EOS R5 audible noise from the camera: integrated fan or IBIS?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jAcKz New Member • Posts: 22
EOS R5 audible noise from the camera: integrated fan or IBIS?

Hi EOS R5 owners,

I've recently purchased an R5 and overall, I'm very happy with the camera. Pretty much the only thing that I find a bit distracting is that once turned on, the camera produces a very slight but audible noise. I cannot hear it outdoors or in most indoor environments, but if it's quiet indoors and I use the EVF so that I have my ears very close to the camera, it's audible and distracting.

I bought the camera end of December when it finally was in stock again (after being out of stock for many months), so my first assumption was that Canon may have integrated a fan in reaction to the overheating shitstorm. I checked with Canon and they said that the noise is from the IBIS unit, explaining that the noise persists even when IBIS is off because the sensor needs to be kept in a "neutral" position. It seems strange to me that none of the reviews I've read mentions this noise though. I also couldn't find any user reports about it.

Do your R5's produce this noise as well? Would be good to know if this is to be expected and if it has been the case with units from the first production run as well.

Thank you!

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gium Senior Member • Posts: 1,613
Re: EOS R5 audible noise from the camera: integrated fan or IBIS?

Yes mine makes this IS sound as well. It sounds like the IS of a lens, but softer. The R5 has IBIS so I put two and two together and concluded it was the slight humming sound of the IBIS. Thanks for reporting Canon confirms that.
It doesn't bother me at all, it's so soft.

gium's gear list:gium's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +8 more
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,749
None for me

I can't pick up any noise from the camera. Lens, definitely, but not the camera.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Funny Valentine
Funny Valentine Contributing Member • Posts: 962

I can hear it when I put it on a table in quiet room. It's a very low buzzing sound from the IBIS.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Edward Leiken Forum Member • Posts: 68

Yeah, I heard this a few days ago when it was really really really quiet (doesn't happen much in my world). To me it almost sounded like a tiny fan but I think I was projecting. My camera was not warm at all and I'd only taken maybe 300 shots in the prior hour. Could it be a fan(?), it doesn't really make sense as there is no exhaust. I didn't even think about the IBIS because it was sitting on my desk with the lens cap on.

-- hide signature --

Dyslexics are teople poo.

Edward Leiken's gear list:Edward Leiken's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM +1 more
OP jAcKz New Member • Posts: 22

I agree that even if Canon decided to integrate a fan in order to cool things down, they would be foolish to let it run all the time rather than only spinning it up when necessary.

Generally speaking, I think a fan could help even if there was no exhaust though, it could help to get more even heat distribution throughout the unit rather than having a prominent hot spot.

axlotl Senior Member • Posts: 2,100

jAcKz wrote:

Hi EOS R5 owners,

I've recently purchased an R5 and overall, I'm very happy with the camera. Pretty much the only thing that I find a bit distracting is that once turned on, the camera produces a very slight but audible noise. I cannot hear it outdoors or in most indoor environments, but if it's quiet indoors and I use the EVF so that I have my ears very close to the camera, it's audible and distracting.

I bought the camera end of December when it finally was in stock again (after being out of stock for many months), so my first assumption was that Canon may have integrated a fan in reaction to the overheating shitstorm. I checked with Canon and they said that the noise is from the IBIS unit, explaining that the noise persists even when IBIS is off because the sensor needs to be kept in a "neutral" position. It seems strange to me that none of the reviews I've read mentions this noise though. I also couldn't find any user reports about it.

Do your R5's produce this noise as well? Would be good to know if this is to be expected and if it has been the case with units from the first production run as well.

Thank you!

HI, It's just the IBIS unit. It will self cancel with a little beep after about 6 seconds if the camera is idle. I can't hear the IBIS noise or the beep unless my ageing ear is pressed right against the camera body.

Andrew

Revenant Regular Member • Posts: 161

It's not mentioned in reviews because it's part of normal operation. IBIS "humming" has been a known phenomenon at least since the release of the Olympus E-M5, which was the first camera I remember being widely discussed in this respect. It was also the first one with 5-axis IBIS. I don't recall any mention of humming in relation to the earlier 2- and 3-axis systems used by various manufacturers.

OP jAcKz New Member • Posts: 22

Thank you for the info, I wasn't aware of this!

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,340
Re: None for me

Tazz93 wrote:

I can't pick up any noise from the camera. Lens, definitely, but not the camera.

Then your IBIS is broken

aaaja Regular Member • Posts: 198

with my 67y old ears i do need to put them on the body to hear the noise. For me no problem, because we never use the Audio recorded by the cam else then sync the 'real' audio recording, done with an external recorder, in post in Final Cut. I wonder what happens, when people put a very sensitiv Microphone on the hot shoe for recording? The noise by a handheld and or manipulated cam, i guess, is  much higher .. the IS System, when it comes to noise, is about similar to the sound of the AF-Motor of the RF 24-70 2.8. jAcKz , yu seem to have incredible ears. but also maybe this is a (small) problem with (remote contreolled?) animal photography?

-- hide signature --

Rawpaul
Rawpaul Senior Member • Posts: 2,494

jAcKz wrote:

Hi EOS R5 owners,

Thank you!

Now you mentioned it and i really try hard i can hear something.

That said it doesn,t bother me at all.

-- hide signature --

light is the source of all life.....

Rawpaul's gear list:Rawpaul's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads