Is this a crazy idea? Putting K3 Inks in a 7890 (which uses HDR) with a Custom Profile

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Johnny261 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Is this a crazy idea? Putting K3 Inks in a 7890 (which uses HDR) with a Custom Profile

Hey Guys,

So I picked up a 7890 recently off of Craiglist for a decent price.  I'm going to go the aftermarket cartridge route as I've done with all my previous printers.  I've never seen anyone do this before, but was wondering if it would be possible to use the Epson K3 inks and then just get custom profiles (since I only use 2 types of paper).

Of course nobody really knows the difference between the two types of ink, but from what I gather online they are very similar.  Also from checking out 3rd party ink suppliers like Ink Owl for example, they even call some Inks Ultrachrome K3/HDR which leads me to believe it is very similar.

The reason why I want to do this as opposed to just buying HDR inks, is I have a 7880 which may have died (not 100% sure on the prognosis yet and whether or not I will try to revive it), but have literally thousands of dollars of ink left.  So a little hassle to make it work would be well worth it.

Just want to see if anyone sees any glaring issues with this plan, so I don't ruin a perfectly good "new" (at least to me) printer.

Btw, you guys on here are literally the best.  Probably the most helpful forum I've ever been on.

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,980
Re: Is this a crazy idea? Putting K3 Inks in a 7890 (which uses HDR) with a Custom Profile

The x900 heads are the most prone to plug of any heads Epson ever made even with their own HD ink (my 9900 is in a landfill someplace), so putting K3 ink in them could easily cost you your head.

mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +1 more
Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,001
The 7890 does use the K3 ink set.

From Epson........

Introducing the new Epson Stylus Pro 7890 and 9890 printers

Representing a new standard of excellence, the Epson Stylus Pro 890 series incorporates our latest achievements in photographic ink jet technology. By combining the precision of our MicroPiezo® TFP® print head with the proven performance of our eight-color Epson UltraChrome K3® with Vivid Magenta, our newest generation of Epson Stylus Pro printers continue to represent a level of technology unprecedented in Epson's history.

Bob P.

OP Johnny261 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Is this a crazy idea? Putting K3 Inks in a 7890 (which uses HDR) with a Custom Profile

Thanks for the info.  Yeah I knew the heads were finnicky, but wasn't sure how that related to the ink or not.  In my mind, ink is just ink, but perhaps that is not so.

Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,868

Johnny261 wrote:

Hey Guys,

So I picked up a 7890 recently off of Craiglist for a decent price. I'm going to go the aftermarket cartridge route as I've done with all my previous printers. I've never seen anyone do this before, but was wondering if it would be possible to use the Epson K3 inks and then just get custom profiles (since I only use 2 types of paper).

Of course nobody really knows the difference between the two types of ink, but from what I gather online they are very similar. Also from checking out 3rd party ink suppliers like Ink Owl for example, they even call some Inks Ultrachrome K3/HDR which leads me to believe it is very similar.

The reason why I want to do this as opposed to just buying HDR inks, is I have a 7880 which may have died (not 100% sure on the prognosis yet and whether or not I will try to revive it), but have literally thousands of dollars of ink left. So a little hassle to make it work would be well worth it.

Just want to see if anyone sees any glaring issues with this plan, so I don't ruin a perfectly good "new" (at least to me) printer.

Btw, you guys on here are literally the best. Probably the most helpful forum I've ever been on.

Is the "new-to-you" 7890 actually up and running? In your place? After transport/delivery?

If so, cherish your time with it now, for it will not be long.

If not, I hope you can immediately get your money back, because if there are any nozzle issues at all, you will be led down a deep rabbit hole of endless, useless cleaning cycles/calibration and further failure.

Don't ask me how I know this (twice).

Rich

It's not set up at yet as I have to move some stuff around, but the nozzle check was clear when I purchased it, so hoping that will means it is okay.

Vogelkop Junior Member • Posts: 34

I just went through a few weeks rescuing a 7900. It uses the sam ink as the 7890 plus green and orange.
The black and yellow were clogged ,so I hacked a driver to swap the ink to use green and orange instead.. So basically I am printing on the same colors as you are..

I got this answer, when I asked a german company about their K3 (HD) inks. Maybe it is useful for your considerations:

Q:

I own the following Epson printers that I want to refill:

r2400
P600
PRO 3800
PRO 7900 (I am not using green/orange)

Do you sell bulk ink that will fit in ALL of these printers?

Will I have to use different magenta/vivid magenta, or can I use the same?

A:
officially the printers R2400 and Pro3800 are using a Ultrachrome K3 compatible ink, the printer P600 needs a HD ink, and 7900 needs HDR compatible.
But from technical view, you can reduce it to one ink for all these printers, we recommend to use the Pigmera HD inkset. Maybe, you have to use custom icc-profiles for the printers R2400 and Pro3800, but i am not sure because we didn´t tested this ink in these printers. But i think, it will work without colorcast.

Thanks for that info!  That is extremely helpful.

I paid about $750 CAD (like $550 USD) for the printer so I am not overly concerned about damaging it as it wasn't a huge investment. It was just low on one cartridge, so I'll probably just buy an OEM one for that and get a feel for the printer first before deciding if it is worth risking the change to K3s.

As long as it works without clogging (so many sad reports on how often that happens) it is one hell of a machine..
I know it in and out after spending weeks taking it apart, even taking out the printhead and soaking it (with no luck for the two channels that are clogged).
Please feel free to reach out for me if you need any info from my fresh memory regarding this model.

Alexey Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

I’ve been usung HDR inks in my K3 printer for a while. It works perfectly with no need for custom profiles. From all the sources I’ve seen HDR is exactly the same ink as K3, except with additional colors to give you better longevity and make you spend a bit more on wasted ink.

HDR inks have better fade performance. But this is not because of different chemistry. Rather HDR inkset printers use less of K3 yellow ink, which is the weakest link in K3 inkset.

I personally wouldn’t hesitate to use K3 inks in HDR printer and wouldn’t even bother with custom profiles.

HDX inks, on the other hand, are a different kind of ink than HDR. Don’t use that ink in K3 printers or vice versa without color profiling. HDR is K3 ink. HDX ink is HD ink.

Alexey wrote:

I’ve been usung HDR inks in my K3 printer for a while. It works perfectly with no need for custom profiles. From all the sources I’ve seen HDR is exactly the same ink as K3, except with additional colors to give you better longevity and make you spend a bit more on wasted ink.

HDR inks have better fade performance. But this is not because of different chemistry. Rather HDR inkset printers use less of K3 yellow ink, which is the weakest link in K3 inkset.

I personally wouldn’t hesitate to use K3 inks in HDR printer and wouldn’t even bother with custom profiles.

HDX inks, on the other hand, are a different kind of ink than HDR. Don’t use that ink in K3 printers or vice versa without color profiling. HDR is K3 ink. HDX ink is HD ink.

Hey thanks for sharing that.  That's really good to know.  So I feel much more confident in giving it a try.  I'll report back after on how it goes!

Alexey wrote:

Hi Alexey,
I am about to start refilling a Epson Pro 9800 with HDR pigments from 7900's
Can I ask you: Which K3 printer have you been refilling with HDR inks? And for how long?
Thanks!
Ronald

I’ve been refilling 4880 for about two years now and a 7800 (same as your 9800), for a few months. I do not see any need to calibrate or make custom profiles. The ink fits perfectly and with calibrated monitor and some old expired HDR inks, I am getting exactly what I see on the monitor. No more clogs than with factory cartridges.

Just remember that 9800 takes magenta and light magenta, not vivid magentas that hdr printers use! If you use those colors, you may need a custom profile.   All other colors should work fine.

Alexey wrote:

I’ve been refilling 4880 for about two years now and a 7800 (same as your 9800), for a few months

Thanks. Good to hear!
Just to be completely sure: You are refilling with HDR inks (like those found in the X900 series, right?

Yes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads