Strange Lightroom Classic "performance issue"

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
vett93
vett93 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,074
Strange Lightroom Classic "performance issue"

For quite some time, I have been trying to improve the LR Classic performance (e.g., responsiveness to adjustments) after I upgraded to two 4K monitors. The symptom is sluggish response to adjustments and frequent multiple beach balls. It is bad to a stage that I don't use the 2nd monitor when I do photo editing. I have been using my Sony A9's RAW files that have 24MP images.

I thought my MP 6,1 with 10-cores and 64GB RAM was aging and needed upgrade. Then last night I saw FroKnowsPhoto's YouTube video and decided to download his A7R4's RAW files (61MP). To my big surprise, these 61MP RAW files work fine with my MP6,1! With two 4K monitors, it just works smoothly just like how I remembered.

How do I further debug my configuration? These A7R4 RAW files are in DNG format and my A7 RAW files are in ARW format. That is the only difference I can find.

-- hide signature --

"Keep calm and take photos"
Photography enthusiast, from 12mm to 600mm
Mac Pro 6,1 10-core/64GB RAM/2TB SSD/24" 27" 32" 43" monitors

vett93's gear list:vett93's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6500 Apple iPhone 11 Pro
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,486
Re: Strange Lightroom Classic "performance issue"

That's something I have never heard of in 13 years of using LR/LrC.

One thing to try is to use LrC to convert a few of your photos to DNG. You should try that in both basic DNG and DNG with the original embedded.

Is it possible, that some of the DNGs were imported with smart previews? Have you tried smart previews on your own raw files?

Edited to add, is your computer configuration exactly the same for processing both types? Could some be in a folder that is being filtered through an antivirus or something like that. Other programs running? Like 20 tabs in Chrome?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
vett93
OP vett93 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,074

Ken Seals wrote:

That's something I have never heard of in 13 years of using LR/LrC.

One thing to try is to use LrC to convert a few of your photos to DNG. You should try that in both basic DNG and DNG with the original embedded.

I converted A9 RAW files to DNG format and they are slow as well. I tried some of my A7R3 files (42MP) and they are slow too. But the 61MP files in this link work smoothly: https://froknowsphoto.com/sigma85dn/

Try the zip 1 download.

Is it possible, that some of the DNGs were imported with smart previews? Have you tried smart previews on your own raw files?

I have never used smart preview before. What does it do?

Edited to add, is your computer configuration exactly the same for processing both types? Could some be in a folder that is being filtered through an antivirus or something like that. Other programs running? Like 20 tabs in Chrome?

The comparison has the same computer configuration. In fact, it is in the same session that I switch between 24MP A9 files and 61MP A7R4 files. The large files are faster.... Very odd...

-- hide signature --

dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,387

Are you performing the exact same edits on the 61MP photos and the other photos? Or are you performing local adjustments on one set of photos but not the other?

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
vett93

dj_paige wrote:

Are you performing the exact same edits on the 61MP photos and the other photos? Or are you performing local adjustments on one set of photos but not the other?

Same adjustments. Spot removal is used for both file sizes. They are in the same LRC Library too.

-- hide signature --

vett93

vett93 wrote:

I have never used smart preview before. What does it do?

I just tried smart preview on my RAW files. It does not make a difference. In other words, my RAW files are still much slower than larger RAW files.

-- hide signature --

vett93
Please try these two RAW files

One is from my A9 and the other one is from FroKnowsPhoto's download site:

A9: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/peJRNFXMECVlROj8Cv8srASl9zAtH83asmSKk8XXGjh

A7R4: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ihfHVySfYeVBwx3aycdTX3Ni71YNrPRueu0Izij6Xy9

Then use spot removal tool in Lightroom Classic. The A7R4 file works much faster in my Mac Pro 6,1.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads