Canon R5 busy?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
r5shooter New Member • Posts: 6
Canon R5 busy?

Hi,

I got the Canon R5 and Sony tough 128GB memory card which works great for capturing 120fps 4K footage and 8k raw.

But I have this issue where the camera often is busy for an extended period of time after shooting a few photos and switching to video to record 4K 120fps. Is this normal or do I have some setting on that I am not aware of that would cause this?

I can take say 5 photos with 15seconds and switch to 4K 120fps, and having to wait maybe 30 seconds while the camera says BUSY.

Cheers

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,841
Re: Canon R5 busy?

Never had that happen. Have you formatted the card yet?

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,532

Sounds like an issue with the card, not the camera. I have an Angelbird type B CFExpress card, and, at first, it took 5-10 seconds before the camera was "ready" after it was turned on with the card operating in the camera. After a December firmware fix, using the same card, the camera is now ready to use almost instantly at turn on. Check out using a different card or using a good type II SD card at the highest (but lesser than your CFExpress card's) maximum video setting available and see if the same slowdown occurs.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
OP r5shooter New Member • Posts: 6

I tried a few different cards, all the same. I also changed the setting to lower quality 4K video without any difference.

Basically, if I shoot 10 photos quickly (say within 10 seconds) and quickly change to Video mode - I have to wait at least 20 seconds before the "BUSY" goes away. This happens on all the memory cards including the CFExpress 128GB Sony card.

Can someone test this? Try to take 10 photos quickly and then quickly change to 4K video mode and try to record, do you also have to wait for 20seconds before BUSY goes away?

Thanks

Yes, low-level formatted the card.

Tazz93
Not here

r5shooter wrote:

I tried a few different cards, all the same. I also changed the setting to lower quality 4K video without any difference.

Basically, if I shoot 10 photos quickly (say within 10 seconds) and quickly change to Video mode - I have to wait at least 20 seconds before the "BUSY" goes away. This happens on all the memory cards including the CFExpress 128GB Sony card.

Can someone test this? Try to take 10 photos quickly and then quickly change to 4K video mode and try to record, do you also have to wait for 20seconds before BUSY goes away?

Thanks

Tried it and mine had no wait after pounding out about 40 shots and jumping in to 4k 120, 60, or 8k.

What firmware are you on?

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Re: Not here

Thank you. I am on 1.2.0. I think I will take a trip to Canon Service to have it checked out.

Wonder if there is some setting I might have turned on that can be the cause of this?

Tazz93

r5shooter wrote:

Thank you. I am on 1.2.0. I think I will take a trip to Canon Service to have it checked out.

Wonder if there is some setting I might have turned on that can be the cause of this?

That was going to be my next question. Try resetting to default, I know it sucks, and see how it works.

-- hide signature --

I found the mistake. It only happens when I got DLO enabled. Maybe this forum post will help someone like me in the future, as its been driving me crazy for the better part of the last month.

Thanks everyone!

Edward Leiken Forum Member • Posts: 83

What is DLO?

-- hide signature --

Dyslexics are teople poo.

Edward Leiken's gear list:Edward Leiken's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM +1 more
Big-Al Forum Member • Posts: 54

Edward Leiken wrote:

What is DLO?

-

Recent Canon cameras (example: EOS RP) have a function called Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO).

The Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software also has the same DLO feature.

Apparently, DLO is using some proprietary technology to improve image quality by taking into account the full workings of all parts of the camera sensor including any colour (Bayer) / anti-aliasing filters, and the full workings of the lens (including diffraction caused by the aperture), and thus should be able to improve picture quality considerably.

Rawpaul
Rawpaul Senior Member • Posts: 2,519

r5shooter wrote:

Hi,

I got the Canon R5 and Sony tough 128GB memory card which works great for capturing 120fps 4K footage and 8k raw.

But I have this issue where the camera often is busy for an extended period of time after shooting a few photos and switching to video to record 4K 120fps. Is this normal or do I have some setting on that I am not aware of that would cause this?

I can take say 5 photos with 15seconds and switch to 4K 120fps, and having to wait maybe 30 seconds while the camera says BUSY.

Cheers

Hi , you should always format your cards in the camera you use in this case the ~R5

otherwise it won't work as it should .

-- hide signature --

light is the source of all life.....

Rawpaul's gear list:Rawpaul's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads