Downloading with Meike Grip on Sony A6500

Started 3 months ago | Questions
jimsfenc New Member • Posts: 3
Downloading with Meike Grip on Sony A6500

Good day. I have recently purchased a Meike Battery Grip for my A6500 and I am quite pleases with it except for 1 thing. If I unplug the small cable from the usb port and connect to the computer I can't download the images. At the moment I am removing the grip, taking the sd card to a reader and then reversing the process. I am a bit wary of doing this regularly with a plastic grip because I think eventually something is going to go wrong. Is it just my setup or is this the normal thing. What is everyone else doing?

jimsfenc's gear list:jimsfenc's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,521
Re: Downloading with Meike Grip on Sony A6500

jimsfenc wrote:

Good day. I have recently purchased a Meike Battery Grip for my A6500 and I am quite pleases with it except for 1 thing. If I unplug the small cable from the usb port and connect to the computer I can't download the images. At the moment I am removing the grip, taking the sd card to a reader and then reversing the process. I am a bit wary of doing this regularly with a plastic grip because I think eventually something is going to go wrong. Is it just my setup or is this the normal thing. What is everyone else doing?

I have the Vello battery grip for my A6500 and I think it’s similar to your Meike. I do the same thing like you in removing the grip to take out the SD card. I don’t think there’s any other way to download the images. Maybe another person can enlighten us.

BTW, I like the battery grip from an ergonomic standpoint particularly in shooting portraits with heavy and big lenses. It’s just a hassle that it’s still somewhat dependent on the charge of the battery in the A6500.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +13 more
mcraige New Member • Posts: 24

I have the Neewer VG-A6500RC battery grip and I tried 5 or 6 microUSB cables before I found one that would work.  For most of them, I would plug them into the camera and into my Windows computer and it would do nothing.  When I found the correct one, as soon as I plugged it in, my computer "beeped" and found the new device.  The one that works has the letter 'B' on the microUSB connector, if that helps.

mcraige's gear list:mcraige's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Jeff Style Contributing Member • Posts: 849

Yes, it is the usb cord being used. I have several USB cords but if I don't use the actual one that came with the camera, it won't even show it is connected LOL. I put a piece of green tape on the Sony camera USB cables to I can immediately know which to use to download from a Sony body...I avoid removing the after market grip unless I really want/need to.

Jeff Style's gear list:Jeff Style's gear list
Samsung NX300 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
OP jimsfenc New Member • Posts: 3

I am starting to think that it may be the usb cable I am using. Apparently the A6500 is very choosey about which cable it likes.

Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
OP jimsfenc New Member • Posts: 3

I have found the answer to my problem - it's the usb settings in the menu. The usb has to be set as "mass storage". If you want to use the remote program you need to change the usb settings. this is the help file from Sony. https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0001273875.html

mcraige New Member • Posts: 24

That didn't work for me.  I tried all of the various settings, even unplugging / plugging the cable and turning the camera off / on between settings.  Once I found the "magic" cable, it works with the "auto" setting.

mcraige's gear list:mcraige's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads