Orion Nebula M42 with P950

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Aisse Gaertner
Aisse Gaertner Contributing Member • Posts: 955
Orion Nebula M42 with P950

I did use my brother's tracker tripod mount but I need more tests and tracking accuracy to try stacking.

Here it is 12 light-years from us!

I don't know why it's showing 30s in my photo details after upload. As you can see it was 60s exposure

Gear

Hope you like it!

Aisse Gaertner's gear list:Aisse Gaertner's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Irix 15mm F2.4 +1 more
MPg1 Regular Member • Posts: 283
Re: Orion Nebula M42 with P950

Nice image for a single exposure! You have a small secondary image for all the stars, it seems something went wrong with tracking or maybe a n hiccup of the tripod

I have had this camera for a week now and did not consider astrophoto when I purchased it, these threads are making me want to try, I also have a small tracker, a polarie. I'm not sure it would be up to the task: 2000 mm is demanding on tracking and on polar alignment. But sure I will try.

Thanks for sharing

Marco

MPg1's gear list:MPg1's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Aisse Gaertner
OP Aisse Gaertner Contributing Member • Posts: 955

MPg1 wrote:

Nice image for a single exposure! You have a small secondary image for all the stars, it seems something went wrong with tracking or maybe a n hiccup of the tripod

I have had this camera for a week now and did not consider astrophoto when I purchased it, these threads are making me want to try, I also have a small tracker, a polarie. I'm not sure it would be up to the task: 2000 mm is demanding on tracking and on polar alignment. But sure I will try.

Thanks for sharing

Marco

Ops! I did upload the wrong file trying to solve the exif problem

here is the right one

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067

Aisse Gaertner wrote:

MPg1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing

Marco

Ops! I did upload the wrong file trying to solve the exif problem

here is the right one

Wow, super fantastic night sky picture!

Thanks Aisse for sharing your setup,

really helpful for the forum members.

Thanks for sharing & happy snapping.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** No response = ignore list ***
*** Trash-talker won't rule us ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
alandalsong Regular Member • Posts: 183

Again, a great capture.

By looking at you JPEG straightly out of the camera, may I assume that the Nebula wasn't really visible on the back LED or EVF because it's not in the center of the picture?

Look forward to your reply. Thanks!

alandalsong's gear list:alandalsong's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
jshen808

alandalsong wrote:

Again, a great capture.

By looking at you JPEG straightly out of the camera, may I assume that the Nebula wasn't really visible on the back LED or EVF because it's not in the center of the picture?

It appears can be "seen" on the LCD display.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

did you check the refreshing rates for both LCD and EVF?  The photo took 60s.

I suspected the second photo was "viewing" on the camera after the photo was taken.

Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
jshen808

alandalsong wrote:

did you check the refreshing rates for both LCD and EVF? The photo took 60s.

I suspected the second photo was "viewing" on the camera after the photo was taken.

You responded to my post, and I did not take this picture.

Hopefully, Aisse will read this and respond to you.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

Aisse Gaertner

alandalsong wrote:

Again, a great capture.

You’re only capable to see it once the exposure is done. So I was shooting and composing until I get satisfied with the nebula position in the frame.

Aisse Gaertner

jshen808 wrote:

alandalsong wrote:

did you check the refreshing rates for both LCD and EVF? The photo took 60s.

You responded to my post, and I did not take this picture.

Hopefully, Aisse will read this and respond to you.

Cheers!

Yep! That’s is not the live view. 
It is an image review.

jshen808

Aisse Gaertner wrote:

Yep! That’s is not the live view.
It is an image review.

Thanks for your sharings, Aisse!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
*** Photography is about fun ***

it must be very difficult to adjust your angle, blindly, to position the Nebula in your composition.

From one of your photos, you seem to have a very interesting (maybe unconventional) set-up to allow you make very fine actuation. Could you please share with us?

I have already assumed that your tracker was not part of the above actuation once it had been calibrated.

Thanks!

Aisse Gaertner

alandalsong wrote:

it must be very difficult to adjust your angle, blindly, to position the Nebula in your composition.

From one of your photos, you seem to have a very interesting (maybe unconventional) set-up to allow you make very fine actuation. Could you please share with us?

I have already assumed that your tracker was not part of the above actuation once it had been calibrated.

Thanks!

It’s a Celestron setup. I just did take off the telescope. It’s not automatic and a little outdated in comparison with newer trackers. Combining this with the difficulty of alignment to the South Pole..  the result was not so precise

OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Veteran Member • Posts: 7,851

excellent image- I accidentally clicked the OK in your picture lol! sorry force of habit!

so you can use 60 sec exposure up to ISO 1600?  Is this from the raw?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Nebula

also this nebula is around 1,350 light years away!

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
OutsideTheMatrix

jshen808 wrote:

alandalsong wrote:

Again, a great capture.

Cheers!

nice catch....I wonder if that is the preview or the review after the picture was taken

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
OutsideTheMatrix

Aisse Gaertner wrote:

alandalsong wrote:

Again, a great capture.

You’re only capable to see it once the exposure is done. So I was shooting and composing until I get satisfied with the nebula position in the frame.

How did you focus Aisse?  Did you use the infinity focus feature?

-- hide signature --

OutsideTheMatrix

Aisse Gaertner wrote:

alandalsong wrote:

Thanks!

It’s a Celestron setup. I just did take off the telescope. It’s not automatic and a little outdated in comparison with newer trackers. Combining this with the difficulty of alignment to the South Pole.. the result was not so precise

celeston se mount?  I have that!

one thing I cant figure out though, the image was taken at 2000mm efl....and I have read that M42 fills the frame at 1200mm efl.....

can you also try M31 the andromeda galaxy too?  it is supposed to fill the frame at 600mm efl but I have seen images that do not fill it even at 1200mm efl....I wonder how that is?

-- hide signature --

jshen808

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

alandalsong wrote:

Again, a great capture.

Cheers!

nice catch....I wonder if that is the preview or the review after the picture was taken

Actually, will need to read Aisse's reply at the below posted link.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4549089#forum-post-64776194

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
*** Photography is about fun ***

Aisse Gaertner

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

excellent image- I accidentally clicked the OK in your picture lol! sorry force of habit!

so you can use 60 sec exposure up to ISO 1600? Is this from the raw?

Yep I just checked here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Nebula

also this nebula is around 1,350 light years away!

ops! My bad.. 12 light years is the radius

Aisse Gaertner

You’re right it’s a preview

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads