18-55mm....perhaps not so bad after all!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dweeble Regular Member • Posts: 459
18-55mm....perhaps not so bad after all!

It's easy to be sniffy about the l'il thing, but I wanted a wide angle shot yesterday so popped it on...and do you know, it really sang! It was one of the first two lenses I got (on the back of the Rockwell review, and it being cheap and versatile)....and actually got some lovely images.....then started feeling it was a bit beneath my dignity and left it to gather dust.

But in truth it's quite loveable.

Who agrees?

Dweeble's gear list:Dweeble's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,376
Re: 18-55mm....perhaps not so bad after all!

Dweeble wrote:

It's easy to be sniffy about the l'il thing, but I wanted a wide angle shot yesterday so popped it on...and do you know, it really sang! It was one of the first two lenses I got (on the back of the Rockwell review, and it being cheap and versatile)....and actually got some lovely images.....then started feeling it was a bit beneath my dignity and left it to gather dust.

But in truth it's quite loveable.

Who agrees?

I do !.......... I shoot mostly 600mm F4E which in itself is a enough of a burden without thinking of a medium quality zoom to carry with it ..........

It was shipping as a kit with the budget Nikon bodies ..... if the buyer chose another lens the 18-55mm was superfluous in it's white box ......

Small, collapsible, light, sharp and super fast focusing I cannot think of a better bargain general lens than this kit version  ...... I ordered grey market for 60 euros including postage ........... inc caps and hood .......

How can anyone have made on profit on it ??

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +17 more
Windancer
Windancer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,575

Dweeble wrote:

.....then started feeling it was a bit beneath my dignity and left it to gather dust.

The old saying goes the best lens is the one on your camera. Yes there are Nikkors that are sharper and better but if that's all you have don't worry about it.

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163431383@N02/
Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +21 more
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,148

I understand it's good within its limitations.

I also understand that it works somewhat on full frame and I would like to try one for that.  I had a 28-50 long ago on my film camera, a small and light lens.  I haven't found a modern equivalent for full frame digital but the 18-55 might do that.

JamesRL Senior Member • Posts: 2,381

Try the AF 28-70 f3.5 - 4.5D. It is smaller than the 18-55mm, decent sharpness, faster at the long end.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
OP Dweeble Regular Member • Posts: 459

No, the 35-70 2.8 fills that range nicely. 18-55 works fine on FF but the D3S autocrops, so you lose the nice wideness.....and goodbye to any viable cropability!

Dweeble's gear list:Dweeble's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
chulster
chulster Contributing Member • Posts: 971

bjn70 wrote:

I also understand that it works somewhat on full frame and I would like to try one for that. I had a 28-50 long ago on my film camera, a small and light lens. I haven't found a modern equivalent for full frame digital but the 18-55 might do that.

I use the AF-P 18-55mm VR almost exclusively when I have to shoot the occasional video. AF-P is good for video because it focuses quickly and silently, even with the contrast-detect autofocus that most Nikon DSLRs must resort to in video mode. The lens is more than sharp enough for video, and unlike the case with stills, I lose no resolution when shooting video in DX crop mode.

The consensus modern equivalent on FX is the AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, but it doesn't have the same quick focusing as the AF-P 18-55mm.

I have a 35-70 as well but I always seem to want wider. I would not try the 18-55 on my fx camera. I have an 18-35 Nikkor but not the G one, and I am not very happy with it.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Cycletourer Regular Member • Posts: 456

Whilst I've some dearer glass within the range, I was a grateful early adopter of the AF-P trinity  (unholy?).

No regrets here and if I damaged or lost any of them, I replace them with the same in a heartbeat.

Cycletourer's gear list:Cycletourer's gear list
Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Nikerman Junior Member • Posts: 40

I would like to add that in many fx dslr, like d610, you can disable the auto dx,and this little lens can cover from 24mm to 50mm without vignetting,in full resolution 24mp.

Nikerman's gear list:Nikerman's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D7100
chulster

Nikerman wrote:

I would like to add that in many fx dslr, like d610, you can disable the auto dx,and this little lens can cover from 24mm to 50mm without vignetting,in full resolution 24mp.

Well... you won't get hard black corners at 24mm, but vignetting there is, and it's heavy. It's more reasonable at 28mm.

Nikerman Junior Member • Posts: 40

It can be removed very easy in post/processing.

In z cameras you cannot disable auto dx mode.

Nikerman's gear list:Nikerman's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D7100
fpapp
fpapp Contributing Member • Posts: 895

bjn70 wrote:

I also understand that it works somewhat on full frame and I would like to try one for that. I had a 28-50 long ago on my film camera, a small and light lens. I haven't found a modern equivalent for full frame digital but the 18-55 might do that.

If you want a light, small, and cheap lens for FX, try the Nikon AF 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G.

It's surprisingly good for what it is!

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II +53 more

Optically the AF-P version is apparently mich better than the older AF-S versions.

That's what I want- small and light 24-50, or even 28-50.

I can't relate to the auto dx since none of my DX lenses will trigger it in my D750 or D810.

chulster

bjn70 wrote:

I can't relate to the auto dx since none of my DX lenses will trigger it in my D750 or D810.

Then you must have disabled Auto DX Crop. It's on by default.

Then you must have disabled Auto DX Crop. It's on by default.

I've checked it both ways and it didn't matter.  My DX lenses predate full frame sensors so I'm thinking that there is a difference in the chip(s) in the lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads