Snowy landscapes and trees

Started 3 months ago | Photos
jkjond
jkjond Forum Pro • Posts: 10,145
Snowy landscapes and trees

We woke up to the best covering of snow we've had in a few years, there was a chance of some but we didn't expect this much. Knowing it would soon be melting from the tree branches I was keen to get up onto the fell deciding to give the big camera equipment some exercise. With zero weddings for a year the old nikon's haven't seen much use.

I'd forgotten how much I hate carrying a set of lenses and tripod around having got used to my Olly with single do it all zoom and effective IS, but it is nice to slow things down and set up a tripod for each shot. 140 taken, a lot of crap but quite pleased with a handful.

Minimal processing on all these. WB was the main issue, I wasn't keen on the postcard blue cast favoured by my camera.

Spring Bank Farm. I've photographed it a few times from the other side, but the mist and snow opened up a new opportunity.

Though clear when I first looked out of our window, the mist was rising. Atmospheric by the time I reached the first trees.

The same group of trees. I've been photographing this group for years. They don't change much, but today were treated to some colour. Not that they notice.

When the sun broke through the mist I was tempted to call it a day and head for home. But using it to backlight some trees proved effective.

And a final shot looking back down to Spring Bank Farm, Morecambe Bay starting to appear in the background though it soon disappeared again.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com
You are welcome to reprocess and repost my pics on DPR.

richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,356
Re: Snowy landscapes and trees

jkjond wrote:

The same group of trees. I've been photographing this group for years. They don't change much, but today were treated to some colour. Not that they notice.

What a treat to have such a nice scene to photograph over a period of time. Nice work!

I like to do that. It reminds me of painters who have created a series, such as Claude Monet's Haystacks, and Rouen Cathedral, showing various lighting and weather conditions.

- Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
jkjond
OP jkjond Forum Pro • Posts: 10,145

richj20 wrote:

jkjond wrote:

What a treat to have such a nice scene to photograph over a period of time. Nice work!

I like to do that. It reminds me of painters who have created a series, such as Claude Monet's Haystacks, and Rouen Cathedral, showing various lighting and weather conditions.

- Richard

Thanks Richard. Photographing the same landscapes in different conditions is a great way to learn about light. I've been photographing Morecambe Bay from our bedroom windows since my first digital camera in 2006.

https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Grange-over-Sands/

-- hide signature --

Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 7,089

The fourth image is superb.

Peter Del

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
stevie wonder
stevie wonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,199

Absolutely beautiful, well done.

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,643

jkjond wrote:

A very nice set; but this image really sings to me. Stunning shot!

They're forecasting snow down here in the south tomorrow too; so it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) actually arrives. It is currently below freezing here, although not by much; so snow is a possibility.

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,877

jkjond wrote:

Wow, this one is a real beauty. Many of the other images you posted are well done too, but this one is really something!

-
Thanks,
Mike
https://www.instagram.com/mikefinleyco/

mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Leswick II Senior Member • Posts: 1,677

Indeed, the backlit tree is really nice.

MVDH
MVDH Senior Member • Posts: 1,091

That 4rd photo really stands out for me - beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

MVDH's gear list:MVDH's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
WhiskeyBeforeBreakfast Senior Member • Posts: 1,154

While the fourth image is nice, my preference is for the third. The mist that softens the colors and isolates the trees gives the image a wonderful contemplative feel.

Nicely done.

jkjond
Thanks for all your comments and thumbs

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. The popularity of the back lit tree, the easiest of all the shots to take and process - as always, there's no beating being in the right place at the right time. Just enough mist to give the atmosphere, it was clear on the LCD this one worked well.

@Lan - I hope you got your covering and got out to enjoy it. Ours is still here, no serious photography today but some fun on the sledge

@WhiskeyBB... Thanks for the extra like for the third. The colour is such an important aspect of that one.

The two of the farm. I don't expect those to be popular, the first is one of those indulgent shots which means more to me than it ever will to anyone else. It reminds me a bit of a fave Bill Brandt shot of a row of houses in Halifax with no windows to the fronts, and also (obscurely) of a Tony Ray-Jones shot of a terrace house in Wales where the resident had thoughtfully cleared the snow off the path to the entire frontage of his house but nobody else in the terrace had done theirs.

The final one of the farm, it is worth pointing out how the mist has filled Morecambe Bay in all but the top left corner. You can see the sun reflecting off the water just below the white cloud. Slightly surreal. It is the only shot in this batch were I'd have liked to have had my Olly with me as I have an effective 300mm reach with that - one of those scenes that was magnificent to view but tricky to find an ideal vantage point - the extra reach would have given me more options.

-- hide signature --

Rabster64 Contributing Member • Posts: 697

Just the sort of images that I really like. Again to your usual high standard John. Number 4 is the standout for me with 2 and 3 in joint second. There’s something about the first that really appeals even though I don’t think it should and even though in last place for 5, I would have been fair chuffed if I had taken it myself. An enjoyable set.

jkjond

Thanks Bill

Long winded explanation:

The 4th is very immediate, no secrets, 'in your face'. If I was only posting one shot from the day that would likely be the one.

Buuuuut, the first, ah, that one is striving to be something else. It if the first one I processed from the day, the one that intrigued me most. Ultimately, not quite the shot I was after, and makes me wonder if what I wanted actually exists as it is close.

One of the qualities I rate most highly in photography is mystique or intrigue. Shots which asks questions and the viewer either delves into it to make sense of it, or passes it by. Some of the very best shots will ask questions which need to be asked, but can't be answered There's a live thread elsewhere on here where someone is questioning whether a shot needs a story... of course it doesn't, but in most cases the result is a snapshot - nothing wrong with a snapshot unless you want a shot to delve into.

For my shot to have succeeded I'd have had to resolve the 4th element - the main three are quite well set up - I doubt I could have improved on the tree line, but the house and metal fence are separated by a hedge. An element too many which is confusing the relationship between the house and fence. The other way of looking at this is to say the 4th element is debatable, is it the fence or the hedge? The shot would work better with either... but is there an opportunity to make the awkward relationship and contrast between the two the real subject of the shot? Dunno, but it is a five minute walk from here so it is something I'll look at. [edit, just been up there; is there a shot? No, or at least not today!]

When I consider the end result I'm also disappointed in my exact positioning. There is a relationship between the two windows and fence post which would have made a nice face, plus the relationship between the tall chimney stack and post below it isn't fully resolved. I'm only a step to the side short of getting those two areas to work far better.

The shot I was looking for when I took this did not involve the fence/hedge at all, I wanted to be higher up the hill to photograph the house with faint tree line behind, but the hill isn't steep enough to clear the foreground. Much higher and other clutter comes into play - I'm already compromised by an ugly scraggy tree just off to the left. I debated whether to include the end of the house on the right or not, the safe solution would have been to crop it out.

Composition, my approach revolves around content and relationships - it only takes one misplaced element to cock up the whole pic.

If I'd have taken this set 10 years ago and was only posting the one, the first would be my choice - and I'd have happily received no reaction

-- hide signature --

jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,635

Wonderful shots and a great idea to take advantage of fleeting opportunities.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,814

Beautiful set

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Lumens77 Regular Member • Posts: 264

Very nice 2 3 and 4. Atmosphere rendering is great.

-- hide signature --

Lumens77 - Lumens Pixel on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lumens_pixel/

Lumens77's gear list:Lumens77's gear list
Sony a7 II +24 more
Rabster64 Contributing Member • Posts: 697

Cheers John, you know what you’re doing when it comes to photography and I can see what you’re saying in your last post. It’s nice to have good shot where everything works but sometimes it’s the personal shots, even if they don’t quite work, that give the photographer the most satisfaction on a personal level.

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,643
Re: Thanks for all your comments and thumbs

jkjond wrote:

@Lan - I hope you got your covering and got out to enjoy it. Ours is still here, no serious photography today but some fun on the sledge

Thank you - we had a good dusting on Sunday, but it's gone again now!

The final one of the farm, it is worth pointing out how the mist has filled Morecambe Bay in all but the top left corner. You can see the sun reflecting off the water just below the white cloud. Slightly surreal.

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out to me; that's really cool. That shot is now joint first with the backlit tree IMO. I agree that finding the sea there is definitely surreal - I know Slartibartfast was supposed to do the fjords and the like; but I'm starting to think MC Escher actually did your area

jkjond
Re: Thanks for all your comments and thumbs

Lan wrote:

jkjond wrote:

Thank you - we had a good dusting on Sunday, but it's gone again now!

The final one of the farm, it is worth pointing out how the mist has filled Morecambe Bay in all but the top left corner. You can see the sun reflecting off the water just below the white cloud. Slightly surreal.

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out to me; that's really cool. That shot is now joint first with the backlit tree IMO. I agree that finding the sea there is definitely surreal - I know Slartibartfast was supposed to do the fjords and the like; but I'm starting to think MC Escher actually did your area

Ahhh, life without Adams

-- hide signature --

jkjond

Absolutely, that's why the technicals are of little interest, the technical side never stirs my emotions.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads