LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
TheGrilledCheese Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

Every LaCie external storage product I've ever bought led to early demise of the drive due to overheating and poor thermal management. I will never buy LaCie brand again.

OP mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,392
Re: LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

Every LaCie external storage product I've ever bought led to early demise of the drive due to overheating and poor thermal management. I will never buy LaCie brand again.

I have a (Thunderbolt) LaCie 6Tb on my iMac for more than 2 years now. No problem whatsoever .....so far:-)

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,547
Countervailing anecdote

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

OTOH, I've had more LaCie drives than I can count over the past 20 years, and none of the drive mechanisms or enclosures failed. About 15 years ago, two of them suffered failed external power supplies. I replaced those and the drives were fine ever since. Right now, I'm using a 5big TB2, and 2big TB2, two desktop Porsche USB3 drives, and a portable Porsche USB3 4TB drive.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Peter in Milton Regular Member • Posts: 275
Re: Countervailing anecdote

Jacques Cornell wrote:

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

OTOH, I've had more LaCie drives than I can count over the past 20 years, and none of the drive mechanisms or enclosures failed. About 15 years ago, two of them suffered failed external power supplies. I replaced those and the drives were fine ever since. Right now, I'm using a 5big TB2, and 2big TB2, two desktop Porsche USB3 drives, and a portable Porsche USB3 4TB drive.

Same story with me.  I have about 10 to 15 LaCie drives, most of which are in steady use and I have never had a failure.  I'm not suggesting that they are any better than some other brand, just that they work fine for me, so I tend to stay with them.

Peter in Milton's gear list:Peter in Milton's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica CL Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D
OP mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,392
Re: Countervailing anecdote

Now I have a proper working LaCie, but the usb-c to usb-c connection doesn’t work (??).

my older Thunderbolt d2 (thunderbolt cable) works perfect with my iMac 2019.

I should be able to use that new Usb- C cable on iMac  thunderbolt ports, right?

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads