What should I have this landscape printed on?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
DavidB2 Contributing Member • Posts: 513
What should I have this landscape printed on?

I'm thinking of having this rainbow landscape printed large for the wall, but I'm not sure what would show off the light captured in it best. Regular Luster photo paper? Metallic paper? Some other medium? Thanks for any suggestions!

DavidB2's gear list:DavidB2's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +16 more
gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,726
Do it as a metal print on aluminium n/t
-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
———————————————————————------
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
sinkas Senior Member • Posts: 1,599
Re: What should I have this landscape printed on?

If you are putting reflective glass on top, lustre should be fine. No glass and it would look nice on metallic paper - something like Chromajet pearl I think.

-- hide signature --
 sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +5 more
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,942

You're going to get different suggestions from different people, which only proves that the best choice is ultimately a matter of personal preference. Yours may not be the same as theirs.'

Here's my suggestion: unless you choose to have it printed on material you've used before (and liked), first get it printed on something like an 8.5x11 size so that you have a MUCH better idea of what the final large print will look like.

Personally, my choice in my home is dictated by where I plan to hang it. I put up an empty frame with glass or plexiglass in it to see how strong the reflections will be during various times of the day. If reflections will be a big problem, then I choose a matte finish behind non-reflective glass.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper 1
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Samyang 35mm F1.4 +6 more
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,877

DavidB2 wrote:

I'm thinking of having this rainbow landscape printed large for the wall, but I'm not sure what would show off the light captured in it best. Regular Luster photo paper? Metallic paper? Some other medium? Thanks for any suggestions!

Any of the above, or none of the above? Who is doing the printing? They should have on their website at least descriptions if not examples of each material or paper they offer.

Below is from the online printer Metal & Paper, the printer you are going to use should have something similar to give you a starting point.

METAL PRINTS
Incredible glossy finishes, deep rich color, and brilliant presentation. Rich, luxurious dyes are fused into our Metal Fusion Prints at high temperatures, creating a resilient, resplendent object to tell your story.

ACRYLICS
Prints face mounted to acrylic for the richest color and greatest depth of any display method.

Kodak Endura Glossy
A shiny and highly reflective paper, displaying bold and vibrant colors. Kodak Gloss is free from the deglossing and other drawbacks of inkjet gloss papers. Kodak Glossy has a wide color gamut, all the while maintaining clean whites, rich blacks, and realistic skin tones

Fuji Crystal Archive Pearl
This pearlescent metallic paper gives a unique glow to your photographic prints. Similar to Kodak’s "metallic" paper, Fuji Crystal Archive Pearl brings the illustrious depth of mother-of-pearl to your prints, with natural mica and metal oxides in the paper. Through an interplay of transparency, refraction, coating and multiple reflections, one can discern silver-white and metallic effects. Fuji Pearl is known for giving an intense warmth and depth to your images, with an expanded color reproduction range and high color saturation.

Fujiflex SuperGloss
Fujiflex Crystal Archive SuperGloss uses a unique polyester base that gives it an incredible gloss and creates a depth and dimensional quality that has to be seen to be believed. This depth helps Fujiflex SuperGloss prints reflect more light which makes them more brilliant than other papers, and the colors are deeper and richer than even Pearl or Metallic papers. Fujiflex color reproduction is clear and bright yet highly saturated, giving the resulting prints a heightened sense of color realism.

Sometimes you can call the printer and speak to somebody knowledgeable, even email them a copy of the file and they can make recommendations based on the file and your expectations.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
sinkas Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

Sometimes you can call the printer and speak to somebody knowledgeable, even email them a copy of the file and they can make recommendations based on the file and your expectations.

There is the printers and printing forum on this site that has very knowledgeable people on it as many of us do our own printing. Professional printers also frequent the site.

-- hide signature --
 sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +5 more
GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,398

Metallic might give it some shimmer.  gc

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,952

metallic,. however it does reflect light to give glare.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads