M1 Macbook Air & Photoshop question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
LakeSuperior1 Forum Member • Posts: 76
M1 Macbook Air & Photoshop question

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm looking for a new small laptop to carry in my camera bag. It will not be my main computer. Just an if needed on location machine. But when needed, it will be used with PS and CaptureOne. I never do batch editing. I'm strictly one photo at a time. All of the videos I see regarding PS with the M1 are stress tests with 20 tabs open, batch editing, ect.. The 8gb 256gb version fits perfectly for me in terms of price & physical size. How well does it work just using it a photo at a time without being under the stress situations all the test show? I know some will say get the 16gb version to be safe. Not really an option. I can get Windows machines that fit my needs with 16gb at that price point if needed (I'm good with either system). Thanks in advance for any advice!

LakeSuperior1's gear list:LakeSuperior1's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,120
Re: M1 Macbook Air & Photoshop question

LakeSuperior1 wrote:

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm looking for a new small laptop to carry in my camera bag. It will not be my main computer. Just an if needed on location machine. But when needed, it will be used with PS and CaptureOne. I never do batch editing. I'm strictly one photo at a time. All of the videos I see regarding PS with the M1 are stress tests with 20 tabs open, batch editing, ect.. The 8gb 256gb version fits perfectly for me in terms of price & physical size. How well does it work just using it a photo at a time without being under the stress situations all the test show? I know some will say get the 16gb version to be safe. Not really an option. I can get Windows machines that fit my needs with 16gb at that price point if needed (I'm good with either system). Thanks in advance for any advice!

I don't have one, but I have seen some of those tests and the devil is in the details. If having to wait for a local adjustment or filter to render for a few seconds is going to ruin your day, then yeah, maybe wait. But I would guess that if concerns like that were the case here you wouldn't even be considering a first gen machine.

On at least one video I saw it had some issues with really huge files because on his machine it seemed to run out of scratch space, but in a way that's good, because it can use it well.

And that's all on Rosetta. Ps native is already in public beta and it should perform even better, so if the Rosetta version seems 80% likely to work fine for you on an 8GB machine then a faster version on the near horizon bodes well. I suppose it could want more RAM somehow, but still, this is a second machine.

Not sure about Capture One.

strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 1,603

LakeSuperior1 wrote:

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm looking for a new small laptop to carry in my camera bag.

Make sure you don't put too much stress on it - it thin laptop tend to bend.

It will not be my main computer. Just an if needed on location machine. But when needed, it will be used with PS and CaptureOne. I never do batch editing. I'm strictly one photo at a time. All of the videos I see regarding PS with the M1 are stress tests with 20 tabs open, batch editing, ect.. The 8gb 256gb version fits perfectly for me in terms of price & physical size. How well does it work just using it a photo at a time without being under the stress situations all the test show? I know some will say get the 16gb version to be safe. Not really an option. I can get Windows machines that fit my needs with 16gb at that price point if needed (I'm good with either system). Thanks in advance for any advice!

strawbale's gear list:strawbale's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800
tedwill48167 Contributing Member • Posts: 829

I have used the new 13 inch MacBook Pro MI for a couple of months now.  It's an order of magnitude faster than my 7 year old MBP and my ThinkPad.  It works very fast for single photos and batch.  Very fast.  It fits very easily in a small bag or backpack. It makes no noise and does not have a fan and generates very little heat.  I'm using Photoshop, Lightroom and ACR.

-- hide signature --

'There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.'
-Ansel Adams

tedwill48167's gear list:tedwill48167's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
OP LakeSuperior1 Forum Member • Posts: 76

tedwill48167 wrote:

I have used the new 13 inch MacBook Pro MI for a couple of months now. It's an order of magnitude faster than my 7 year old MBP and my ThinkPad. It works very fast for single photos and batch. Very fast. It fits very easily in a small bag or backpack. It makes no noise and does not have a fan and generates very little heat. I'm using Photoshop, Lightroom and ACR.

Thanks! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

Sony a7R II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 16,310

LakeSuperior1 wrote:

tedwill48167 wrote:

I have used the new 13 inch MacBook Pro MI for a couple of months now. It's an order of magnitude faster than my 7 year old MBP and my ThinkPad. It works very fast for single photos and batch. Very fast. It fits very easily in a small bag or backpack. It makes no noise and does not have a fan and generates very little heat. I'm using Photoshop, Lightroom and ACR.

Thanks! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

Actually it's the M1 Macbook Air that does not have a fan. The M1 Macbook 13 has one, though it seldom comes on, because the system on chip generates very little heat. See the Maintenance section of this review:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-2020-Laptop-Review-The-entry-level-Pro-also-gets-the-M1-performance-boost.510883.0.html

I bought M1 Macbook Air to replace an old Samsung tablet, because price was only a bit higher than a new tablet. I'm not a Photoshop user, but I can say DxO PhotoLab runs Deep PRIME noise reduction 2-3x faster than my 2014 Macbook 15.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,785

CA, have you tried having the Air feed an external monitor?

Thanks.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 16,310

Gesture wrote:

CA, have you tried having the Air feed an external monitor?

Yes, Peter Foiles recommended a Hyperdrive so I bought their Duo at Best Buy for $79. Most of the time all ports are connected except one USB-C. Nice to have both SD and microSD.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64730317

The HDMI connection gets very warm, so I moved the power input to the furthest USB-C port, and replaced white cable with black for better heat dissipation.

The connected monitor is LG 27UK650 (4K), same as I used with Linux.

kwahaus Forum Member • Posts: 63

I have the new M1 MBA, but I did opt for the 16GB/1TB model, so my experience may be different. I am also using the beta version of PS and have a LG 32" 4K monitor. Yesterday I was doing a bit of retouching on a 117MB image without issue. None. Seems fine to me.

kwahaus's gear list:kwahaus's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +12 more
OP LakeSuperior1 Forum Member • Posts: 76

Thanks for the input! I went ahead and picked up the base model (8gb 256gb) and so far I am beyond impressed. Downloaded both Photoshop & Capture One (Sony edition) and so far both have handled everything I have thrown at them in my testing without a single issue. Based on my needs, I have no doubt this will work out great!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads