LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,366
LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

As probably many of you, I own and use multiple external hard disks. At the moment the LaCie d2 Thunderbolt (6Tb), which probably is not produced anymore. I love that Thunderbolt speed , because I also work directly on files that are stored on that external.     I had a Synology NAS in the past, but I prefer separate desktop hard drives (more for backups).

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

It' s time for a new desktop harddrive and I' m thinking about the LaCie 1big Thunderbolt 8Tb. I know the Seagate IronWolf Pro disks are inside  and that they' re meant to be used in NAS systems. I presume  they will do as well as an individual desktop storage device?

Does anyone use one of this series (4Tb/8Tb or 16Tb)?

If so, what are your experiences? All advice is welcome ofcourse.

Thank you!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Peter in Milton Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

mujana wrote:

As probably many of you, I own and use multiple external hard disks. At the moment the LaCie d2 Thunderbolt (6Tb), which probably is not produced anymore. I love that Thunderbolt speed , because I also work directly on files that are stored on that external. I had a Synology NAS in the past, but I prefer separate desktop hard drives (more for backups).

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

It' s time for a new desktop harddrive and I' m thinking about the LaCie 1big Thunderbolt 8Tb. I know the Seagate IronWolf Pro disks are inside and that they' re meant to be used in NAS systems. I presume they will do as well as an individual desktop storage device?

Thank you!

I'm wondering why you are planning such a minor upgrade: same interface, only slightly more capacity.  Also, this is a single (non-RAID) drive, and not SSD, so it doesn't really exploit the thunderbolt technology.  It would be interesting to know what transfer speed you are finding at present.

Incidentally, I own a number of LaCie d2 drives (old and new) with different interface technologies and find that reliability has not been an issue.

Peter in Milton's gear list:Peter in Milton's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica CL Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D
OP mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,366

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

As probably many of you, I own and use multiple external hard disks. At the moment the LaCie d2 Thunderbolt (6Tb), which probably is not produced anymore. I love that Thunderbolt speed , because I also work directly on files that are stored on that external. I had a Synology NAS in the past, but I prefer separate desktop hard drives (more for backups).

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

It' s time for a new desktop harddrive and I' m thinking about the LaCie 1big Thunderbolt 8Tb. I know the Seagate IronWolf Pro disks are inside and that they' re meant to be used in NAS systems. I presume they will do as well as an individual desktop storage device?

Thank you!

I'm wondering why you are planning such a minor upgrade: same interface, only slightly more capacity. Also, this is a single (non-RAID) drive, and not SSD, so it doesn't really exploit the thunderbolt technology. It would be interesting to know what transfer speed you are finding at present.

Incidentally, I own a number of LaCie d2 drives (old and new) with different interface technologies and find that reliability has not been an issue.

Thank you Peter.

I' m not that technical , but why doesn't it exploit thunderbolt technology? Not any faster than usb-3 or even (regular) usb-c?

Indeed, not a very impressive upgrade. My 6Tb LaCie D2 Thunderbolt 3 still functions ok. Not a problem (although at one time this drive didn' t show on my iMac anymore. Suddenly solved...by itself). I use several externals. From 2Tb to 4Tb and 6Tb. Except for the 6Tb LaCie (still 3Tb left), all others are "full". So, I need an extra external anyway. Maybe not a massive upgrade.

At the moment it' s easy and fast to surf through my external files, but also working on these files is fast. I can easily switch between (working on) photographs on my LaCie Thunderbolt 3 and images that are on my iMac' s internal 2Tb SSD. Hard to notice any differences here, and I would like to be able to continue working like that (no waiting on loading external files, let alone working on these).

I DO wonder however, how the LaCie d2 Professional would do ("only" usb-c, not Thunderbolt), in this respect. Especially since you mention that I don’t really exploit that Thunderbolt technology. If that doesn’t make any difference in speed, then I might as well buy myself one if these (maybe 10 or 14 Tb).

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more

mujana wrote:

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

I'm wondering why you are planning such a minor upgrade: same interface, only slightly more capacity. Also, this is a single (non-RAID) drive, and not SSD, so it doesn't really exploit the thunderbolt technology. It would be interesting to know what transfer speed you are finding at present.

Thank you Peter.

I' m not that technical , but why doesn't it exploit thunderbolt technology? Not any faster than usb-3 or even (regular) usb-c?

You are mixing up hardware with transmission protocols.  USB-C is a universal cable/connector and as such can support the use of USB-3.x, Thunderbolt 3, etc.  (It is certainly confusing!) So your device may be able to accept a USB-C cable/connector but not support high speed data transfers.

The reason the LaCie d2 and 1Big do not support theoretical thunderbolt speeds is that they are each simply a single platter disc.  A double platter in RAID config. can run the data off in parallel, so much faster, and an SSD will be faster still.  All having the same USB-C connector, but different interface electronics.

All that said, most photographers find the speed of single platter drives (like the d2) to be fine for LightRoom etc.  The only benefit I can think of for having thunderbolt capability would be if you need to daisy chain drives or displays.  People who really need the speed of thunderbolt 3 (e.g. for video editing) are likely to opt for an SSD drive and a computer that supports thunderbolt 3 (on the USB-C port).  The 1Big SSD can transfer at 10 times the best rate of the 1Big you are contemplating, but at a huge cost of course, in $$ and reduced capacity, and almost certainly not needed by the likes of us humble still photogs.

Indeed, not a very impressive upgrade. My 6Tb LaCie D2 Thunderbolt 3 still functions ok. Not a problem (although at one time this drive didn' t show on my iMac anymore. Suddenly solved...by itself). I use several externals. From 2Tb to 4Tb and 6Tb. Except for the 6Tb LaCie (still 3Tb left), all others are "full". So, I need an extra external anyway. Maybe not a massive upgrade.

At the moment it' s easy and fast to surf through my external files, but also working on these files is fast. I can easily switch between (working on) photographs on my LaCie Thunderbolt 3 and images that are on my iMac' s internal 2Tb SSD. Hard to notice any differences here, and I would like to be able to continue working like that (no waiting on loading external files, let alone working on these).

As I said above, you are not experiencing top speed thunderbolt 3 speed capability, and clearly finding it fine, like most of us.

I DO wonder however, how the LaCie d2 Professional would do ("only" usb-c, not Thunderbolt), in this respect. Especially since you mention that I don’t really exploit that Thunderbolt technology. If that doesn’t make any difference in speed, then I might as well buy myself one if these (maybe 10 or 14 Tb).

Exactly!

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,390

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

I put my active projects on a 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSD for 800MB/s throughput. When they're finished, I move them to hard drives for archiving. This gets me speed for editing and capacity for long-term storage in a cost-efficient manner.

The very latest and fastest spinning-platter hard drives manage only 200-250MB/s burst throughput, which does not saturate even a USB 3.0 bus. Using a faster connection (i.e. USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 1, Gen 2 or Gen 2x2 or Thunderbolt) delivers zero advantage unless you have multiple drives configured as RAID 0 or RAID5. OTOH, SSDs, specifically NVME SSDs, definitely benefit from faster connections, as common ones these days can deliver 2000MB/s, which will saturate even USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps).

All of this is a bit academic, though, as I found no speed improvement in batch exporting after I migrated my catalogs and master image files from a 300MB/s USB 3.0 SSD to the 1400MB/s internal SSD of my 2013 Mac Pro.

Long story short, there's no point in paying more for Thunderbolt on a single-mechanism external hard drive. USB 3.0 or better will deliver its full performance.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more

thank you again Peter.

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you Peter.

You are mixing up hardware with transmission protocols. USB-C is a universal cable/connector and as such can support the use of USB-3.x, Thunderbolt 3, etc. (It is certainly confusing!) So your device may be able to accept a USB-C cable/connector but not support high speed data transfers.

The reason the LaCie d2 and 1Big do not support theoretical thunderbolt speeds is that they are each simply a single platter disc. A double platter in RAID config. can run the data off in parallel, so much faster, and an SSD will be faster still. All having the same USB-C connector, but different interface electronics.

All that said, most photographers find the speed of single platter drives (like the d2) to be fine for LightRoom etc. The only benefit I can think of for having thunderbolt capability would be if you need to daisy chain drives or displays. People who really need the speed of thunderbolt 3 (e.g. for video editing) are likely to opt for an SSD drive and a computer that supports thunderbolt 3 (on the USB-C port). The 1Big SSD can transfer at 10 times the best rate of the 1Big you are contemplating, but at a huge cost of course, in $$ and reduced capacity, and almost certainly not needed by the likes of us humble still photogs.

So, if I understand well, the only reason to buy a single platter Thunderbolt external (non ssd) drive is if you want to daisy chain? As a single drive hooked up on the Thunderbolt 3 / usb-c port of an iMac by itself, doesn’t give any speed advantages over usb(?)

As I said above, you are not experiencing top speed thunderbolt 3 speed capability, and clearly finding it fine, like most of us.

Exactly!

that’ s great!

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

I put my active projects on a 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSD for 800MB/s throughput. When they're finished, I move them to hard drives for archiving. This gets me speed for editing and capacity for long-term storage in a cost-efficient manner.

The very latest and fastest spinning-platter hard drives manage only 200-250MB/s burst throughput, which does not saturate even a USB 3.0 bus. Using a faster connection (i.e. USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 1, Gen 2 or Gen 2x2 or Thunderbolt) delivers zero advantage unless you have multiple drives configured as RAID 0 or RAID5. OTOH, SSDs, specifically NVME SSDs, definitely benefit from faster connections, as common ones these days can deliver 2000MB/s, which will saturate even USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps).

All of this is a bit academic, though, as I found no speed improvement in batch exporting after I migrated my catalogs and master image files from a 300MB/s USB 3.0 SSD to the 1400MB/s internal SSD of my 2013 Mac Pro.

Long story short, there's no point in paying more for Thunderbolt on a single-mechanism external hard drive. USB 3.0 or better will deliver its full performance.

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

an external single HD (marketed as Thunderbolt, with Thunderbolt ports and T. cable) connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port on my iMac (which has 2Tb SSD inside), does' t have any speed advantages over an non Thunderbolt external HD (let' s say regular usb-c), connected to this iMac (?)

Saves me money (or I can buy extra storage for the same money)

Jacques Cornell
Correct. [n/t]

mujana wrote:

thank you again Peter.

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you Peter.

You are mixing up hardware with transmission protocols. USB-C is a universal cable/connector and as such can support the use of USB-3.x, Thunderbolt 3, etc. (It is certainly confusing!) So your device may be able to accept a USB-C cable/connector but not support high speed data transfers.

The reason the LaCie d2 and 1Big do not support theoretical thunderbolt speeds is that they are each simply a single platter disc. A double platter in RAID config. can run the data off in parallel, so much faster, and an SSD will be faster still. All having the same USB-C connector, but different interface electronics.

All that said, most photographers find the speed of single platter drives (like the d2) to be fine for LightRoom etc. The only benefit I can think of for having thunderbolt capability would be if you need to daisy chain drives or displays. People who really need the speed of thunderbolt 3 (e.g. for video editing) are likely to opt for an SSD drive and a computer that supports thunderbolt 3 (on the USB-C port). The 1Big SSD can transfer at 10 times the best rate of the 1Big you are contemplating, but at a huge cost of course, in $$ and reduced capacity, and almost certainly not needed by the likes of us humble still photogs.

So, if I understand well, the only reason to buy a single platter Thunderbolt external (non ssd) drive is if you want to daisy chain? As a single drive hooked up on the Thunderbolt 3 / usb-c port of an iMac by itself, doesn’t give any speed advantages over usb(?)

Exactly!

that’ s great!

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Jacques Cornell

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

an external single HD (marketed as Thunderbolt, with Thunderbolt ports and T. cable) connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port on my iMac (which has 2Tb SSD inside), does' t have any speed advantages over an non Thunderbolt external HD (let' s say regular usb-c), connected to this iMac (?)

Correct. USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 Gen 1 (all 5Gbps) or better exceeds the throughput of any single HD I'm aware of.

-- hide signature --

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

Correct. USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 Gen 1 (all 5Gbps) or better exceeds the throughput of any single HD I'm aware of.

Great news...I could even buy myself a 14Tb external then (G-Technology usb-c WD Red inside)...or maybe a 10Tb LaCie d2 Professional (usb-c with a IronWolf Pro inside...5 years warranty + 2 years data recovery).

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,089

mujana wrote:

Great news...I could even buy myself a 14Tb external then (G-Technology usb-c WD Red inside)...or maybe a 10Tb LaCie d2 Professional (usb-c with a IronWolf Pro inside...5 years warranty + 2 years data recovery).

Yes. The LaCie device you have functions as a dock (hence the name) that happens to include a not-that-fast-compared-to-SSD drive inside. The dock functionality is probably most of its value.

And if you need a 14TBish drive look at the WD Easystore drives sold exclusively at BestBuy. PC buyers frequently buy them for shucking (extracting the internal drive for use in their builds) because they very often contain much higher grade drives than one would expect by the cheap price, often server-grade internals. https://www.ifixit.com/News/46724/how-to-find-useful-discounted-disks-inside-an-external-hard-drive It does vary, but I find them great for backup since the price is so low I can afford more of them. And so far the cases have held up well too.

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

I went through a similar upgrade thought process myself a few weeks back.  I considered the LaCie 1Big as a replacement for my (quite old) 4TB LaCie d2, but decided that I would be paying quite a bit just for daisy chaining  and an extra SD card reader, features of the drive that I don't need.  So I opted for the LaCie d2 Professional 10TB.  Should be fine for many years to come!

If I routinely batch processed large numbers of files after a shoot, and my time was more valuable that it is (I'm retired), I would probably use a smaller external SSD for "active" work like Jacques Cornell discusses, or simply use the internal SSD if it was big enough.  Mine is 512GB, but as you have 2TB on your iMac, if you found things to be problematic, you could try out Jacques' strategy.  But it doesn't look like you need to.

robgendreau wrote:

mujana wrote:

Yes. The LaCie device you have functions as a dock (hence the name) that happens to include a not-that-fast-compared-to-SSD drive inside. The dock functionality is probably most of its value.

And if you need a 14TBish drive look at the WD Easystore drives sold exclusively at BestBuy. PC buyers frequently buy them for shucking (extracting the internal drive for use in their builds) because they very often contain much higher grade drives than one would expect by the cheap price, often server-grade internals. https://www.ifixit.com/News/46724/how-to-find-useful-discounted-disks-inside-an-external-hard-drive It does vary, but I find them great for backup since the price is so low I can afford more of them. And so far the cases have held up well too.

Thnxs Rob. I' m in The Netherlands....no BestBuy here.

For me it' s very important that I can work directly on files on that external HD. I do not have to import those files into any program; I use DXO PL 4 and I get to these files and work on these external files without having to import them (as a program like Lightroom wants). Sometimes these files are large (from Sony A7RIV). With my current external hard drive, that' s not a problem at all. So my external sometimes is my working disk.

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

I went through a similar upgrade thought process myself a few weeks back. I considered the LaCie 1Big as a replacement for my (quite old) 4TB LaCie d2, but decided that I would be paying quite a bit just for daisy chaining and an extra SD card reader, features of the drive that I don't need.

That' s right...same thoughts here. I don' t need all those features. I want a fast external drive with large capacity. A drive that can be used for "active" work (as you call it), without any hiccups or waiting. My present LaCie 6Tb thunderbolt 3 does just that...very smooth, like the internal iMac SSD.

So I opted for the LaCie d2 Professional 10TB. Should be fine for many years to come!

I would think so! I read mixt reports about the disk inside that LaCie d2 Professional....IronWolf Pro (with 5 years warranty)? Barracuda? That drive surely is a contender for me. Did you try working from that disk (working on larger photos, maybe working with layers or any other more intensive jobs)?

I also could get a G-Technology 14Tb for about the same money. No idea, which would perform better (faster/more reliable/etc.)

If I routinely batch processed large numbers of files after a shoot, and my time was more valuable that it is (I'm retired), I would probably use a smaller external SSD for "active" work like Jacques Cornell discusses, or simply use the internal SSD if it was big enough. Mine is 512GB, but as you have 2TB on your iMac, if you found things to be problematic, you could try out Jacques' strategy. But it doesn't look like you need to.

I don' t really want to do that, and if a new HD drive works like my current LaCie, that should not be necessary at all. To be honest, I hardly notice any speed differences between working on internal files (SSD) and external files (LaCie).

mujana wrote:

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

I went through a similar upgrade thought process myself a few weeks back. I considered the LaCie 1Big as a replacement for my (quite old) 4TB LaCie d2, but decided that I would be paying quite a bit just for daisy chaining and an extra SD card reader, features of the drive that I don't need.

That' s right...same thoughts here. I don' t need all those features. I want a fast external drive with large capacity. A drive that can be used for "active" work (as you call it), without any hiccups or waiting. My present LaCie 6Tb thunderbolt 3 does just that...very smooth, like the internal iMac SSD.

So I opted for the LaCie d2 Professional 10TB. Should be fine for many years to come!

I would think so! I read mixt reports about the disk inside that LaCie d2 Professional....IronWolf Pro (with 5 years warranty)? Barracuda? That drive surely is a contender for me. Did you try working from that disk (working on larger photos, maybe working with layers or any other more intensive jobs)?

All I can say is that I have had no problems with any of the LaCie disks I own.  And I think the reliability is getting better not worse.  (My wife uses one for time machine that practically belongs in a museum.)  G-Technology is probably fine as well.  I did have a failure on one of these, but it was the drive electronics that failed, and the drive itself worked fine after being put into a new case.  It is still going fine after 14 years, only my wife's drive is older.

I use PhotoShop and Lightroom, with files that are generally 40MB to 150MB in size.  The software moves the file into RAM for actual work, so the perceived impact on the user of image complexity due to the number of layers, etc. does not depend on disk speed, but rather graphics capability, RAM, CPU, and of course how well the software is designed to use these components.

I also could get a G-Technology 14Tb for about the same money. No idea, which would perform better (faster/more reliable/etc.)

If I routinely batch processed large numbers of files after a shoot, and my time was more valuable that it is (I'm retired), I would probably use a smaller external SSD for "active" work like Jacques Cornell discusses, or simply use the internal SSD if it was big enough. Mine is 512GB, but as you have 2TB on your iMac, if you found things to be problematic, you could try out Jacques' strategy. But it doesn't look like you need to.

I don' t really want to do that, and if a new HD drive works like my current LaCie, that should not be necessary at all. To be honest, I hardly notice any speed differences between working on internal files (SSD) and external files (LaCie).

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

All I can say is that I have had no problems with any of the LaCie disks I own. And I think the reliability is getting better not worse. (My wife uses one for time machine that practically belongs in a museum.) G-Technology is probably fine as well. I did have a failure on one of these, but it was the drive electronics that failed, and the drive itself worked fine after being put into a new case. It is still going fine after 14 years, only my wife's drive is older.

Wow, that' s a LONG time! My LaCie is from December 2018....

Both strong contenders.

I use PhotoShop and Lightroom, with files that are generally 40MB to 150MB in size. The software moves the file into RAM for actual work, so the perceived impact on the user of image complexity due to the number of layers, etc. does not depend on disk speed, but rather graphics capability, RAM, CPU, and of course how well the software is designed to use these components.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,890

mujana wrote:

I would hardly call that an advantage, since if the goal was to add more low (USB) bandwidth peripherals, there are cheaper ways to do it. Instead of buying an expensive Thunderbolt 3 dock with a hard drive built into it, you could instead buy a much cheaper USB 3 external hard drive, and also a Thunderbolt/USB dock adding more ports for expansion. If the main need is to add more Thunderbolt devices, there is no real reason to involve that slow hard drive in the path. You could just hang a cheap external hard drive off a dock.

I could see buying the LaCie Big if the Mac does not have enough ports, like if it is a MacBook Air, and you need to connect both mass storage plus external displays and external SSDs. Then the LaCie Big could be the unifying dock for all that stuff, with the 40Gb/sec of Thunderbolt bandwidth available to feed the bandwidth-hungry displays and the SSDs behind it with minimal delay. But if the primary need is for a external hard drive and you already  have all the other ports you need, it is so much cheaper to just get the external drive alone as USB.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,890

mujana wrote:

For me it' s very important that I can work directly on files on that external HD. I do not have to import those files into any program; I use DXO PL 4 and I get to these files and work on these external files without having to import them (as a program like Lightroom wants). Sometimes these files are large (from Sony A7RIV). With my current external hard drive, that' s not a problem at all. So my external sometimes is my working disk.

Not sure what you mean there if you are referring to Lightroom Classic. There is no problem working on files on externals with Classic. All my photos are on an external. Classic deals very well with those. With Classic all “import” means is to reference the file paths, if the Add option is used there is no moving or copying of files. It leaves them where they are. If files on multiple externals are “imported” no problem, each hard drive has its own heading at the top level of the Folders panel with its own folder tree underneath.

The advantage of that is because Classic retains the file paths, it is possible to see those images in the catalog file list even if the external is not connected. If Smart Previews are used then it is also possible to edit photos on an external when the actual hard drive is not connected, using the Smart Preview as a proxy, the edits are applied to the original when the external is reconnected. Compared to using a file browser, using LRC with external drives has those definite advantages, and no disadvantages.

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

I went through a similar upgrade thought process myself a few weeks back. I considered the LaCie 1Big as a replacement for my (quite old) 4TB LaCie d2, but decided that I would be paying quite a bit just for daisy chaining and an extra SD card reader, features of the drive that I don't need. So I opted for the LaCie d2 Professional 10TB. Should be fine for many years to come!

Yesterday I ordered exactly that same drive (LaCie d2 Professional 10Tb). Should be here tomorrow. Thank you again for your help!

Update

mujana wrote:

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

Thank you!

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

I went through a similar upgrade thought process myself a few weeks back. I considered the LaCie 1Big as a replacement for my (quite old) 4TB LaCie d2, but decided that I would be paying quite a bit just for daisy chaining and an extra SD card reader, features of the drive that I don't need. So I opted for the LaCie d2 Professional 10TB. Should be fine for many years to come!

Yesterday I ordered exactly that same drive (LaCie d2 Professional 10Tb). Should be here tomorrow. Thank you again for your help!

Unfortunately...DOA :-(....I've send it back and waiting for  new one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads