E-M1 Mark II: residual software issues ?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 10,191
E-M1 Mark II: residual software issues ?

I bought the Mark II new in Dec 2016 and have installed each new FW release.

But still on occasion the camera suffers a weird problem where it becomes unresponsive to certain control buttons.

Thus time it was the Menu button . . .

A few days ago, with the camera powered up and  functioning normally I switched from C2 to M mode using the main control dial and then immediately pressed the Menu button as I was trying to compare a setting in C2 with what the camera had in M.

[maybe I pressed Menu before the camera had effected its internal mode switch]

But the camera refused to respond to the Menu button.

The Super Control Panel was displayed on the rear screen and the EVF eye detect switch was functioning normally. The SCP was working and I could make changes to settings.

With the rear screen open and SCP displayed the Menu button should bring the Menu to the rear screen, but this didn’t work. Closing the rear screen and using the EVF still no Menu !

The camera appeared to be otherwise fully functional,  but no menu.

I needed to switch the camera OFF/ON to get the Menu button to work.

I’ve only seen this kind of problem a couple of times in the last few years, and while Olympus was still issuing FW updates for the Mark 2 I wasn’t  really concerned - I figured that the bug would eventually be removed.

QUESTION: has anyone else experienced similar issues with their E-M1 II ?

Peter

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
luisflorit
luisflorit Veteran Member • Posts: 8,358
I do!

I am experiencing problems, too. Sometimes the camera does not respond, sometimes it refuses to turn on: only battery appears for 5 seconds, and it turns off.

It didn't occur me to blame the firmware. It seems to me it is the IBIS.

Maybe someone has an old firmware to flash?

L.

-- hide signature --
 luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus E-M1 +3 more
Noam Gordon Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: E-M1 Mark II: residual software issues ?

A faulty SD card could make the camera misbehave. Try changing to a fresh card one and see if it helps.

Noam Gordon's gear list:Noam Gordon's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
FW Scharpf Regular Member • Posts: 499

I had similar problems, and they disappeared when I formated  the SD card

FW Scharpf's gear list:FW Scharpf's gear list
Sony a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
luisflorit

FW Scharpf wrote:

I had similar problems, and they disappeared when I formated the SD card

Let's hope!

Thanks,

L.

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus E-M1 +3 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,357

Messier Object wrote:

But still on occasion the camera suffers a weird problem where it becomes unresponsive to certain control buttons.

A few days ago, with the camera powered up and functioning normally I switched from C2 to M mode using the main control dial and then immediately pressed the Menu button as I was trying to compare a setting in C2 with what the camera had in M.

The Super Control Panel was displayed on the rear screen and the EVF eye detect switch was functioning normally. The SCP was working and I could make changes to settings.

With the rear screen open and SCP displayed the Menu button should bring the Menu to the rear screen, but this didn’t work. Closing the rear screen and using the EVF still no Menu !

The camera appeared to be otherwise fully functional, but no menu.

I’ve only seen this kind of problem a couple of times in the last few years, and while Olympus was still issuing FW updates for the Mark 2 I wasn’t really concerned - I figured that the bug would eventually be removed.

Peter

Try turning off the SCP view and then pressing the menu.

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +7 more
luisflorit

JDLaing50 wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

A few days ago, with the camera powered up and functioning normally I switched from C2 to M mode using the main control dial and then immediately pressed the Menu button as I was trying to compare a setting in C2 with what the camera had in M.

The camera appeared to be otherwise fully functional, but no menu.

I’ve only seen this kind of problem a couple of times in the last few years, and while Olympus was still issuing FW updates for the Mark 2 I wasn’t really concerned - I figured that the bug would eventually be removed.

Peter

Try turning off the SCP view and then pressing the menu.

I don't use (and never used) the SCP. Not very useful for RAW shooters.

L.

-- hide signature --
mchnz Senior Member • Posts: 1,573

Things that have made my Olympus cameras misbehave:

• Faulty body - the fix was a warranty replacement (E-M1 II) or service (E-M5 II, E-520).
  • Bad SDcard - the fix was formatting in camera or replacing.
  • Bad lens contacts - the fix was cleaning the contacts (normal lenses) or more sanding (some cheap extension tubes).  This problem is even more likely if there is a lens adapter or teleconverter in the mix.
  • Changing lenses without powering down - the fix is toggling the power or in some cases removing the battery.
  • Bad battery contacts - theoretical issue only,  I'm still waiting to be bitten by this one.
OP Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 10,191

mchnz wrote:

Things that have made my Olympus cameras misbehave:

• Faulty body - the fix was a warranty replacement (E-M1 II) or service (E-M5 II, E-520).
  • Bad SDcard - the fix was formatting in camera or replacing.
  • Bad lens contacts - the fix was cleaning the contacts (normal lenses) or more sanding (some cheap extension tubes). This problem is even more likely if there is a lens adapter or teleconverter in the mix.
  • Changing lenses without powering down - the fix is toggling the power or in some cases removing the battery.
  • Bad battery contacts - theoretical issue only, I'm still waiting to be bitten by this one.

I’ve never had a problem with the E-M1 II triggered by or associated with taking a picture, so I doubt that the SD card is the cause. Besides, I’ve never used any high speed SDs (never felt a need to waste money in them) and I’ve only ever formatted or deleted images from the SD in-camera.

On the rare occasion I’ve neglected to de-power  when changing lenses I’ve not seen a problem.

In this latest case the camera appeared fully functional apart from the Menu button.

on a previous occasion the camera would’nt let me change drive modes.

Every time it’s happened I’ve been in a hurry to get the camera working, so I’ve just switched it off or removed the batteries. Next time I’ll try to spend more time investigating the issue.

thanks for your input

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads