Help with Mac OS mail issue

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,908
Help with Mac OS mail issue

I have a 2010 MB Pro that I'm still using for a lot of things.  Here is what I want to do:

* Move one particular email folder with all its years of email over to my newer MB Pro.  I'd like to be able to copy the folder to a USB drive and then copy the folder from there to my new MB Pro.

Can I do it like this?  How would I get that folder to show up on the side bar of the new MB Pro just like it is on the old one?  Are there any hidden files that would go along with it?

Other possible complication.  This folder currently lives in the Apple mail of my 2010 MB Pro which is using OS 10.11.6.  The newer MBPro has High Sierra on it.

I've read a few things online, but they seem designed to move the whole mail thing over rather than just one particular file like I'm trying to do.

The only other thing I can think of to do is forward each email to myself so it will show up in my current email, then create another folder on my newer Mac.

Suggestions appreciated!

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D500 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D700 +17 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,096
Re: Help with Mac OS mail issue

CMCM wrote:

I have a 2010 MB Pro that I'm still using for a lot of things. Here is what I want to do:

* Move one particular email folder with all its years of email over to my newer MB Pro. I'd like to be able to copy the folder to a USB drive and then copy the folder from there to my new MB Pro.

Can I do it like this? How would I get that folder to show up on the side bar of the new MB Pro just like it is on the old one? Are there any hidden files that would go along with it?

Other possible complication. This folder currently lives in the Apple mail of my 2010 MB Pro which is using OS 10.11.6. The newer MBPro has High Sierra on it.

I've read a few things online, but they seem designed to move the whole mail thing over rather than just one particular file like I'm trying to do.

The only other thing I can think of to do is forward each email to myself so it will show up in my current email, then create another folder on my newer Mac.

Suggestions appreciated!

Been a long time since I used a system that old, but maybe export it? https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/import-or-export-mailboxes-mlhlp1030/mac

lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,090

Assuming that the underpinnings of Mail remain unchanged, you can try duplicating the folder and moving it to the same location on the other Mac.  I wouldn't expect there to be hidden files associated with the folder containing messages.

Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,864

Is the Mail File/Folder on your device or iCloud? Highlite the emails and drag n drop to a desktop folder or direct to a thumb drive/external hd..  Regards, L

-- hide signature --

Being Disabled, Photography is my way of telling the World "I Am Alive" ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
P Harg Forum Member • Posts: 94

Just some thoughts:

* Is you email Pop rather than IMAP. If IMAP you don't need to do anything apart from set up the new Mail app with the relevant account.

* If not currently IMAP why not create one, e.g. GMAIL, and set it up on your old computer. Then drag the folder you want copied to the new email account using the Mail app.Tthen set that GMAIL account up on the new computer and your messages will appear.

* If you know how to copy all the emails over from machine to the other (as you say in your post), just do that and delete the folders on the new computer you don't want.

-- hide signature --

Peter

BigDG Regular Member • Posts: 103

I had this problem and I called Apple Support and they walked me through it.  This is what Support is good at.

OP CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,908

P Harg wrote:

Just some thoughts:

* Is you email Pop rather than IMAP. If IMAP you don't need to do anything apart from set up the new Mail app with the relevant account.

* If not currently IMAP why not create one, e.g. GMAIL, and set it up on your old computer. Then drag the folder you want copied to the new email account using the Mail app.Tthen set that GMAIL account up on the new computer and your messages will appear.

* If you know how to copy all the emails over from machine to the other (as you say in your post), just do that and delete the folders on the new computer you don't want.

This folder is for my Ancestry research, and is mostly IMAP emails.

I'm wondering if there is a difference between exporting the folder and just dragging the folder to an external drive.

I've noticed that by creating the folders and dragging an email into it, it appears to be "safe" from deletion as would happen in the regular inbox.

On my new computer, I don't really use my email much (yet), but emails flow into it same as on the older one that I mostly use for email.

As I said, what I'd like to do is just copy over that folder with all its contents to the second computer, leave them in both places.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D500 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D700 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads