .NEF files. Before I start working on individual files,  I want to change all of them to Auto White Balance and Auto Tone Control. Is there a simple way to do this?

Are there web sites about the use and support of Lightroom that are better than others?

Thank you.

Cariboou
Cariboou Veteran Member • Posts: 3,321
Re: Newbie question regarding Lightroom Classic.
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,401
Re: Newbie question regarding Lightroom Classic.
1

bgillies wrote:

I am just beginning using Lightroom Classif on my Windows 10 PC.

I have successfully imported 100 .NEF files. Before I start working on individual files, I want to change all of them to Auto White Balance and Auto Tone Control. Is there a simple way to do this?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "simple way". Here is how I would do it:

  1. Select the desired photos (or ALL photos)
  2. Go to the Develop Module and turn on Auto Sync (bottom right of the screen in the Sync button, there is a slider to the left which should be set to the UP position and then the text will change from Sync to Auto Sync)
  3. Make whatever develop change you want, these will be applied to all selected photos
  4. Turn off the Auto Sync by sliding the slider to the DOWN position (don't forget this or edits that are supposed to be for individual photos will be applied to ALL selected photos)

Are there web sites about the use and support of Lightroom that are better than others?

LightroomQueen.com has lots of good stuff including a FREE beginner's e-book, which is FREE and doesn't cost you anything, gratis. Did I mention it is FREE?

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

 dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,490
Re: Newbie question regarding Lightroom Classic.
1

Did you post this twice? See my answer in the other post. Never mind, I will post it here:

Unless your images are all nearly identical, the syncing auto settings will give you different results than clicking the auto button or selecting auto white balance for each image individually. Sync will apply the settings (slider positions) of the original, not click the auto button for each image.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

 Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,101
Re: Newbie question regarding Lightroom Classic.
1

Ken Seals wrote:

Unless your images are all nearly identical, the syncing auto settings will give you different results than clicking the auto button or selecting auto white balance for each image individually. Sync will apply the settings (slider positions) of the original, not click the auto button for each image.

The key here is not to Sync your photos to the first photo, but to do as dj_paige suggests and Autosync them. Sync merely copies all the settings from the first image; Autosync applies the "Auto" to each image separately.

-- hide signature --

George

 gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
OP bgillies Regular Member • Posts: 243
Re: Newbie question regarding Lightroom Classic.

gscotten wrote:

Ken Seals wrote:

Unless your images are all nearly identical, the syncing auto settings will give you different results than clicking the auto button or selecting auto white balance for each image individually. Sync will apply the settings (slider positions) of the original, not click the auto button for each image.

The key here is not to Sync your photos to the first photo, but to do as dj_paige suggests and Autosync them. Sync merely copies all the settings from the first image; Autosync applies the "Auto" to each image separately.

Thank you for pointing out the difference. Autosync is what I am after.

OP bgillies Regular Member • Posts: 243
Re: Newbie question regarding Lightroom Classic.

dj_paige wrote:

bgillies wrote:

I am just beginning using Lightroom Classif on my Windows 10 PC.

I have successfully imported 100 .NEF files. Before I start working on individual files, I want to change all of them to Auto White Balance and Auto Tone Control. Is there a simple way to do this?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "simple way". Here is how I would do it:

  1. Select the desired photos (or ALL photos)
  2. Go to the Develop Module and turn on Auto Sync (bottom right of the screen in the Sync button, there is a slider to the left which should be set to the UP position and then the text will change from Sync to Auto Sync)
  3. Make whatever develop change you want, these will be applied to all selected photos
  4. Turn off the Auto Sync by sliding the slider to the DOWN position (don't forget this or edits that are supposed to be for individual photos will be applied to ALL selected photos.

Many thanks. This worked like a charm.

Are there web sites about the use and support of Lightroom that are better than others?

LightroomQueen.com has lots of good stuff including a FREE beginner's e-book, which is FREE and doesn't cost you anything, gratis. Did I mention it is FREE?

I will check it out. FREE works for me.

Bill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads