Anyone know where this is taken?

Started Jan 22, 2021 | Questions
tarakanchik Senior Member • Posts: 1,063
Anyone know where this is taken?

Found this cool image on 500px. Tried to do all sorts of google image searches / translations / etc. but wasn't able to come up with the location.

https://500px.com/photo/1023383121/%E5%A4%A9%E7%A5%9E%E7%A7%98%E5%A2%83-by-%E7%9C%AF%E7%9C%BC%E7%BC%84%E9%BB%98-null

Here's the image itself

(C) 眯眼缄默

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,653
Re: Anyone know where this is taken?

this is a beautiful image! i can't tell for certain, but it looks like somewhere up in Canada just a guess.

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Kazmarov Senior Member • Posts: 1,033

Possible candidate area? Torres del Paine, Chile? The peak on the upper right of the images seem similar ..... If right do I win a first class ticket post C19?

Conde Nast Traveller

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 +10 more
emax Senior Member • Posts: 2,027

It looks like a fake "reflection" to me, although I don't recognize the location.

peter826 Contributing Member • Posts: 736

Is that an island with a church or some other structure on it?  Very hard for me to see.

peter826's gear list:peter826's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R Sony a6000 +8 more
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,570

Looks like to me Kaz nailed the location.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

emax wrote:

It looks like a fake "reflection" to me

Agreed.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,345

I haven't tried, but do fake reflections match the tilt on the original shot? If not, then this has been faked then tilted slightly to fool people like me.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com
You are welcome to reprocess and repost my pics on DPR.

Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

jkjond wrote:

I haven't tried, but do fake reflections match the tilt on the original shot? If not, then this has been faked then tilted slightly to fool people like me.

Genuine reflections in water never match the view. In this case, if you were in the water a few hundred metres in front of the camera, you'd see quite a different image. For example, the lower parts of distant mountains would not be visible. Hence the reflection would be very different.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more

Addendum. Took me a while to find another one - my filing needs sorting. Tilt & mountain base reflections in tact. I think the original was taken from a jutting piece of land to the right of the pic below but with a longer lens and probably in autumn (April or May).

Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 6,074

There is similar geology to this in the Tombstone Mountains of the Yukon. But, given the Asian signature, perhaps the Tien Shan Mountains or Pamirs of China and Russia. I have friends who climbed in the Pamirs.

It would be away from the main bodies of glaciation but in areas that were once ice covered.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,345

Yup, it's just another digital gimmick to make unbelievable landscapes common place, even if nobody seems to care if a horizon is level or not.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com
You are welcome to reprocess and repost my pics on DPR.

Garthom Regular Member • Posts: 332

It's most likely somewhere in Tibet. If you look at the photographer's gallery (https://500px.com/p/vcg-liwnphoto?view=photos), the photo right next to it has Mt. Yala in the background and was taken 2 days before the photo in question (assuming the info for the photos is correct). It also just looks like the right type of topography and the structure (temple?) in the center of the photo is a pretty good indication that it's that part of the world anyway.

OP tarakanchik Senior Member • Posts: 1,063

Thank you (and everyone else) for replying!  I also thought it was somewhere in Asia for all the reasons you mentioned (particularly the distant temple) but couldn't quite figure out where specifically.

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

FWIW, the tilt is my fault for taking a a picture of the screen crookedly.  If you choose to follow the link in the OP (it's 500px), you'll see that the horizon is level.  Not sure if it changes the opinion of the reflection being fake, however.

-- hide signature --

Not sure you saw my post. However if you feel it is Asia ... so be it! 😊

I did see it and you still very well might be correct :).  I will try to do more research.

-- hide signature --

(for those curious) I think I found it

While still not 100% sure. I believe the area where this was shot is called Lian Bao Ye Ze

-- hide signature --

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,275
Re: (for those curious) I think I found it

tarakanchik wrote:

While still not 100% sure. I believe the area where this was shot is called Lian Bao Ye Ze

I only found this which seems different:

https://lovepik.com/image-501044485/lian-bao-ye-zzalco.html

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
ssww Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: (for those curious) I think I found it

tarakanchik wrote:

I think you have nailed it. See the bottom three photos on on this page: https://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404242911939198652

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads