Before or After- Smoky Mountain River

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,758
Before or After- Smoky Mountain River

Which is the more print worthy file?

Original DPP4 edit with standard color profile and highlights and shadows tweaked.

Some dodge, some burn, some sponge applied in Affinity Photo. Dodged the highlights, burned the shadows, and did a bit of vibrancy and saturation to the greens (then dialed the yellow down a bit in the green).

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +7 more
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,068
Re: Before or After- Smoky Mountain River

# 2 gets a slight plus from me.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,405

#2 is better. In film, you would get best results with an 81B warming filter in a scene like this.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 361

#2 👍🏻

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,643

Another vote for #2.

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,877

JustUs7 wrote:

Which is the more print worthy file?

Original DPP4 edit with standard color profile and highlights and shadows tweaked.

Some dodge, some burn, some sponge applied in Affinity Photo. Dodged the highlights, burned the shadows, and did a bit of vibrancy and saturation to the greens (then dialed the yellow down a bit in the green).

The major change I see in the 2nd version is you have raised the white level of the highlights in the water quite a bit which looks better in my opinion. The next biggest improvement I see is you increased the saturation in the bright foliage.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
KWEnz Regular Member • Posts: 448

No. 2 does it for me.  Nice photo BTW.

-- hide signature --

Ken

KWEnz's gear list:KWEnz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,904

Definitely #2.  I can see a trend here.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EOS M6 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
OP JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,758

Thanks for the votes. I put the same vote in another thread and reversed the order. #1 is winning that vote (no surprise).

Ultimately went with #2 of course.  With a slight variation that I left the dark area of the woods alone and didn’t burn it.  In the end, it’s dark enough on its own. Toned down the dodging just a bit.

What I liked most about this exercise is that it told me that maybe I can do a bit more advanced editing. 
I’m also learning, without calibration, over saturation on my monitor tones down on my print and ends up at more of a happy medium.

We’ll see how the M1 mini and new LG 4K show things this week!

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +7 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,814

Both are great. I like # 2 with a bit more light in the trees.

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads